Sponsored

Tire Pressure - rely on TPMS or old fashion manual air pressure gauge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan S

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Sahara
Occupation
Elevator Mechanic Apprentice
But this is proving my point....

There are exactly zero people saying the tire pressure doesn't increase as the tires warm. The tires should be set cold because manufacturers are aware of the fact that the pressure increases while in use. They really do mean the words they say, set to recommended pressure while cold. Then, almost as if by magic, the tires will increase to the intended pressure while in use. Setting cold allows for a true baseline instead of needing a thermometer inside each tire to calculate the differential which needs to be applied for that temperature while inflating.

This is really simple. Every. Single. Tire. Manufacturer. Says. To. Set. Pressure. Cold.

Cold is defined by the tire manufacturers AND the vehicle owner's manual with every vehicle on the market.

Northeastbst

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Amaral
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
There are exactly zero people saying the tire pressure doesn't increase as the tires warm. The tires should be set cold because manufacturers are aware of the fact that the pressure increases while in use. They really do mean the words they say, set to recommended pressure while cold. Then, almost as if by magic, the tires will increase to the intended pressure while in use. Setting cold allows for a true baseline instead of needing a thermometer inside each tire to calculate the differential which needs to be applied for that temperature while inflating.

This is really simple. Every. Single. Tire. Manufacturer. Says. To. Set. Pressure. Cold.

Cold is defined by the tire manufacturers AND the vehicle owner's manual with every vehicle on the market.
"The tires should be set cold because manufacturersare aware of the fact that the pressure increases while in use."

Check cold to avoid underinflation

This is my point @Dan S

So why would one set there target psi while the tire is cold...if they know the pressure will increase once warm above what they set it at cold????

Dan S

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Sahara
Occupation
"The tires should be set cold because manufacturersare aware of the fact that the pressure increases while in use."

This is my point @Dan S

So why would one set there target psi while the tire is cold...if they know the pressure will increase once warm above what they set it at cold????
Because they know the pressure will increase. If the door says 36psi, they intend for it to run at the slightly higher level as it warms. This isn't difficult... Again, unless you have a way to determine the differential, you have no way to actually determine the correct pressure except trial and error. Hence, tire and auto manufacturers came up with a simple, repeatable method for setting tire pressure. Set cold to recommended pressure, tire then runs as intended.

Sponsored

Northeastbst

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Amaral
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
Because they know the pressure will increase. If the door says 36psi, they intend for it to run at the slightly higher level as it warms. This isn't difficult... Again, unless you have a way to determine the differential, you have no way to actually determine the correct pressure except trial and error. Hence, tire and auto manufacturers came up with a simple, repeatable method for setting tire pressure. Set cold to recommended pressure, tire then runs as intended.
Let's make this simple

If I want a target psi of 35 while driving

What psi do you say I should set my tires at cold??

Keeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Sport Granite
Let's make this simple

If I want a target psi of 35 while driving

What psi do you say I should set my tires at cold??
If you want your tire pressure to be 35 while driving then you should set your tire pressure after the tires have reach that operating temperature. That's not spec, that's your preference.

Northeastbst

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Amaral
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
If you want your tire pressure to be 35 while driving then you should set your tire pressure after the tires have reach that operating temperature. That's not spec, that's your preference.
THAT IS WHAT IVE BEEN SAYING THIS WHOLE TIME

I suggest you read the thread from the very beginning

Its everyone else who's saying "set it at cold"

They misunderstanding the "manufacturers" instruction

Dan S

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Sahara
Occupation

They misunderstanding the "manufacturers" instruction

You obviously missed his last sentence... And you are choosing to misinterpret the manufacturers' instructions. They couldn't be more clear.

Sponsored

Keeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Sport Granite

They dont get it
I've been following along from the beginning. Everyone else is saying that vehicle tire pressures are spec'd (and set) cold. Your point (I think) is that the most consistent way to set the tire pressure you want is to do it under the conditions that you use the vehicle. You'll find more people that align with you at the race track.

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Wow this has gotten deep lol I am gonna throw this out:CWL: :devil: :punch: my catch can averages my tire pressure so it's the same hot or cold :asshat: I use a a tire gage and still playing with pressure to get best ride currently at 29 psi COLD and warm by cluster around 31-33

Northeastbst

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Amaral
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
You obviously missed his last sentence... And you are choosing to misinterpret the manufacturers' instructions. They couldn't be more clear.
I'm not talking about mfgs instructions, what does that have to do with target psi???

I'm talking about target psi and how to set that

It's you who obviously cant read

Did you even read the thread from the beginning?

Northeastbst

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Amaral
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
Wow this has gotten deep lol I am gonna throw this out:CWL: :devil: :punch: my catch can averages my tire pressure so it's the same hot or cold :asshat: I use a a tire gage and still playing with pressure to get best ride currently at 29 psi COLD and warm by cluster around 31-33
Wow this guy gets it thank you
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.