Sponsored

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
what about the falken wildpeak a/t 3's? I hear those do pretty well off trail? I am considering those when changing out tires later.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
If anyone rates them, they'll be added.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
As for 3 peak ratings. I'm not sure what you mean. Are talking about the "mountain and snowflake" icon indicating a severe snow rating beyond the M+S rating? If so, I could add it to the tire description, but the "snow" rating should reflect how good it is in those conditions anyway.

PM, and ChattVol your ratings are added.
snow rating is subjective, measured ratings provide real information. Subjective rating scales is why Netflix gave up on ratings and went thumbs up or thumbs down, if everyone's idea of what an 8 means vs a 10 the rating value is meaningless.

in any event here is tire racks wrote up on it, some people may live in areas that require it at times of the year. Its just another good piece of info, like any of it take it or leave it, some people are not aware of it so just tossed it into the mix for people comparing. Not all on this list have the rating, it will be interesting to see how the snow rating correlates in your table.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...liate=AI1&s_kwcid=AL!3756!3!304470776808!b!!g!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Netflix is rating a movie/show. "I like it" or "I didn't like it" is sufficient. If you pick a movie/show that doesn't meet expectations you're not out anything. Netflix is also using their thumb up/down rating system to build a library of your preferences. They use this to recommend movies to you, not necessarily to others. Since their target is you they only need to know what you like to watch, and it doesn't really matter why or how much you like it. A simple yes or no works.
When it comes to tires, you can be out $1K or more. The stakes are a lot higher than watching a boring show, so I want more info than someone simply saying they like it or not. I want to know what they like/don't like about it. This was an issue I had while looking for a lift. Many people would say "this lift is great" but they wouldn't elaborate. On another forum people actually got mad when I asked for more specifics. WHY is it great, what do you like about it? What are it's strengths and weaknesses? They seemed offended that I would question why they liked it. Since I couldn't get much help, I spent a ton of time making my own list of lifts with pros/cons before making a decision (plus I basically abandoned that forum and came here).
A similar dilemma exists with tires. Not everyone values the same things, so opinions will vary about what makes a tire good or not. Subsequently the ratings will also vary in each category for each user. That doesn't worry me though, because that's basically the goal. I want to see what the average opinion is from the people who are using them (or have used them) in the real world. If a scaled rating is accurate enough for Amazon (scale of 1-5 stars) it's certainly good enough for me. Obviously this chart shouldn't be the only resource someone should use to pick a tire, but I think the subjectivity of it is what makes it useful.
A subjective list may not be for everyone. That's fine, but for those who are interested, it's here for them. As you mentioned, not everyone will have the same opinion on what an 8 is. However an 8 rating shows that the person thinks the tire is pretty good, but it could be better (it's not a 10). Likewise not everyone will have the same opinion on each rating for each tire. Someone may rate a tire at 10 in a category where another user my think it doesn't deserve such a high mark (the "noise" rating you previously disputed on the Nitto for example). That's fine. If both people (or hopefully more) rate the tire, we end up with a representation of what the average user thinks of that tire. There will be extremes in everything, and that's why averages work best with larger sample sizes. That's also why I added the column for the number of reviews. That way we know how many people contributed to it's average rating.

MikeLewisMusic

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon 2 Door, 2.0l Turbo/Automatic
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Firestone Destination M/T2
Noise = 9
Ride = 8
Dry = 8
Wet = 7
Snow = 8
Trail = 9
Look = 9
Overall = 8

Comment: There is no Price rating so I considered that in my overall opinion.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Thanks for the ratings, and additional comment. I actually considered making a price/value category when I made the chart, but decided not to since tire prices can vary greatly. Someone may have gotten them on sale, cost of living may be higher in an area, and also because the tire size can greatly influence the price. I was concerned that by adding a price category I'd also have to add a size category, which opens up a whole other can of worms. In the interest of keeping it simple I left the price out, but considering it for your overall opinion of the tire is a great idea. I wanted the "overall" rating to capture what you think of the tire in general, and how much you paid for them certainly fits into that. Great decision.
Thanks again for contributing.

