Tire pressure makes huge difference in ride quality

VGxHC

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLU
When the off-road shop installed the new wheels and tires, they informed me the tires were aired to 40 psi. I knew this seemed a little high but a day or so later they were down to about 37 each. For 3 weeks of feeling every pebble and paint line on the road, I finally decreased the tire pressures to 32. I am amazed by how much difference in ride the 5 psi makes.
Sponsored

ECHO

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL Rubicon - Black
Occupation
Retired Air Force - Currently in my Dream Job
Ohh yeah it’s a huge difference, normally chalk test my tire and have found 28 -30 is a good psi for MUd Tires

SpringsJL

First Name
Cage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU
I can’t leave the dealership without them airing my 35s to 38psi it rides like it has no suspension. Have to air them down every time.

alrola

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
I have a JLUR with 2” lift and 35 “ KO2 and have found that the chalk test is good at 30-32 psi. More importantly I found that when they warm up to above 34 I can tell just by the ride without looking at TPMS
So, in Florida in winter I had it at 32 which stayed at 32-33. Now getting warmer and days at 85 I aired down to 31 which will come up to the warm seeet spot if 33.
Hope that makes sense.
My PREVIOUS dealer (I have an awesome one now in TAMPA) was airing it to 44psi and both mechanic and foreman supposedly were jeep people.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
When the off-road shop installed the new wheels and tires, they informed me the tires were aired to 40 psi. I knew this seemed a little high but a day or so later they were down to about 37 each. For 3 weeks of feeling every pebble and paint line on the road, I finally decreased the tire pressures to 32. I am amazed by how much difference in ride the 5 psi makes.
Interesting topic...especially considering our jl's are lightweight vehicles compared to most other trucks and suv's. 315/70/17 ko2 load range c on a 8.5" wide wheel chalk tested well at 30psi. Most load range d chalk test well around 23-25 psi and load range e even lower. Our jeeps only weigh 4500 lbs unloaded and jeep engineers chose a load tange c for the rubi. Ford raptor weighs 6600 lbs unloaded and was also designed with ko2's load range c. Point being...load range c is more than adequate for the jl's weight. If you want to have good sidewall flex and a smoother ride, load range d and e is overkill for most jeeps unless you're towing heavy loads. I wish there were more load range c 35 and 37" tire options targeted for the jl.

Sponsored

drdriller

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
Interesting topic...especially considering our jl's are lightweight vehicles compared to most other trucks and suv's. 315/70/17 ko2 load range c on a 8.5" wide wheel chalk tested well at 30psi. Most load range d chalk test well around 23-25 psi and load range e even lower. Our jeeps only weigh 4500 lbs unloaded and jeep engineers chose a load tange c for the rubi. Ford raptor weighs 6600 lbs unloaded and was also designed with ko2's load range c. Point being...load range c is more than adequate for the jl's weight. If you want to have good sidewall flex and a smoother ride, load range d and e is overkill for most jeeps unless you're towing heavy loads. I wish there were more load range c 35 and 37" tire options targeted for the jl.
Right on!

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I pushed my fuses in and my ride was smoother.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
It seems like a topic that is commonly overlooked. I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of jl owners running 35s and 37s load range d and e are running too much air on road resulting in uneven tire wear and a stiffer ride.
So I got my 35” D rated tires mounted and balanced and when I put them on discovered they were all inflated to mid-40’s. I brought them down to 33. They are still harsher than I’d like compared to the comfy C rated 33’s. Do you think lowering the pressure more would help?

Also for those that don’t have a programmer, do you just ignore the TPMS warning?

Sponsored

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
I have a JLUR with 2” lift and 35 “ KO2 and have found that the chalk test is good at 30-32 psi. More importantly I found that when they warm up to above 34 I can tell just by the ride without looking at TPMS
So, in Florida in winter I had it at 32 which stayed at 32-33. Now getting warmer and days at 85 I aired down to 31 which will come up to the warm seeet spot if 33.
Hope that makes sense.
My PREVIOUS dealer (I have an awesome one now in TAMPA) was airing it to 44psi and both mechanic and foreman supposedly were jeep people.
But did your previous dealer move your seat around? ;)

I'm kidding... it's a little forum humor. I had my dealer replace my wheels about a month ago & instructed them to keep the pressure at 35. What did they do? A ridiculous 42 psi.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
The "CHALK TEST" is a waste of time and NON-ENGINEERED TRIVIA-

Since 2006, the JK/JL 2dr/4drs have gotten the best ride/wear between 28 psi and 32 psi--a waste of time screwing withit--just leave them at 30 psi !

I don't worry about the TPMS SYSTEM--I run without wheel xmitters-

W.E.

JIMBO

Robmypro

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 LX570, 2015 GT3
So 35 PSI is the desired pressure for a Rubicon with 33" tires?

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
I have 295/70/17 KM3 tires. I had them at 35/36 and they felt pretty good but after installing a lift (RC 2.5 full) I noticed my ride was much more harsh. Started airing down a bit and trying new levels. At 31 right now and they feel so much better. I might go down a couple more but it feels pretty close to stock suspension now. Amazing how much difference it can make, especially on stiffer sidewalls and/or heavier tires.
Sponsored