Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 LX570, 2015 GT3
So, where did you read 35 psi ??

I've been running my RUBY on 30 psi for 8 months--

JIMBO
I have seen it mentioned a few times here. That is why i tried to confirm it.
Sponsored

COSJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 WK2, 2019 JLR?
I have my stock Rubicon KO2's at about 36-37 and I think the recommended 37 psi seems not ideal. Just looking at the contact patch I can see the outer edge of the tires are not making contact. Also, it seems weird that 4 doors and 2 doors have the same recommended psi. Does anyone know what is the threshold for tpms warning?

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
The "CHALK TEST" is a waste of time and NON-ENGINEERED TRIVIA-

Since 2006, the JK/JL 2dr/4drs have gotten the best ride/wear between 28 psi and 32 psi--a waste of time screwing withit--just leave them at 30 psi !

I don't worry about the TPMS SYSTEM--I run without wheel xmitters-

W.E.

JIMBO
So where’s your engineering that says that for 13 model years this is the optimal tire pressure? Is this true for all Jeeps with tire sizes from 31” to 40”+? Also, how do you objectively measure “ride”?

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
So 35 PSI is the desired pressure for a Rubicon with 33" tires?
The system says 37. When you’ve got a tire low enough to trigger a low pressure warning you get the message to inflate to 37 psi.

There’s no hard and fast tire pressure that works for all vehicles, drivers, and tires across the board. It is dependent on load, tire, driving surface, temperatures, and driver preference.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
The "CHALK TEST" is a waste of time and NON-ENGINEERED TRIVIA-

Since 2006, the JK/JL 2dr/4drs have gotten the best ride/wear between 28 psi and 32 psi--a waste of time screwing withit--just leave them at 30 psi !

I don't worry about the TPMS SYSTEM--I run without wheel xmitters-

W.E.

JIMBO
:CWL:

Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
So I got my 35” D rated tires mounted and balanced and when I put them on discovered they were all inflated to mid-40’s. I brought them down to 33. They are still harsher than I’d like compared to the comfy C rated 33’s. Do you think lowering the pressure more would help?

Also for those that don’t have a programmer, do you just ignore the TPMS warning?
Yes...try 28 and then 25 psi.

Jeeper Fever

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2-Door Manual JLR
I have my stock Rubicon KO2's at about 36-37 and I think the recommended 37 psi seems not ideal. Just looking at the contact patch I can see the outer edge of the tires are not making contact. Also, it seems weird that 4 doors and 2 doors have the same recommended psi. Does anyone know what is the threshold for tpms warning?
I aired down to 27/28 ish and got the TPMS warning at that level, but not at 32 psi. Get a tuner, which is what I plan to do.

Jeep drives better like this, thou I have yet to do freeway testing.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
My 13 years of ENGINEERING KNOWLEDGE is based on 13 years of 2dr/4dr modified jeeps, using 32" to 38" tires ALL RANGE "D"/"E"--

There is NO OPTIMUM air pressure, but 28 to 32 PSI has been the PREDOMINANTE ride/wear pressures--that has been with tires that are A/T--MT/MS treads

If that's not good enough for you CHOCOLATE THUNDER----THAT'S T.S. !

W.E.

JIMBO

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
My 13 years of ENGINEERING KNOWLEDGE is based on 13 years of 2dr/4dr modified jeeps, using 32" to 38" tires ALL RANGE "D"/"E"--

There is NO OPTIMUM air pressure, but 28 to 32 PSI has been the PREDOMINANTE ride/wear pressures--that has been with tires that are A/T--MT/MS treads

W.E.

JIMBO
Got it. Your facts are based on your personal experience with the stuff you’ve used on your Jeeps. Thanks for sharing it.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RETIRED
Thankyou CT and I've also been going OFF-ROAD since 1954(first jeep)-but -

I've been reading/belonging to FORUMS for 21 years, and based on THAT-

I've found this WORTHLESS CHALK TEST is great to find out how long your tires would last in a SAFEWAY parking lot-

As soon as you drive 15 miles, your tire pressure changes DRASTICALLY ANYWAY--

In SUMMARY-- over all those years for ALL JEEP'S-BRONCO'S/RAMCHARGER'S/RANGER'S/TOYOTA'S---

28/32 psi is the HOLY GRAIL !

Have a great day-

JIMBO

Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RETIRED
Heh Heh, remember, IF you don't have a programmer, or removed your wheel xmitters(like me),then your TPMS SYSTEM is probably going to object-

Otherwise, you'll probably enjoy the ride/handling--

Good luck
Okay i am going to air down to 32psi and see what happens.
JIMBO

jruss

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport Unlimited

W.E.

JIMBO
This is pretty much spot on. There are exceptions but few and far between. My opinion is based on 20 years of driving jeeps. Also, in the last 6 years I worked on, repaired, modified, drive and restored a few hundred jeeps ranging from Willy’s to jl.
Also, to add, some wheel and tire combos will only ever ride poorly. Additionally, a poor suspension choice can only be fixed with a good one.
Hopefully this helps.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Went down to 30 on my E load rated Patagonias, seems to be just about right for comfort & driveability. Any lower and I think I'd sacrifice street performance, and higher it's firmed up too much, and less forgiving in colder temps.

mrhumble1

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, 2-Door, Manual
The tires on my new JLR are all around 42-43psi. You are all saying that's way too high so why is it so common for the factory/dealership to over-inflate them? The ride seems fine, but I can tell it's way too bouncy. That being said, this is my first Jeep so I don't have anything to compare it to.

I just bought a pressure gauge and will be airing down to about 38 to see how that feels.
Sponsored