PS, I'm glad to see a user rating on the Firestone. I've been anxiously waiting to see how they rate compared to distributor ratings. I think they're great looking tires, and they seem competitively priced. It looks like your ratings were very similar to the distributor ratings which is encouraging, when considering them as an option.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
Netflix is rating a movie/show. "I like it" or "I didn't like it" is sufficient. If you pick a movie/show that doesn't meet expectations you're not out anything.
A subjective list may not be for everyone. That's fine, but for those who are interested, it's here for them. As you mentioned, not everyone will have the same opinion on what an 8 is. However an 8 rating shows that the person thinks the tire is pretty good, but it could be better (it's not a 10). Likewise not everyone will have the same opinion on each rating for each tire. Someone may rate a tire at 10 in a category where another user my think it doesn't deserve such a high mark (the "noise" rating you previously disputed on the Nitto for example). That's fine. If both people (or hopefully more) rate the tire, we end up with a representation of what the average user thinks of that tire. There will be extremes in everything, and that's why averages work best with larger sample sizes. That's also why I added the column for the number of reviews. That way we know how many people contributed to it's average rating.
the point was some non subjective ratings help put it into perspective, the subjective ones value we understand

OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Ah, I see, that makes sense. I didn't add the non-subjective fields since they can be looked up much easier than the subjective ones. A lot of tire vendors will even allow you to compare technical specs of various tires. The idea I had for this chart was to be able to compare opinions of first hand experience, since that's not readily available like the technical stuff.
Your recommendation to add some technical fields (like 3 peak, m+s, etc) isn't a bad idea. Just not something I added. I was going for an opinion based chart not a technical one, so I left that stuff out.

xtopherm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HellaYella 2019 JLUR
View attachment 147772

On my quest for tires I've come across multiple threads that become tire debates. There are a lot thread but not a lot of ways to compare one to another. I hope this thread/chart will serve as an easy reference tool to help people compare tires without having to read a thread for every tire they want to look at. It may also help them find a tire they didn't realize they might be interested int. To do this, I need your help.

I made the above chart based on actual user experience. I also added ratings from vendor/manufacturer on common tires discussed (some aren't rated yet). I will also add tires if some reviews one that isn't on the list.

To contribute to the chart simply post what tire you want to rate, along with your ratings in the same order as the chart (Tire, Noise, Ride, Dry, Wet, Snow, Trail, Look, Overall). If you haven't driven in a condition, such as snow for you southerners, simply put a "0" or "x" for that rating.
For example someone from Florida wants to rate the Duratrac but they've never had them in the snow. They could post "Duratrac 9, 9, 10, 9, x, 8, 7, 9" and I'll add their rating in.

To clarify my categories. 1 is the worst 10 is the best.
Noise = I'm talking about road noise. How loud are they when you're driving?
Ride = How do they feel? Shhhh don't tell, but Jeeps drive on the road too, not just the trail. How does this tire feel on the road?
Dry = Do they corner well, do the stop well, do they spin easily when you accelerate?
Wet = This is the same question as dry, but when the ground is wet.
Snow = This lumps light snow, deep snow, slush and ice together. How does the tire handle in winter conditions.
Trail = This lumps all off-road use together. Rocks, dirt, sand, mud, etc. I know some tires are specific to different off-road conditions, but this chart is simplified. Just give it an overall trail rating on your experience.
Look = How do you like the look of the tire/tread? Are they aggressive enough looking, are they boring?
Overall = You're overall take on the tire. It doesn't have to be an average of your ratings. You may love the tire, despite it falling short in some categories.

That's it. Post up your ratings, and I'll continue to update the chart. Obviously we can have discussion about various tires throughout the thread too. Hopefully this goes as planned, and it will become a great tool.
Heres my take on the 35" Nitto Ridge Grapplers, steel wheels, JLUR

Noise = 8 (quieter than most, but not as quiet as I was lead to believe)
Ride = 8 (little stiff and a bit heavy for stock Rubicon shocks to control. Running 39 lbs, though, so may experiment with a little lower pressure.)
Dry = 9 (lots of rubber on the pavement - very good)
Wet = 8 (seem to grip well in wet corners despite not having a ton of sipes.)
Snow = 8 (I have found them to be great in snow, despite not having a lot of sipes)
Trail = 8 (pretty good bite aired down)
Look = 10 (really aggressive looking, and you can choose between two sidewalls)
Overall = 9 (perfect compromise of a street-able daily driver tire that is still great off road.

OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Thanks for the quick response and for posting your ratings. :like:

Sponsored

tCub

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S JL, 2018 Renegade Latitude 4x4
ProComp Xtreme MT2 here - mine are 33x12 on 17x9 ProComp wheels

Noise = 9 (they make noise... they’re mud terrains - if you want some noise they’re great. If you want quiet, they’re good - I’ve heard much louder MTs)

Ride = 10

Dry = 10

Wet = 6 (if you’re driving through standing water on water, SLOW DOWN.. not sure if this is a mud terrain characteristic or due to width, but I had some scary moments driving through what I thought was not too deep standing water on road at posted speed limited. Maybe I over estimated or incorrectly expected performance here. All other wet conditions are fine, i.e. deep water)

Snow = 7 (curious the other persons experience in snow. As a native NEO resident, snow is not a problem in general.. during our last big freak snow storm - which happened on my birthday! - I made it a point to drive around. No issues... take your time, use 4x4 is conditions permit.. that said, these are not M+S rated or whatever and due to tread pattern, may not be great in all types of snow)

Trail = 8 (no issues here.. bought these in November so my wheeling has been icey in addition to muddy and wet. They’ve performed well so far!)

Look = 7 (tread is nice and chunky but I feel it’s the pattern on the side that makes or breaks it.. ProComps are definitely unique and I could see the design being loved or hated. I personally like the look and get lots of compliments)

Overall = 8 (Overall love them! I see you don’t have a value category but I’d say these definitely excel there. Easily accessible, fairly inexpensive, and perform very well all around. I did get 33s as they paired better the other upgrades I’ve made to my Jeep so far, but when it comes time to replace these, I am quite certain I’ll be sticking with ProComp Xtreme MT2s, just in a 35x12.5 configuration. The only other tire I’d consider at this point would be Milestar Patagonia’s if not these. And I absolutely refuse to buy a bigger well known brand after buying and regretting my older 32” BF Goodrich AT K/O2s.. terrible side wall strength.. I’ll leave it at that)

OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Thanks for the detailed review. I've added your ratings to the chart.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Snow = 7 (curious the other persons experience in snow. As a native NEO resident, snow is not a problem in general.. during our last big freak snow storm - which happened on my birthday! - I made it a point to drive around. No issues... take your time, use 4x4 is conditions permit.. that said, these are not M+S rated or whatever and due to tread pattern, may not be great in all types of snow)
I live right between Chicago and Wisconsin. We get a lot of snow, ice, mix, you name it. I can honestly say these are the worst tires I've ever had in winter.

On days where there was snow or ice, the JKU couldn't even make it out of a parking space unless in 4wd. Even in 4wd, it was a crawl to get around. Equally as bad as a rear wheel drive pick-up truck I had previously. Starting and stopping were both poor.

On other JKUs I owned, with multiple different tires, I could easily get around in 2wd in the same conditions.

OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
That definitely explains the "1" you rated it for snow. With its current average at 4.0, it's not a confidence builder for snowy conditions. It'll be interesting to see where it settles in with more reviews. Early indications are that it won't go too high. Although to be honest, I'm surprised by the initial noise ratings. My past experience with Pro Comp tires (years ago and I don't remember the model) they were pretty loud. So far it looks like they've made some design changes to address the noise.

tCub

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S JL, 2018 Renegade Latitude 4x4
I live right between Chicago and Wisconsin. We get a lot of snow, ice, mix, you name it. I can honestly say these are the worst tires I've ever had in winter.

On days where there was snow or ice, the JKU couldn't even make it out of a parking space unless in 4wd. Even in 4wd, it was a crawl to get around. Equally as bad as a rear wheel drive pick-up truck I had previously. Starting and stopping were both poor.

On other JKUs I owned, with multiple different tires, I could easily get around in 2wd in the same conditions.
Very interesting! I’m confident in the rating I gave and there performance in snow (and that it’s okay... 7). I’m 100% certain there’s better performing tires in snow. Your mention of using 4WD to get out of a parking spot is interesting because in our last freak snow storm, I was I parked on the street and got plowed in. I did need 4WD to get out. That - in my opinion - was not a bad thing but other people may perceive that differently.

Also noticed you rated milestar Patagonia’s low in snow on JL but not the JK and mentioned the JL is bad in snow compared to the JK? Curious about that. I have little to compare to personally - first Jeep, first 4x4, first mud terrains but lots of driving under my belt in all seasons.

One concerning thing that I will reiterate is wet performance.. basically hydroplaning. Not sure if it was me and being overly confident, the width of the tire or the tread, but I have to drive differently in rain.
Sponsored