First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I'm surprised there's little to no feedback on the Toyo OC ATIII tires. I thought they were supposed to be the Falken WP A/T3 slayer. I haven't seen anything about them in snow/winter conditions. Are they not catching on?
They seem like a good tire and I’ve read good snow reviews. They even have a few C load sizes. They’re on the light side too. The sidewall is decent but could be more aggressive and therefore protective. That’s my only hesitation and I keep coming back to the KO2. I’m also waiting to see what MT has with the new & upcoming Baja Boss AT before purchasing in the next couple of months.
Sponsored

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
Toyo Open Country A/T III - Class C - 285/75R17 - Installed 2/22/2021 - So Far:

I will compare this tire to several I have used in the past including BFG KO2, Nitto Ridge Grappler & Firestone Destination M/T 2 products.

Noise: 9 - Very little noise. You do hear the tread blocks whine slightly on a concrete surface at speed. These are, by design, much quieter than any M/T tire I have owned.

Ride: 10 - Aired up to 35 psi cold these tires track well with no squirming tread blocks to deal with. Ride is compliant yet the sidewalls are not overly soft or flexy.

Dry: 9 - Very good dry condition performance. You can overpower them going too fast around a corner, which isn't a good move in a Jeep, and they don't heat up too much at freeway speed either. I saw the tire PSI move up to 38 once they had come up to temperature.

Wet: 8 - Even though this is Arizona we do get some rain now and then. I had the opportunity to do some driving in the wet recently and I was very happy with the results. It takes quite a bit of effort to slide these tires in wet conditions. Of course, a turbo with traction control off can do it. 😁

Snow: No score. Nuthin' like that here at this time.

Trail: 8 - Some light trail (hardpan, gravel, light sand, small rocks & deep sandy wash) action was experienced. No rock crawling at this time. Absolutely no issues at all, even in the deeper sandy washes. The tires stay on top of the sand vs. a M/T that tends to dig it's way to the bottom. The sidewall tread blocks with siping didn't skip off the bigger rocks I encountered and I could feel the tires gripping the sides and tops of those rocks. I did not air down.

Look: 10 - As a matter of comparison I would also score the Nitto Ridge Grapplers a 10, followed by the BFG KO2s at 9 and the Firestone Destination M/T 2 as a 6. Going up in size, from a 255/75R17 to a 285/75R17, didn't hurt the visual score.

Before with the Firestone tires:

Jeep Wrangler JL Tire comparisons, Owner ratings chart.  What's good and what's hype 20210212_122637

After with the Toyos:

Jeep Wrangler JL Tire comparisons, Owner ratings chart.  What's good and what's hype 20210304_104806

Wear: No score - I've only got 100 miles on 'em since they were installed.

So that's if for now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I actually like the look of the Firestones better. There's just something about a big blocky tire that I like. Kinda like Doc Martens I guess.

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler unlimited rubicon
Anyone running General Grabbers X3 35x12.5R17 111Q load C? Max psi is 35.

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR
Having run two sets of Mickey Thompson ATZ P3 tires in “35s” on my JKU for ~100,000 miles combined and use all over North America I mostly agree with the above numbers.

The exception would be snow at 7.5, ride at 8 (35 psi) with just a slightly higher overall rating.

I have run BFG KO2 and KM2 on the same Jeep and by far the ATZ P3 tires are better all around performers. (I still like the BFGs and would give them good marks they would be my second options now)

My third set of ATZs will be installed on my 2020 JLUR soon. In almost 40 years of off roading I can say I have a higher trust in the ATZ P 3s then any tire I have ever used.....and that has been a lot of tires.
Great review, it saved me from repeating what you said, lol. I had a set of 35's on my JKUR for about 2000 miles before I sold it. I purchased a JLUR and a set of 35 inch ATZ P3's was my first purchase. After about 8500 miles I still love them. I'm happy with their performance in 4-6 inches of snow and on Imogene, Engineer Pass and Black Bear they were sure footed on the rocks. I will buy them again but will be shooting for 37's.

Sponsored

Ricky-Tips

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willy’s Edition
Toyo Open Country A/T III - Class C - 285/75R17 - Installed 2/22/2021 - So Far:

I will compare this tire to several I have used in the past including BFG KO2, Nitto Ridge Grapper & Firestone Destination M/T 2 products.

