Sponsored

Tire jack mounted on hood?!

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I agree they can be used for self-recovery, but I don't know anyone that actually carries the rest of the required equipment to do so. They can winch a very short distance before needing to be reset (meaning the chain/cable slack taken up). I say chain because most people carry recovery straps that have some stretch, which again makes the Hi-Lift almost worthless in a self-recovery situation. They can be used for self-recovery, but only if you run cable or chain, or a recovery strap that has little or no stretch...and all of those in lengths that will allow you to reach a recovery point (tree/rock). They also have a max (meaning it's even lower at the upper portion of the jack) rated load/winching load capacity of 4660/5,000 lbs. (respectively), which is too low to be used safely with most of our Jeeps.
Well now you do.

I carry chain, hi-lift winching chains, steel cable, tow strap, snatch strap, tree saver, d-rings, soft shackles, pulleys, and a resistance cheat sheet. All this on top of a Warn winch because sometimes you need to winch in two directions simultaneously. I also take off-road recovery classes where we put an old Jeep in all sorts of nasty situations and figure out how to self-recover it.

All because I wander all over Winder Towing / Matt's Off-Road Recovery's territory, I have yet to meet the guy and I'm very intent on never needing his services. If I avoid that just once, having all this equipment is worth it.
Sponsored

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
I've seen a Hi-Lift in use exactly once: I was driving down the road and saw someone working on a vehicle in their yard.

Sure enough, as I approached he had to suddenly jerk his head out of the way as it tried to kill him.

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I think anybody that mounts a Hi-lift type jack on the exterior of their vehicle should also have a little mount for a hammer and can of WD-40 so when the time comes they have the tools to make the jack work.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Whenever I see a Hi-Lift Jack mounted on the hood of a Jeep I always wonder, “will it stay secured in a collision or a rollover?” I can’t help it -- too many years working in Safety. I even added a safety strap to my role bar-mounted fire extinguisher when I “imagined" it going airborne in a collision.
That’s exactly what I think about too. I really don’t want a heavy chunk of iron sitting right in front of my face out the windshield.

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
There are other types of Hi-Lift jack mounts available that don't mount to the hood.

I have used a hi-lift jack many times, I know how NOT to abuse it during use, which can make it very dangerous and I find it a useful, versatile tool with the right accessories.

But I didn't want mine on the hood or mounted to the roll bar behind me in the event of a collision. I have a roof rack and considered putting it up there. I could have fabbed something to go on my rear steel bumper. Neither of those solutions were practical for me.

Instead I found a nice mount from Go Rhino that mounts to factory locations on the body near the driver's side A-Pillar. It is secure, you can lock the jack to the mount and through my Westin triple tube rock sliders/steps. It does not obstruct my vision and it doesn't rattle.

Sponsored

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
Mine got used once on the trail in the early 2000s. Just to lift the back end because the diff was hung. Lift, and push the Jeep knowing the jack is going to fall. Be on the opposite side of the Jeep if you do that.

Great for fence posts.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
A lifted JK parked next to me today. It had a hood mounted Hi-Lift Jack, Angry Eyes, Flood Light Bar on the roof, a winch, 20 in rims, and stickers saying "recon ...." . The jack didnt have a scratch on it, and looked like it had been mounted there for many years, by the way the aint was faded.
i dont get it, if you need a Hi-Lift, for off roading, keep it in the garage, until you are ready. Its big, heavy, and not very aerodynamic.

Bubba

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 rubicon
easiest jack to use if you have used them. Easiest jack to kill yourself or someone if your not very,very careful

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Clearly we have a bunch of youngster scaredy-cats here that have never used an old school factory bumper jack to change a tire. 😂

Bubba

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 rubicon
very handy tool i have used them on the ice to lift ice shack to lifting tractors, if you find a place to set it up you can lift it

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Full disclosure this could totally be a thing, but today someone was describing their son’s 2 door wrangler and said the tire jack was mounted on the hood, up towards the windshield. Is this a mod, or were some models not equipped to allow the jack to be stored away in the back? Just curious 🤨
It is usually a poser mod.

NOIDEAWIAM

First Name
NICK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22JLU 392 XR, 21 Charger Hellcat Redeye
It is usually a poser mod.
it depends on how you have the weight distributed on the jeep and what you are doing with it. There have been times where I have put my lift on the hood if I was doing a lot of deep mud and puddles. It allows for easier access if you're up to the fenders in deep mud and ruts. For rock crawling and whatnot I have it on the back. Its handy to have one and know how to use it, no matter where it is mounted. There are so many different ways to use a hi-lift. It just takes some "oops" moments and some driveway learning as well. from recovery to maintenance and even changing out tires on a wheel. Theyre worth every penny.

I will also say that I wont run around town with it on my rig. The weather will take its toll and it isn't necessary to leave it on the jeep.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
it depends on how you have the weight distributed on the jeep and what you are doing with it. There have been times where I have put my lift on the hood if I was doing a lot of deep mud and puddles. It allows for easier access if you're up to the fenders in deep mud and ruts. For rock crawling and whatnot I have it on the back. Its handy to have one and know how to use it, no matter where it is mounted. There are so many different ways to use a hi-lift. It just takes some "oops" moments and some driveway learning as well. from recovery to maintenance and even changing out tires on a wheel. Theyre worth every penny.

I will also say that I wont run around town with it on my rig. The weather will take its toll and it isn't necessary to leave it on the jeep.
I meant carrying the thing around on the hood.

The first person who did it was probably driving to a trail. A mall crawler saw it and thought it was cool.

Thats why I said "usually a poser mod".

The person in the story said their son carries it around like that. So they have it on the hood all the time. Unless they offroad everyday, the subject is probably a poser.

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392
Oh man. The Hi Lift jack is a recovery tool for me, it's not a tire jack. You have to go up waaaaaaay too high. I always hated bumper jacks but with some exceptions, most of them had lips or slots on the hard chrome bumper to fit them properly.

I got my hi lift in like 83 when I had a 79 bronco. I have used it on every vehicle I've taken offroad for almost 40 years. It doesn't ride around outside the vehicle, but it has spent time in the back of a pickup. I've used it on my jeep and others, I use it in those situations where I would need to use a winch too. There are times when it's the last little bit to get you out. Jack up the tires so you can stuff rocks, sticks, and dirt back into the holes.

I carry it inside when wheeling. I'm going to mount it on my roof rack in a couple months. But I'm not going to color match it or detail it with flames.

Incidentally, it's the same jack.

-Dean

NOIDEAWIAM

First Name
NICK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22JLU 392 XR, 21 Charger Hellcat Redeye
I meant carrying the thing around on the hood.

The first person who did it was probably driving to a trail. A mall crawler saw it and thought it was cool.

Thats why I said "usually a poser mod".

The person in the story said their son carries it around like that. So they have it on the hood all the time. Unless they offroad everyday, the subject is probably a poser.
I may have read it too quickly. I took a picture of my jeep flexing on a curb at the mall and posted it once. lol, there were some that didnt understand it.

Here in WA I see a TON of jacks always mounted to jeeps all the time. Then they wont work if ever needed. The rain just destroys them....im sure the sun will as well in other parts of the country.
Sponsored