Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Where are you getting the 12V from for this air compressor?
Operating power is coming directly from the main battery. The power switch mounted above the compressor is wired to the "hot with ignition" wire in the tow package bundle under the glove box. All wiring is routed in the cabin and through the passenger side firewall grommet to reach the battery. It was a time consuming bitch, but I didn't like the method of going out through a rear seat floor drain plug and routing along the frame rail.

Jeep Wrangler JL Tire Repair kit Recommendations 20201117_112108
Sponsored

OP
OP
Carolina Jeeper

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Operating power is coming directly from the main battery. The power switch mounted above the compressor is wired to the "hot with ignition" wire in the tow package bundle under the glove box. All wiring is routed in the cabin and through the passenger side firewall grommet to reach the battery. It was a time consuming bitch, but I didn't like the method of going out through a rear seat floor drain plug and routing along the frame rail.

20201117_112108.jpg
That's a nice setup! I don't have the tow package so I'll have to wire a little differently when I get ready to mount an air compressor system. I agree with not running the wiring from back there underneath at the frame.

Currently I have a little portable unit that just can air up 4 tires after offroading. It's not really cut out for that.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
That's a nice setup! I don't have the tow package so I'll have to wire a little differently when I get ready to mount an air compressor system. I agree with not running the wiring from back there underneath at the frame.

Currently I have a little portable unit that just can air up 4 tires after offroading. It's not really cut out for that.
Thanks, buddy!

You can tap into any 12v circuit to power the arb toggle switch. The best part about the arb twin, is its 100% duty cycle and built in cooling fan will make nonstop air until the Jeep runs out of fuel. It's a worthy investment for the ability of tire independence and the option of running air tools with a tank or two added to the mix.

Vanburi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 'Mojito' JLR
Thanks, buddy!

You can tap into any 12v circuit to power the arb toggle switch. The best part about the arb twin, is its 100% duty cycle and built in cooling fan will make nonstop air until the Jeep runs out of fuel. It's a worthy investment for the ability of tire independence and the option of running air tools with a tank or two added to the mix.
Actually it will keep on working after you run out of fuel until the battery dies, ;)

Sponsored

OP
OP
Carolina Jeeper

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So i was able to find a kit made in the USA. Safety seal kits have been around a long time and I'm impressed with the quality of it. The handles are solid steel instead of hollow pot metal ones you see in the others. Case is very sturdy. I don't need a kit with side cutters, pliers, etc since I carry a tool bag. Anyway, I know I made the right decision here. The only thing I might change will be the type of plugs. I am a pro at tire repair from working on commercial and passenger vehicles for nearly 2 decades and prefer rubber plugs with vulcanizing cement.

0602211302a.jpg

0602211301.jpg

sgtmajor138

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S Freedom package
Found a 6d finishing nail in my back tire over the holiday weekend. The tires have just over 12k miles on them. Pulled the nail out and down it went. Problem is, the nail was in the outside corner tread of the tire. The tire shop says replace the tire. Is there any reason I can't give one of these kits a try or maybe even put a patch on the inside of the tire? Is it just a legal issue or is there some reason it can't be plugged/patched?

OP
OP
Carolina Jeeper

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Found a 6d finishing nail in my back tire over the holiday weekend. The tires have just over 12k miles on them. Pulled the nail out and down it went. Problem is, the nail was in the outside corner tread of the tire. The tire shop says replace the tire. Is there any reason I can't give one of these kits a try or maybe even put a patch on the inside of the tire? Is it just a legal issue or is there some reason it can't be plugged/patched?
The issue is that the area your nail hole is in flexes a lot and can lead to a side wall blowout at some point or at least not remain leak free. This area is not typically as robust as the tread/pavement contact area. So that's it in a nutshell. It's all about the sidewall blowout concerns and it's well documented as a no go zone for tire repairs for that main reason. If it's a farm use vehicle you may get it to hold air and never blow out.

My advice is don't risk your life or anyone else's life to save money on a tire.

Last edited:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@sgtmajor138

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/tire-repairable-or-not.73177/