Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
Absolutely. I've seen guys running their tires at max psi even though they aren't going anywhere near the max payload. Harshening the ride for no reason at that point.

I had KM2's for a bit. IIRC I was running at roughly 28 psi with them. Not quite a rough as riding at 36, but surely rougher than 16. I never tried them that low, but I didn't think they were took rough anyway. Noise on the other hand..... dang those things were loud.
KM2s at 16 psi street. What I have amd edge to edge, you note no excess bulges in the sidewalls, nor do they roll when turning...WHY? That tire was built to off-road and compete beyond the GY MTR and it DID.

I was wheel some in the SW all the time and the KM2s out shined any other the the group I was leading. I cannot tell you how many people bought KM2s based up wheeling with me and seeing how they performed.

Just that time in AZ going UP a dry wash and it shale of the 7 Jeeps I had the only tires that were not slashed by the shale. In fact, one guy got slashed so badly, he had to take the wheels off his jeep and go into town and buy 4 new tires, he got the KM2s. I led the run it was carnage on the jeep not shod in KM2s so bad the run was called off after everyone was driving on their spare.

Jeep Wrangler JL Tire comparisons, Owner ratings chart.  What's good and what's hype 09072008004
Sponsored

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
This is an interesting thread.
I'm looking to improve snow traction with our JLUR '22 mainly on unplowed roads.

DaveL
Toronto

OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Falken Wildpeak AT3W would be my pick for that. Great tires all around, but they were surprisingly good in the snow.

Old Jeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
This is an interesting thread.
I'm looking to improve snow traction with our JLUR '22 mainly on unplowed roads.

DaveL
Toronto
I would take a HARD look at GY Duratrac, IIRC they are a 3 Peak Snow Rated tire, I have a set on my JLR and love them, quiet, smooth comfortable ride.

OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Also a great pick. And yes, they are 3 peak/snowflake rated. I've run the Duratrac on more than 1 vehicle and haven't been disappointed (we get a lot of lake effect snow in N.E. Ohio). The only drawback I've had with them, is that they're pretty expensive. Although some people say you get what you pay for, so there's that.

Sponsored

panda234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 JKUR
Also a great pick. And yes, they are 3 peak/snowflake rated. I've run the Duratrac on more than 1 vehicle and haven't been disappointed (we get a lot of lake effect snow in N.E. Ohio). The only drawback I've had with them, is that they're pretty expensive. Although some people say you get what you pay for, so there's that.
I'm on my third set of Duratracs, in great part because of their snow and ice traction. Also, they're decent to good in almost all other conditions, are good on the street as long as your rotate them regularly, like very 5k to 6k miles, and I got 60k miles out of each of the first 2 sets of tires. That's with a 5 tire rotation pattern so the spare gets used as well.

P.S. Even when the tread is very low, they still work surprisingly well on snow and ice.

Old Jeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I just bought 5 Druatracs, 35 x 12:50 x 17 and I great deal on them along with lifetime balance and flat fix etc.

I ONLY run GY / BFG on my Jeeps. I shop for tires based on the experience or recommendations of those who drive what I drive. Been mounting those on Jeep since 2002, no rips, no tears, no flats, and helluva of a lot rock crawling and tirps to Moab and Mexico, you name it and almost 100k miles.

Cheap don't come good and good don't cheap.

Willys_Wonka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUW
Nitto Ridge Grappler

Noise - 10
Ride - 9
Dry - 9
Wet - 8
Snow - 5
Trail - x
Look - 10
Overall - 8

I wasn’t impressed with going up a steep hill in snow but I also wasn’t able to get it in 4H before getting to said hill so my rating is really based on 2H which was marginal to poor. I’ll revise my snow rating if we get anymore this year.
I need an a/t tire that can handle snow, so that ruled out these Nitto’s. I’ll probably go Toyo a/t 3, load-c. Triple peak rated is a plus.

Willys_Storm

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Willys Sport EcoDiesel
Vehicle Showcase
Great information, would be good to have this long lived if possible.

Impression over time can change dramatically due to wear and mileage.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I would take a HARD look at GY Duratrac, IIRC they are a 3 Peak Snow Rated tire, I have a set on my JLR and love them, quiet, smooth comfortable ride.
Thanks! I appreciate your response.

I had let the pressure drop to 31; we have no snow on roads right now.
Our previous Wrangler was a '19. We put Bizzaks on it. They weren't worth the cost compared to the K02's on the Rubi.

DaveL

Sponsored

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I just bought 5 Druatracs, 35 x 12:50 x 17 and I great deal on them along with lifetime balance and flat fix etc.

I ONLY run GY / BFG on my Jeeps. I shop for tires based on the experience or recommendations of those who drive what I drive. Been mounting those on Jeep since 2002, no rips, no tears, no flats, and helluva of a lot rock crawling and tirps to Moab and Mexico, you name it and almost 100k miles.

Cheap don't come good and good don't cheap.
I hear you!

(I went to the Tire Rack site. Googled it first. Turns out they are now owned by Discount Tire.)

Old Jeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I hear you!

(I went to the Tire Rack site. Googled it first. Turns out they are now owned by Discount Tire.)
When you are out alone on the trails there is no room for china bombs! I do a lot of exploring and failure is NOT an option! I go places that it would take you days to walk out of and if you go flat, that means running the spare and you only got one spare, so its U turn and head to the barn.

Below are 2 tires that failed within 6o mi of each other. The first pic note the tread, YES I all but NEW, got less than 1000 mi. Yep, all near new!

Jeep Wrangler JL Tire comparisons, Owner ratings chart.  What's good and what's hype IMG_2537.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Tire comparisons, Owner ratings chart.  What's good and what's hype IMG_2541.JPG

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
When you are out alone on the trails there is no room for china bombs! I do a lot of exploring and failure is NOT an option! I go places that it would take you days to walk out of and if you go flat, that means running the spare and you only got one spare, so its U turn and head to the barn.

Below are 2 tires that failed within 6o mi of each other. The first pic note the tread, YES I all but NEW, got less than 1000 mi. Yep, all near new!

Jeep Wrangler JL Tire comparisons, Owner ratings chart.  What's good and what's hype IMG_2541.JPG
@Old Jeeper
I truly understand and value your opinion.

I was a ski instructor for 35 years. 6 days a week. Snow was a reward! I was always prepared. On cars Have no trouble with driving skill or handling snow/ice. I got there before the plows. Left after they had left. Only concern is black ice cuz can't see it.
Snow tires are really necessary for me with cars. Had many cars with all wheel drive.

The Rubi came with K02's. We found some identical take offs with K02's on, so we have two sets of wheels. It's only our second Jeep; we had 3 Cayennes and a Macan before. Put 16000 km's on the first Cayenne.

The JLU '19 came with Bridgestones on; we had a second set of rims and put the truck Blizzaks on. They were disappointing.

So the JLUR '22 has stock AT K02's on. Ive added air, but haven't driven this week for medical reasons.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I'd just stick w/ the top 3 or 4
Coopers/Mickey Thompson~different tire molds but off the same line
BFG
Goodyear
Toyo & Yokohama (different, but quality-wise, very similar).

Fouts

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon Unlimited
Anyone running the Mickey Thompson Baja Legend MTZ? Mainly looking for noise input.
Sponsored