First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Sting Gray
Occupation
Amateur Cynic/Professional Skeptic
Hi all... overwhelmed by the options of tire deflators. I like the Staun 4-pack (6-30 PSI), but the $99.98 price tag is a bit off-putting since I can find literally dozens of other versions - that look absolutely identical - for as low as $13.

I like the buy once cry once mentality, but for as little as I'll use these, I'm wondering if this is a case where the brand name is nice, but the cheapies are "good enough".

Any words of wisdom to sway me one way or the other?
Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
I got a set of knockoffs like you have the link for but the resulting tire pressures were all over the map and I don't like the idea of screwing them on and just driving off.

I moved on to an ARB tire deflator that removes the valve core. It works great but you have to stay knelt down at each tire for a couple of minutes while the air comes out. I'm old and fat and it made my feet hurt.

I'm also super OCD about my tire pressure being exactly the same. So I made one of those 4 tire air up / air down gadgets and now use it exclusively. Yes it takes a little longer to set up, but the airing up and airing down is fast and makes up for the time taken to connect it or roll it back up and put it back in the bag.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I guess I’m kind of old school. I just use a $3 valve core tool and pressure gushed one at a time. Unscrewing the valve core dumps the air out quicker than I could walk around and install the deflators, then walk back around to remove them when they’re done. Maybe I’m wrong?

Also my 4 tire inflation setup allows me to air down simultaneously and evenly like @BDinTX, but it seems to take longer to put it on and deflate all 4 at once than just removing the valve cores one at a time.

Jeep Wrangler JL Tire Deflators 1656621944874

Last edited:

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
Deflating tires is never as much of a chore for me as some people make it out to be. I have cheap ones from amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X8VY6QD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and the first time I used them, I just timed how long it takes for them to get down to the PSI I want (usually 12-15 w/o beadlocks). Then every time after that i use the stopwatch on my phone. I'm sure elevation differences can make this time change... when that happens, I deal with it and move on. Takes less than 2 minutes to deflate my tires at the trailhead.

beast40

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Deflating tires is never as much of a chore for me as some people make it out to be. I have cheap ones from amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X8VY6QD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and the first time I used them, I just timed how long it takes for them to get down to the PSI I want (usually 12-15 w/o beadlocks). Then every time after that i use the stopwatch on my phone. I'm sure elevation differences can make this time change... when that happens, I deal with it and move on. Takes less than 2 minutes to deflate my tires at the trailhead.

^ This. I actually bought some decent auto deflators but I find them more annoying than good old fashion cheap ones like yours.

Sponsored

Don_TLR

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XR
I have Stains and lost 2 so I got the cheapies and most of them were fine but one spring inside, I changed it out with something from Ace Hardware and all is good now.

BrentMG

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
The JT Brooks deflators I bought are extremely accurate. Easy to use as well. Still about $100 though. Worth it IMO.
These are the ones I use as well. Set them to where you want your pressure and let them do their thing. Appear to be on sale for $75 now.

Cuyose

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Data Analyst

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I use a valve core remover and listen. The sound changes when I’m close and then I’ll take a a couple of readings. When I’m a few psi away, the cores go back in and I sneak up on it.

I have the Stauns. After a couple of painstaking hours calibrating all 4 of them for my wife and kids to use in their Jeep for our two Jeep, 3 week trip, one missed the target completely. It would’ve let ALL the air out. The plunger got stuck I think with a speck of dirt or something I guess. They were brand new. On the trip I set that one and another aside and they worked with 2 that did ok. They would end up around 0-3 psi variance between all 4 tires.

Now, I’m considering trying an air down gauge that unscrews & holds the core since I’m one at a time anyway.

Jhawth

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I got a set of knockoffs like you have the link for but the resulting tire pressures were all over the map and I don't like the idea of screwing them on and just driving off.

I moved on to an ARB tire deflator that removes the valve core. It works great but you have to stay knelt down at each tire for a couple of minutes while the air comes out. I'm old and fat and it made my feet hurt.

I'm also super OCD about my tire pressure being exactly the same. So I made one of those 4 tire air up / air down gadgets and now use it exclusively. Yes it takes a little longer to set up, but the airing up and airing down is fast and makes up for the time taken to connect it or roll it back up and put it back in the bag.
With your diy kit are you removing the valve stems or leaving them in?

Edit for OP: I have the Smitty built tire deflator, got it for around 40 bucks or something. I prefer an analog pressure Guage over digital, I don't like batteries. Works great and has been accurate so far.