Tire jack mounted on hood?!

NOIDEAWIAM

First Name
NICK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22JLU 392 XR, 21 Charger Hellcat Redeye
Oh man. The Hi Lift jack is a recovery tool for me, it's not a tire jack. You have to go up waaaaaaay too high. I always hated bumper jacks but with some exceptions, most of them had lips or slots on the hard chrome bumper to fit them properly.

I got my hi lift in like 83 when I had a 79 bronco. I have used it on every vehicle I've taken offroad for almost 40 years. It doesn't ride around outside the vehicle, but it has spent time in the back of a pickup. I've used it on my jeep and others, I use it in those situations where I would need to use a winch too. There are times when it's the last little bit to get you out. Jack up the tires so you can stuff rocks, sticks, and dirt back into the holes.

I carry it inside when wheeling. I'm going to mount it on my roof rack in a couple months. But I'm not going to color match it or detail it with flames.

Incidentally, it's the same jack.

-Dean

I never used mine to change the tire on the jeep. Just pop the bead on a tire so I can put new tires on the jeep. I used the weight of the jeep and the base of the jack on the tire to break the bead. I've only done this with beadlocks. Not DOT wheels.
Sponsored

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I may have read it too quickly. I took a picture of my jeep flexing on a curb at the mall and posted it once. lol, there were some that didnt understand it.

Here in WA I see a TON of jacks always mounted to jeeps all the time. Then they wont work if ever needed. The rain just destroys them....im sure the sun will as well in other parts of the country.
On a wheeling trip a couple of months ago a guy broke a rear axle shaft and used his hood-mounted Hi-lift to rig up a tree branch as a skid to drag the Jeep out. It was comical to watch him with a hammer and WD-40 getting the mechanism to work, every stroke of the handle required a tap from the hammer to get it to reset for the next motion.

beast40

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
In 22 years of Jeeping, I've used mine twice and both times a floor/scissor jack wouldn't have worked due to the terrain. With that said there is little reason to carry it around 24/7 and you are better off not exposing it to the elements.

I keep mine in the garage and strap it in the rear cargo area when going off-road.

545moose

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX460
While we're on that topic, no pun intended, what's the real world - safe working usability of the OEM bumper hooks?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Dyslexican

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
voacc.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Charity Director
Whenever I see a Hi-Lift Jack mounted on the hood of a Jeep I always wonder, “will it stay secured in a collision or a rollover?” I can’t help it -- too many years working in Safety. I even added a safety strap to my role bar-mounted fire extinguisher when I “imagined" it going airborne in a collision.
Hello Chris, your wonder years can be laid to rest , through a series of unfortunate events I came to the conclusion that when properly installed a Hi-Lift Jack will remain securely fixed on the hood of a Jeep despite the severity of the accident.

Jeep Wrangler JL Tire jack mounted on hood?! IMG_6477

Jeep Wrangler JL Tire jack mounted on hood?! IMG_5891

Happy New Year!

Last edited:

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Mine is in the garage where its been forever. Sell it in a heartbeat. 🤪

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
While we're on that toppic, no pun intended, what's the real world - safe working usability of the OEM bumper hooks?
They're directly attached to the frame horns. You'd be hard pressed to make them move or bend. I'm done some hard recoveries with them as the recieving side with zero issues.

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
Man I used to hate on the dudes who had their jacks mounted on the hood. Now I have mine on the hood. I didnt want it mounted to the rollbar. So that was the only other choice I liked. Will I ever use it? Probably not. Do I give a fuck people think I am a poser? Nope. 😎
Sponsored