Tire load rating - E rated tires?

Trailhawk

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
I’m considering buying new tires and I’m thinking a load rate C would be best for my 2019 JL Unlimited 4 door Sport. I’m thinking airing down an D or E rated tire might not be as effective with a light weight Wrangler. Also, the C 6 ply tires are a lot lighter weight compared to an E rated 10 ply tires. Load rated C’s are very limited in what’s available in the tire sizes unfortunately, where almost all sizes come in the E rating. So if I can hear some good feedback that the E rated tires air down well and perform with the wranglers
Sponsored

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
E will feel a little better when aired down. But it’s never going to be like a load C. It will ride pretty rough when compared to a C load. The weight will make a difference when you’re talking about mpg and a little on the power too.
At the end of the day, it’s not a huge difference but will be noticeable. Get what you want. You’ll get used to it after a while.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Trailhawk

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
E will feel a little better when aired down. But it’s never going to be like a load C. It will ride pretty rough when compared to a C load. The weight will make a difference when you’re talking about mpg and a little on the power too.
But at the end of the day, it’s not a huge difference but will be noticeable. Get what you want. You’ll get used to it after a while.
What tires are you running?

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I running E rated 35’s on my 19 sport JLU. Toyo open country at2. Honestly not enough of a difference from stock ride wise on the freeway or around town. Wheeling it is much better. I air down to about 15lbs and traction and ride is great when wheeling. Still averaging 18-19mpg highway and 16-17 city.

83CDC19C-DC13-4BDE-A908-CCFC7BEAE0A1.jpeg

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I run E-rated Patagonias (295/70s). Don't have a problem w/ the ride and they air down ok but Ideally I'd opt for a C-rated if the tire I wanted was available in a C. The tires I've got on my short list are mainly D or E rated though, so I'll probably end up w/ a D, and I'm fine with that :)

I've also had a couple nail hits that have been fine w/ my E's but would have probably ended up w/ flats running a C.

Sponsored

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
What tires are you running?
Almost every most popular tires over the years and several load ratings.
At the moment i have the Cooper STT Pro in E load.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
D rated 37x12.5 STT Pro's here. They air down nice, not many options for C rated tires in that size. I wouldn't do an E rated tire on a Jeep.

Sydwaiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 73 CJ-5
A lot of the ride depends on the compound of the tire IMO. I was running E rated Nittos on my truck then switched to an E rated Cooper. Night and day difference in the ride quality. Coopers have a much softer compound compared to the NIttos I had. I just installed D rated Dick Cepeks on my JL. Not enough time on them yet to form an opinion though.

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
My e rated 35x12.50 ridge grapplers are absolutely awful. Feel every bump in the road. Thought it was the mopar lift. I’m going to change them out for 37s in D rated. I wish there was a c rated 37... I’ll never buy an e again. Love the ridge grapplers but my god is it rough

Sponsored

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
I'm running the 315 KO2s with a C rating. Air down to 12-15# in the rocks and sand. Don't see a really good reason to go with E rated unless you can't find a C tire you like.

UTES

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Diesel Sahara, 2018 AMG GT, 2019 MB GLC
Occupation
Retired LEO
Yeah, after years of running rough Es I went with 35" Cs this time. It's the most comfortable riding Jeep I've owned.

Go with the heavy duty E if you need it - just be sure the rough ride is worth it.

Hunter

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I’m considering buying new tires and I’m thinking a load rate C would be best for my 2019 JL Unlimited 4 door Sport. I’m thinking airing down an D or E rated tire might not be as effective with a light weight Wrangler. Also, the C 6 ply tires are a lot lighter weight compared to an E rated 10 ply tires. Load rated C’s are very limited in what’s available in the tire sizes unfortunately, where almost all sizes come in the E rating. So if I can hear some good feedback that the E rated tires air down well and perform with the wranglers
FYI, your JL Unlimited is no "light weight ". Think 5500-6000 lbs.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Nah, not even the 4xe weighs that much. A gasser JLU weighs in about 4,200-4,500 pounds. Unless he's added 1,000 pounds of stuff to it anyway :)
True...empty. It has a 1100 useful load, which includes fuel, passengers, gear. However, many owners that have modified them, typically go over that significantly, with winch, large tires, heavy bumper, skid plates, rock sliders, tire carriers, axle truss, heavy diff covers, fuel cans, water, tools, recovery gear, and every little addition you can think of. Not to mention camping gear.
Sponsored