Sponsored

Tire cover interfering with backup sensors or camera?

Docjoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler, Lexus, Tiffin, Chaparral
I purchased a rear tire cover for my JL that has backup camera and rear proximity sensors. Those devices all work fine, until I put the tire cover on. The cover (Very well made and good fit) has a hole for the camera, nonetheless when backing up the warning sounds go off when nothing is there. I repositioned the cover twice and the camera lens is clear, but the problem persists. The proximity sensors are in the bumper, does the camera also 'sense' objects/distance? Any insights? Thanks, Joe
Sponsored

Germansheperd

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2019 HD FLHXS, 2018 Taurus, 2008 Mustang GT, 1994 Z28
Just throwing this out there is it a possibility the sensors can be a bit dirty? I donā€™t have the sensors but canā€™t see any other way you could have that issue unless they are dirty or something is obstructing them. Did you take off the backup camera cover and hear the ā€snapā€ around the camera when you installed the cover?

0D54A1D1-83B6-4BAF-9021-6277BC899145.jpeg

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
I agree.... try this..... trouble shooting 101.

take the tire cover off and see if it still does it. I would think that the tire cover would not cause this.

very probable that it is a crazy coincidence that it happened after install of tire cover.

easy check.

good luck.

OP
OP
Docjoe

Docjoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler, Lexus, Tiffin, Chaparral
Thanks for the suggestions. Sensors and camera lens are clean as a whistle. I've take cover off and put back on x3 and only when cover in place on tire does problem exist. I think the fabric of the cover may be too loose and it's interfering with camera lens.
Just throwing this out there is it a possibility the sensors can be a bit dirty? I donā€™t have the sensors but canā€™t see any other way you could have that issue unless they are dirty or something is obstructing them. Did you take off the backup camera cover and hear the ā€snapā€ around the camera when you installed the cover?

0D54A1D1-83B6-4BAF-9021-6277BC899145.jpeg
Thanks. Where did you get your tire cover? You apparently are not having the problem I am with my cover. thanks.

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
I purchased a rear tire cover for my JL that has backup camera and rear proximity sensors. Those devices all work fine, until I put the tire cover on. The cover (Very well made and good fit) has a hole for the camera, nonetheless when backing up the warning sounds go off when nothing is there. I repositioned the cover twice and the camera lens is clear, but the problem persists. The proximity sensors are in the bumper, does the camera also 'sense' objects/distance? Any insights? Thanks, Joe
Dont know how to help you.

obstructing the camera lens will not trigger the sensors.

Question: does the sensor alarm go off at a stand still(just having in R while foot on brake)? Or while backing up?

Sponsored

Germansheperd

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2019 HD FLHXS, 2018 Taurus, 2008 Mustang GT, 1994 Z28
Thanks for the suggestions. Sensors and camera lens are clean as a whistle. I've take cover off and put back on x3 and only when cover in place on tire does problem exist. I think the fabric of the cover may be too loose and it's interfering with camera lens.

Thanks. Where did you get your tire cover? You apparently are not having the problem I am with my cover. thanks.
I bought it at the local dealership. I just asked for a ā€œbasicā€ cover that was 2018-2020 specific and they matched an on line price.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
ā€˜Merica
Correct, sensors beep, not the camera. Something is being picked up by the sensors on the bumper if it beeps.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
If you have the plastic bumper, the sensors are very finicky with anything other than the factory tire. Add a larger tire, or larger lugs etc. they can go off. One thing to test if you have the plastic bumper is to push down on the bumper and see if they stop beeping. I found (as well as a few others) than as little as 1/16" down or up on the tire makes a difference.

JAEK

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Ocean Blue Metallic
Occupation
Retired U.S. Coast Guard and L.E.
I have gone through 2 tire covers on my new 350 miles Rubicon Unlimited. The tire covers interfere with the back up sensors, especially the Boomerang cover, which is quality. I take off the cover and the sensors work as they should.
Spare in solid, hinges are new and solid and no door flex.
Just as an aside, while dancing with the sensor issue, the gremlins attacked my radio, display but no sound. Had to do the old, hit the AM tuner and go back to Sirius and it worked.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Joe @Docjoe

Let me apologize in advance for asking this. It only comes as a means of ruling out other causes--which as a doctor I think you can appreciate from a diagnostic point of view.

You clearly said you bought a JL specific tire cover. You were clear and I can read. Are you certain it has the hole in its center for a JL camera and isn't a JK cover?

That said, my JL tire cover, which works, necessitated that I remove the OEM camera cover cap as the tire cover provided its own cap for the camera.

I wish you well with your rig and solving this. Again, apologies if I've made you look stupid unnecessarily. By no means do you strike me as dumb, but clearly, at one point in time or another, we are all ignorant (lacking facts, not incapable of learning them) which is why forums like these are such a great resource.

Cheers.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Simple fix: throw your tire cover in the trash. Honestly though, the sensors have a pretty wide angle. Adding anything to the tire's circumference could very well throw them off.
Sponsored