Tire pressure

Van Halen

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon
Stock 2021 Rubicon - 25psi is that a proper air down tire pressure for most trails such as Blackbear, Imogene, Ophir, or the Alpine loop
Sponsored

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 money pits: Turbo Busa, Road King, 22JLUR snazz
Occupation
Powerplant operator
If I air down it’s down to 18 lbs minimum If I’m going thru the trouble of airing down.

2 door, 4 door, armor or not, tire size, sand, rocks, mud etc. It all can change that number but 18 is an easy go to. Staying the upper teens and you will be ok as long as not taking sharp turns at 50mph.

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Stock 2021 Rubicon - 25psi is that a proper air down tire pressure for most trails such as Blackbear, Imogene, Ophir, or the Alpine loop
Depends on if you have something to air up after. If so, I would say 17ish. If you have to drive on pavement a long distance to find air I would keep it above 20.

Sponsored

sunset

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 Camaro Berlinetta, 2024 Wrangler Rubicon 392
Depends on if you have something to air up after. If so, I would say 17ish. If you have to drive on pavement a long distance to find air I would keep it above 20.
Wow, good practical advice. I haven't read of anybody saying that before. Thanks.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Wow, good practical advice. I haven't read of anybody saying that before. Thanks.
You really shouldn't air down unless you have a compressor, which IMHO should be your first purchase.

sunset

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 Camaro Berlinetta, 2024 Wrangler Rubicon 392
You really shouldn't air down unless you have a compressor, which IMHO should be your first purchase.
More good advice, and Amazon told me my air compressor is on the way. My 392 is on the way, too.

Last edited:

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I run 18-20 for most trails and never had any problems crawling the rocks. If I'm putting down many miles on washboard roads I will go 15 for comfort.

Sponsored

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Another thing to consider (especially at stock ride height) is that the less air in the tires, the less the ground clearance. Depending on the trail conditions you have to balance whether you want more clearance or more traction and comfort on the bumps.

Sand Flea

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited, Sahara
Occupation
Federal Firefighter, Retired
~18 to 19 while running on the beach.

IMG_0466.jpeg
IMG_1542.jpeg

JLeco2022

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 3.0 V6 Eco Diesel
12-15 psi for non-beadlocks, with locks as low as she lets me go, depends on what im trying to go up and I always air up before i hit pavement

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
25psi isn't even aired down, despite what tfl might tell you. That's the cold pressure I set our tires to fit the street. They'll warm up to about 28-29psi on the street. The trails you mention I'd go down to 15psi. When we were in telluride we didn't air back up between trails. You can drive for short stints on the road at 15psi no problem. In moab I usually do the same. I'm not airing up and down 20 times over a week, no need. Mud, sand, snow I'll go down to 10psi without beadlocks. Airing back up for the road is necessary when you go that low. Telluride area trails aren't challenging so you don't need to go any lower for traction. Moab slickrock offers so much traction you don't need to go real low unless it's wet out.
Sponsored