OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Would this be considered for "on road" tires only and off road only tires need not apply?
@DOOKEY

Undoubtedly, you will get guys/gals posting in this thread and saying this and that... 8-)

The way I look at it is.... if you have a repaired tire let go on the trail/off road at 6 mph you have a tire that needs to be plugged again, exchanged with a spare, etc... an inconvenience .... and usually little more.. In this scenario the tire shop that did the repair does not get sued... the vehicle owner that did the repair is not sued...

On the other hand, you have a repaired tire let go (especially a front tire) at say 65-70 mph on the freeway or side road, etc., and you could have a life/death situation for all those in the vehicle plus lots more.... In this scenario, the driver is held at fault when it surfaces that the guy/gal plugged a tire that was technically not repairable....

With that said, how many actually drive their JL/JLU/JT solely off road.... say trailer their vehicle to the off road area they will traverse.... Yes, most will spend 95% or more on the interstates, etc... they drive to the off road sites also....

As for using a plug when you are off road and need to get back to civilization... sure..... I've driven out with multiple plugs in a tire.... Do I drive that same plugged tire on the interstate at 65 mph.... no....

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
I agree with your assessment that tire shops think about litigation before they think about customer service. And rightfully so. For the most part I find it valuable that the "professionals" try to keep the stupid people from doing stupid stuff. :LOL:

There are situations where fixing a tire to get back to civilization is a valuable tool. A blanket statement like your pictures suggest might lead some to believe they are stuck. When they could have optioned a solution that helped them get going again. I will always believe that an inflated tire is better than a tire without air.

I will always believe in replace versus repair. But what happens if you can't replace? Is this the thread for that discussion?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I agree with your assessment that tire shops think about litigation before they think about customer service. And rightfully so. For the most part I find it valuable that the "professionals" try to keep the stupid people from doing stupid stuff. :LOL:

There are situations where fixing a tire to get back to civilization is a valuable tool. A blanket statement like your pictures suggest might lead some to believe they are stuck. When they could have optioned a solution that helped them get going again. I will always believe that an inflated tire is better than a tire without air.

I will always believe in replace versus repair. But what happens if you can't replace? Is this the thread for that discussion?
@DOOKEY

Reread my posts..... I made no"blanket statement".... no where did I say to not plug a tire to get back to civilization, etc., if you have a blow out when off roading..

YES, I did allude to the fact that a guy or gal is pretty frucking stupid to be driving the interstate at 65 mph+, on a repaired tire that technically should not have been repaired.

The aim of this thread .... at my posting the pics showing repairable/not repairable ....was just to give those that come across the thread a clue lets say... also another aim was to get a tad bit of discussion going here in regard to tire repair... 8-)

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
@DOOKEY

Reread my posts..... I made no"blanket statement".... no where did I say to not plug a tire to get back to civilization, etc. if you have a blow out when off roading..

YES, I did allude to the fact that a guy or gal is pretty frucking stupid to be driving the interstate at 65 mph+, especially on a repaired tire that technically should not have been repaired.

The aim at my posting the pics showing repairable/not repairable was just to give those that come across the thread a clue lets say...

I get it. I was asking you if this is the thread to expand on the topic at hand. So the people too F'ing stupid to get it might have more info. :)
Sponsored