Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

All three of my local dealers will also only do a 5-wheel rotation if you specifically request, but it's not a big deal, just have to remember to mention it.

HOWEVER

If you're learning to do your own maintenance, this should be a non-issue after those three freebies. Get yourself an impact driver and the whole job should take less than 30 minutes.
Sponsored

Bmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2012 JK, 2011 WK2 5.7
I do an "improper" 5-tire rotation by just rotating clockwise every ~3000 miles. I've done this an all our Wranglers and always had perfect tire wear and mileage above the mfr tread wear rating. The rotation pattern, IMHO, is not as critical as doing it consistently and no more than 2000-3000 mile intervals. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Personally, I never trust a dealer to do basic maintenance no matter how good they might be at other things (yeah, I'm fortunate to have a couple good ones nearby, but...).

c20040215

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S; 2023 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™ve done 4 tire rotation for all my Jeeps over many years.
if you do five they get to sell you five tires.
if you rotate four when it comes time to buy tires you buy four, but put your spare on as one of the four and a newly purchased one as spare. Now for the guys that have all kinds of disposable income and change wheels and tires when they want it really doesnā€™t matter. Thatā€™s ok do your thing. Capitalism at work. Itā€™s what makes the world go around.
Not argue which one is better but from the cost prospective, If you rotate all 5, you increase the tire buying interval.

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Pink RHD Wrangler 2015 RHD Wrangler
Just got new tires and I'll go with the 5 tires for sure
And myself for sure to make sure they get done right, I doubt the dealer would do all 5 without trying to charge extra labor for the weight anyways
One awesome thing about Jeeps is its fun to just work on them if your not in a rush
Sounds like a Beer job for sure šŸ»
Unsure about the proper torque as the factory seemed to torque at 100 - 105 ft pounds and yet they tell us 130 is correct ???

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
All three of my local dealers will also only do a 5-wheel rotation if you specifically request, but it's not a big deal, just have to remember to mention it.

HOWEVER

If you're learning to do your own maintenance, this should be a non-issue after those three freebies. Get yourself an impact driver and the whole job should take less than 30 minutes.
It is a decent workout too. Makes you feel that you earned that beer.

Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time

My problem:

Everyone I've read here talks about using the 5 tire cross on their own vehicles.
Youtube (take your pick) talks about 5 tire cross (Including ChreeperJeeperTV)
The 2023 Jeep Wrangler downloadable manual says 5 tire cross.
Every reference I can find online says 5 tire cross, to include KBB, BF Goodrich, Art of Manliness, etc.

Where are they getting their information from? How can I verify?
-emphasis added

You did. It's like the story of the pastor waiting on top of the roof while the town floods. Several people come by with boats and ask him to get in. He says God will save me. After he drowns and he's standing in heaven, he asks God why he didn't save him. God's answer, I sent three boats.

Everyone is giving you the answer, but one dealership that doesn't want to do the work. Get in the boat and rotate all five.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
if you rotate four when it comes time to buy tires you buy four, but put your spare on as one of the four and a newly purchased one as spare. Now for the guys that have all kinds of disposable income and change wheels and tires when they want it really doesnā€™t matter. Thatā€™s ok do your thing. Capitalism at work. Itā€™s what makes the world go around.
But you buy four tires 20% - 25% earlier than someone that rotates and buys all five. It's the same cost. If you drive 40k miles, each tires has 40k miles on it. If you do a five tire rotation, each tire has 35k miles on it at 40k miles on the odometer...and another 5k miles of life. So you buy tires less often.

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Rick, part of the issue is some Jeeps have issues if there are irregular tire sizes when it comes to shifting in and out of certain 4WD modes. I have even seen issues with my brothers Cherokee wher it would NOT go into 4WD due to a tire mis-match and Air Pressure issues. Needless to say my brother had no clue.

Iā€™m a fixed income retiree, so my needs are to get as much as I can out of what I have. It also keeps me active in the garage maintaining my Jeep. It sure was a work out yesterday when I went through mine and did the rotation for the first time. Itā€™s been well over 7 years since Iā€™ve done one of these and with my disabilities as such it was a work out. My joints are feeling it today! LOL!
Iā€™m in the same boat sort of. I do all the fluids tire rotations etc. in the Fl sun itā€™s a work out for sure. Take your time your retired same as me (Army)for me no hurry for anything.

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired

HOWEVER

What watch are you using? Lol

Sponsored

OP
OP
BlueMoose

BlueMoose

First Name
Blue
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2023
Occupation
Moose
Personally, I check thread depth on each tire at three locations: inner, middle and outer. Based on those values, I determine if I have an alignment issue and rotate accordingly: most used goes as spare, then back wheels and front last.

Jeeps wear tires evenly since there is no camber and toe is minimal.
Does differing tread depths = alignment issue? Or just where each tire goes with tour method?

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
But you buy four tires 20% - 25% earlier than someone that rotates and buys all five. It's the same cost. If you drive 40k miles, each tires has 40k miles on it. If you do a five tire rotation, each tire has 35k miles on it at 40k miles on the odometer...and another 5k miles of life. So you buy tires less often.
I will keep the same tires and beed locks I have. If Iā€™m still kicking when itā€™s time to get new tires. Iā€™ll purchase 4.

OP
OP
BlueMoose

BlueMoose

First Name
Blue
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2023
Occupation
Moose
The world cannot be flat. If it was, Cats would have knocked everything off by now...
I donā€™t knowā€¦got ride of just about every tabletop lamp around here because our cats sure seemed like they were trying to do exactly that :)

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
šŸ˜±šŸ™„

ABRubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR

Putting into service a 4 or 5 year old spare tire that's been rotting in the sun on the back of the Jeep and then relying it for another 4 or 5 years doesn't sound like a good plan to me.
Sponsored