Tire recommendation for JLU Sport S with stock wheels

Optvader

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Looking for some recommendations on tire sizes for a JLU Sport S with a 2.5 inch MOPAR lift kit. I currently have 275/70/R18 KO2’s installed with the factory wheels but now that I have the lift installed I’m kinda thinking a need a little bigger tire. I am a new Jeep owner and have looked all through the forums but I thought I would just post and see what people’s thoughts are.
Jeep Wrangler JL Tire recommendation for JLU Sport S with stock wheels 7D27504B-5A2F-4186-A2B6-228D941D4BD4
Sponsored

dajaga

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sport
I got Falken at3w 275\70r18 with the 2.5 RC spacer lift, I love the look with a little more gap. Think it looks great

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Black rhino Barstow 17x9.5 -18 offset. Toyo open country AT2 35x12.5. I have the rough country 2.5” spacer lift.

D317B94E-4107-4761-8594-10D795E54EC1.jpeg

Myron

First Name
Myron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler, 1964 Land Rover SIIA 88
Another vote for keeping the 275/70's. It's easy to buy tires on how they look or how they make us feel, but the truth is there is a safety consideration to be made when you add larger tires. Unsprung rotational mass is a big deal and affects stopping distance and brake life.

I recently found a cool java script calculator that takes tire dimensions and weight, calculates rotational inertia, and converts it to an equivalent mass. Since I am considering a tire purchase myself, here are two examples I found rather enlightening:

BFG AT KO2 in 265/70 C load rating: 44 lb, but equivalent mass of 82 lbs.

BFG AT KO2 in 285/70 E load rating: 61 lb, but equivalent mass of 114 lbs.

Sponsored

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Another vote for keeping the 275/70's. It's easy to buy tires on how they look or how they make us feel, but the truth is there is a safety consideration to be made when you add larger tires. Unsprung rotational mass is a big deal and affects stopping distance and brake life.

I recently found a cool java script calculator that takes tire dimensions and weight, calculates rotational inertia, and converts it to an equivalent mass. Since I am considering a tire purchase myself, here are two examples I found rather enlightening:

BFG AT KO2 in 265/70 C load rating: 44 lb, but equivalent mass of 82 lbs.

BFG AT KO2 in 285/70 E load rating: 61 lb, but equivalent mass of 114 lbs.
Yes you are correct in that it affects stopping distance. I do give myself a little more time to stop but that is normal for me. I don’t see it being a big deal as most jeeps go to 35’s from the stock tires if they do any kind of sustained off-roading. Also if the brakes weren’t able to handle 35’s I don’t think FCA would be advertising that they could handle 35’s with no modifications on the rubicon at least.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Yes you are correct in that it affects stopping distance. I do give myself a little more time to stop but that is normal for me. I don’t see it being a big deal as most jeeps go to 35’s from the stock tires if they do any kind of sustained off-roading. Also if the brakes weren’t able to handle 35’s I don’t think FCA would be advertising that they could handle 35’s with no modifications on the rubicon at least.
It can handle it. but it isnt a smart thing to do unless you will really use/need the bigger tires. I wouldnt run 35s on a sport without also upgrading my brakes. 33s is plenty big for most folks. The Wrangler is a very light truck.

Myron

First Name
Myron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler, 1964 Land Rover SIIA 88
^^^ This. I think 99.99% stop their tire purchase analysis at "will it fit?" There's so much more to it.

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
It can handle it. but it isnt a smart thing to do unless you will really use/need the bigger tires. I wouldnt run 35s on a sport without also upgrading my brakes. 33s is plenty big for most folks. The Wrangler is a very light truck.
I’ve been fine on my original brakes. I’m at 18k miles on my 19 sport s. I do wheel mine regularly though. If it was just a daily driver only I’d tend to agree with 33’s being plenty.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I’ve been fine on my original brakes. I’m at 18k miles on my 19 sport s. I do wheel mine regularly though. If it was just a daily driver only I’d tend to agree with 33’s being plenty.
Peeps have been wheeling with 32s and 33s for a very long time. Of course 35s will simplify things off roading and if you use them quite a bit thats great. I know the brakes would still work, but you reduce a lot of stopping power. I was just saying, if I was ever going to go 35s, I would personally upgrade to the rubi brakes.

Hows the spacer lift working out for you?

Sponsored

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Peeps have been wheeling with 32s and 33s for a very long time. Of course 35s will simplify things off roading and if you use them quite a bit thats great. I know the brakes would still work, but you reduce a lot of stopping power. I was just saying, if I was ever going to go 35s, I would personally upgrade to the rubi brakes.
No worries man. Just a good conversation. I like seeing everyone’s point of view. Helps people make informed decisions. That’s what this forum is all about. Stay safe out there.

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S

Hows the spacer lift working out for you?
Sorry missed the spacer lift question. I haven’t had any issues yet. I also still manually disconnect. I don’t do anything above a mild blue trail. It is still my daily as well so I don’t need to break it. Lol.
Sponsored