Tire Rotation - 4 or 5 Tires?

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
I know there are different opinions on whether or not to include the spare in tire rotations, and some good reasons for both opinions.

My personal preference is to leave the spare out of the rotation.

I was at the dealer today for my Jeep Wave oil change and tire rotation and requested a four tire rotation. The service writer said without rotating the spare in the difference in tire circumference could be large enough to damage the transfer case in case the spare was ever needed and could lead to warranty problems.

That’s a new one to me. I know the tire size, type and circumference should be the same (per the manual) to avoid damage, but is a difference due to tire wear enough to cause problems? (And actually the rotation pattern recommended in the manual is a four tire rotation.)
Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
im all about rotating all the tires. it allows even wear. not to mention, your spare will be brand new when all the others are worn out and how often do you check that its ready to go?

i dont buy his reason though

brett

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I just had my first one done on the new tires and plan on having it done every 5k, I was going to use the free Jeep Wave rotations but after the service idiots put the wrong oil in my Jeep and have really not addressed my service needs very well I decided to take it to the DT we have dealt with for over 10 years, I rolled in and told the guy I normally deal with that I did not buy the tires there but he knew that so I asked how much it would cost to do a 5 tire rotation which is what he suggested to get the best wear and he said FREE so I jumped on that.

After it was all said and done he told me to come back every 5k and have it done and always do a 5 tire rotate, they do a clockwise rotation and I know there are all sorts of ways to do one but that’s what they do, I told him I would gladly pay something as they have been super to deal with for all out tire needs but he said no, great place to deal with or at least that particular one is

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
A large difference in tire diameters will cause extra wear on the drive line components. With five tire rotation the diameters are always close to the same. Thus, if you are past midlife (tire midlife that is) and destroy a tire, you can run on the four remaining (four tire rotation now) and buy a new one to use as a spare.

Oh yes, in the desert, five tire rotation is necessary to even up the scratches on the rims from the *^$#% vegetation. Prickly pear will really do a number on those nice shinny rims!

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
OP
OP
AlamedaJeep

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
I appreciate the replies. Sorry to start another tire rotation thread.

I was most interested in the comment from the dealer that mounting a new spare (left out of the rotation) could cause problems due to difference in the circumference. It's been mentioned once above, and once that I could find in the linked threads.

Thanks.

CanAmMick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring
Occupation
USAF Retired Helicopter mechanic
im all about rotating all the tires. it allows even wear. not to mention, your spare will be brand new when all the others are worn out and how often do you check that its ready to go?

i dont buy his reason though

brett
I rotated all of mine about 2 weeks ago when I installed my wheel spacers. I don’t want a brand new tire on the back that’s 3-4 years old when it’s time to replace these.

Jeep4Life0112

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Mojito)
Great thread. I was planning to do my first tire rotation this weekend. Just crossed 8,000 miles and want to take care of this now, then stay on an every 5,000 mile schedule. Planning to do a clockwise 5-tire rotation to allow equal wear. Glad to hear others out there agree.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Great thread. I was planning to do my first tire rotation this weekend. Just crossed 8,000 miles and want to take care of this now, then stay on an every 5,000 mile schedule. Planning to do a clockwise 5-tire rotation to allow equal wear. Glad to hear others out there agree.
From the many other threads in this topic:

upload_2018-11-30_18-8-42.png

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Well had my second rotation ( do them @5k ) anyway DT does them for free but they do a CW rotation so they drop the spare and then the passenger rear always takes its spot and so far with this rotation and being at 15k on miles my BFG KO2 315’s look brand new and I run them at 29-30 cold as that’s what a chalk test told me.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
If you are going to have dealer do the 4-tire rotation, you can easily swap your spare with the (after dealer rotated) rear passenger side, which will essentially accomplish a 5-tire rotation.

I don't want dealer do the 5-tire because my fear of them messing up my third brake light relocation, so I will use up the Jeep wave rotation and then do it by myself all the way.

The beauty of 5-tire rotation is you can actually use just the spare tire jack to accomplish it (starting from spare to rear passenger side. Although I encourage every Jeep owner to get a 3-ton floor jack and a couple of solid jack stands, DIY is so much fun on the Wrangler.

jdthird

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys
I just had my first rotation done by the dealer via the Jeep wave, and was actually disappointed when I got home to find they only rotated the 4, they ignored the spare. For me, the full sized spare has always been part of my rotations, even when my Jeeps were just grand cherokees and such...

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I just had my first rotation done by the dealer via the Jeep wave, and was actually disappointed when I got home to find they only rotated the 4, they ignored the spare. For me, the full sized spare has always been part of my rotations, even when my Jeeps were just grand cherokees and such...
Check torque on your lug nuts, if the dealers don't even know how much oil this JL takes they also might not know that the torque on the lug nuts has been upped from the JKs 85 ft pounds to the larger lug JLs 130 ft pounds.
Sponsored