Noise: 9 - Very little noise. You do hear the tread blocks whine slightly on a concrete surface at speed. These are, by design, much quieter than any M/T tire I have owned.

Ride: 10 - Aired up to 35 psi cold these tires track well with no squirming tread blocks to deal with. Ride is compliant yet the sidewalls are not overly soft or flexy.

Dry: 9 - Very good dry condition performance. You can overpower them going to fast, which isn't a good move in a Jeep, and they don't heat up too much at freeway speed either. I saw the tire PSI move up to 38 once they had heated up.

Wet: 8 - Even though this is Arizona we do get some rain now and then. I had the opportunity to do some driving in the wet recently and I was very happy with the results. It takes quite a bit of effort to slide these tires in wet conditions. Of course, a turbo with traction control off can do it. 😁

Snow: No score. Nuthin' like that here at this time.

Trail: 8 - Some light trail (hardpan, gravel, light sand, small rocks & deep sandy wash) action was experienced. No rock crawling at this time. Absolutely no issues at all, even in the deeper sandy washes. The tires stay on top of the sand vs. a M/T that tends to dig it's way to the bottom. The sidewall tread blocks with siping didn't skip off the bigger rocks I encountered and I could feel the tires gripping the sides and tops of those rocks. I did not air down.

Look: 10 - As a matter of comparison I would also score the Nitto Ridge Grapplers a 10, followed by the BFG KO2s at 9 and the Firestone Destination M/T 2 as a 6. Going up in size, from a 255/75R17 to a 285/75R17, didn't hurt the visual score.

Before with the Firestone tires:

Jeep Wrangler JL Tire comparisons, Owner ratings chart.  What's good and what's hype 20210304_104806

After with the Toyos:

Wear: No score - I've only got 100 miles on 'em since they were installed.

So that's if for now.
@JL MADDOG ...Did you do anything to the Willys (lift) or did you just slap on the 285/75’s? Curious because I want this exact tire but I don’t want a lift (2020 Willys).
thx.

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
@JL MADDOG ...Did you do anything to the Willys (lift) or did you just slap on the 285/75’s? Curious because I want this exact tire but I don’t want a lift (2020 Willys).
thx.
No lift required, no rubbing at all.

I have not flexed the suspension much and I expect some rubbing when I do. But I also plan on lifting it a bit.

For street driving and easy peasy off-road I figured I'd be OK and that's how it worked out.

BCFRJeeper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Wrangler YJ 2020 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired Navy
Anyone running Kenda R/T? I have read a few review sites, and watch some review videos and people are saying they're pretty good.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Great review, it saved me from repeating what you said, lol. I had a set of 35's on my JKUR for about 2000 miles before I sold it. I purchased a JLUR and a set of 35 inch ATZ P3's was my first purchase. After about 8500 miles I still love them. I'm happy with their performance in 4-6 inches of snow and on Imogene, Engineer Pass and Black Bear they were sure footed on the rocks. I will buy them again but will be shooting for 37's.
That's great to hear! I believe the upcoming Baja Boss AT is the replacement for these tires so they should be the cream of the crop for AT tires, going to be my next set I'm 99% certain!
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/newest-mickey-thompsons-launching-in-april.65274/

Sponsored

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR

relayer4u

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
The M/T ATZP3 tires are on sale with buy 3 get one free at 4 Wheel Parts right now. :beer:

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yes, I'll be curious what the tread pattern looks like. I really like the aggressive pattern on the ATZ.
Similar tread block, looks to be more noise cancelling technology and more water channeling. That 3rd row of tread has those divisions which should provide more dry grip and even better cold performance. Really looking forward to this one! New Baja AT on top, the ATZ on bottom
Jeep Wrangler JL Tire comparisons, Owner ratings chart.  What's good and what's hype mt ATs

Jeep Wrangler JL Tire comparisons, Owner ratings chart.  What's good and what's hype 1616301858623

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
I was initially excited to see this thread. But then I realized that it was completely user generated numbers. And without being able to compare them directly there is no way to get any form of standardized results. So while I appreciate the effort you have put into this, I feel that I am unable to trust a chart that considers a Goodyear Duratrac better on trails than a Maxis Trepador.
Sponsored