Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I always thought the STT Pro was the pinnacle of Jeep tires until I got my Maxxis RAZR MT. From a subjective standpoint, I think they look better and more aggressive. They are quieter and handle rain better on road. Off road performance is on par with the STT and maybe a bit better because it clears mud slightly better. The Maxxis was also less expensive. Long term treadwear is TBD as I only have about 10k miles on them.
Pics?
Sponsored

Sponsored

jayvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Shouldn't the "Overall" rating be the average of the other ratings combined?

OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
No, because some times there is just "something" you like about a particular item that you can't quite put your finger on, or even something that you can but it's not on the list and/or doesn't compare to the competition. You know... something that makes you like the item despite it's shortcomings.

For example someone could rate vehicles.
Wrangler off road 10, Pavement 8, Noise 4, Ride 5, Efficiency 5. That would make the "overall" 6.4.
Then they rate a run of the mill SUV (Escape, Terrain, Rav-4, etc)
XYZ SUV off road 4, Pavement 9, Noise 10, Ride 7, Efficiency 8. That would make the "overall" 7.6.

So if we just averaged the numbers (which anyone can do if they want to) we don't get that sense of how much the reviewers like the item. I'm sure most of us here will rate a Wrangler above a 6.4 overall, and certainly rate them over a typical SUV. So, averaging the ratings doesn't give us a sense of the overall opinion of the item. Overall how do you like the vehicle despite any shortcomings. Likewise, as it pertains to the chart, how do you like the tire you're revioewing overall?

Make sense why I did it that way?

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
No, because some times there is just "something" you like about a particular item that you can't quite put your finger on, or even something that you can but it's not on the list and/or doesn't compare to the competition. You know... something that makes you like the item despite it's shortcomings.

For example someone could rate vehicles.
Wrangler off road 10, Pavement 8, Noise 4, Ride 5, Efficiency 5. That would make the "overall" 6.4.
Then they rate a run of the mill SUV (Escape, Terrain, Rav-4, etc)
XYZ SUV off road 4, Pavement 9, Noise 10, Ride 7, Efficiency 8. That would make the "overall" 7.6.

So if we just averaged the numbers (which anyone can do if they want to) we don't get that sense of how much the reviewers like the item. I'm sure most of us here will rate a Wrangler above a 6.4 overall, and certainly rate them over a typical SUV. So, averaging the ratings doesn't give us a sense of the overall opinion of the item. Overall how do you like the vehicle despite any shortcomings. Likewise, as it pertains to the chart, how do you like the tire you're revioewing overall?

Make sense why I did it that way?
I'd agree with @jayvis and average the results in the overall. The results are obviously largely dependent on a person's experience running different types of tires. I dont think there is alot to gleam from people who have only run 1 or 2 tires on your list....simply too much bias involved and those reviews skew the data. I'd like to see a subset of the results from folks who have run atleast 3 tires on your list.

OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Well the whole idea of the "overall" category is to see how people like or dislike their specific tires regardless of the individual ratings or each category That's why I called it "overall" instead of "average rating". Anyone with a calculator can average the tire they're interested in if they really want to, but you can't tell what some thinks of the tire overall without them telling us.
I'm sure there are biases in that group, but the same could be said for any category. What one person considers noise a "1" or "10" is purely subjective. That's no different than their opinion of good/bad "ride". Maybe you prefer a stiff ride and rate that a 10, while someone else wants it soft and squishy so they rate it a 1.
The best way to counter the effect of bias is to get reviews from as many members as possible. The higher the number of reviews for a specific tire, the more average the results are. More reviews of each tire means less bias can influence the ratings of every category. That's why I included the column listing how many people reviewed it, so you know that there may be some bias to account for.

stormymk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Firecracker Red
Vehicle Showcase
I would be interested in a "Would By Again." Similarly to the overall rating, sometimes there is just something about a tire that would not make you buy another set again even if it scored great overall. Maybe Owner Satisfaction but a simple Yes/No that correlated to percentage would be easy enough.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Yeah that makes sense, and certainly seems to coincides with the overall rating. I would hope if you rate it overall 10, you'd buy it again. Maybe not though, I guess.

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ:
Noise - 8
Ride - 7 (D load range)
Dry - 10
Wet - 8
Snow -7
Trail - 9
Look - 8
Overall - 9
Wear -8
Having run two sets of Mickey Thompson ATZ P3 tires in “35s” on my JKU for ~100,000 miles combined and use all over North America I mostly agree with the above numbers.

The exception would be snow at 7.5, ride at 8 (35 psi) with just a slightly higher overall rating.

I have run BFG KO2 and KM2 on the same Jeep and by far the ATZ P3 tires are better all around performers. (I still like the BFGs and would give them good marks they would be my second options now)

My third set of ATZs will be installed on my 2020 JLUR soon. In almost 40 years of off roading I can say I have a higher trust in the ATZ P 3s then any tire I have ever used.....and that has been a lot of tires.

Kpunk'n

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport S 2.0T & 2021 Gladiator Rubi Diesel
Occupation
Unemployed
Vehicle Showcase
I believe your poll is great, a lot of your time and thoughts have obviously been put into it. I agree the overall rating should be an even more subjective rating than the other ratings given to a tire. I too am an experienced (old) off/on road jeep driver. It would be unusual to find anyone who has used every tire, therefore, view the data as a source of opinions from users of the tire listed not necessarily a comparison of the tire to other tires.

Tangokilo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Oldsmobile 442, 2001 4runner, 2010 Honda Accord V6 Coupe, 2011 VW Golf, 1969 Triump T100 MC and 2018 JLU Sport S
Toyo Open Country ATIII 285/75 R17 C Load rated. Only a couple hundred dry miles so far. Will update with Michigan wet/snow opinion when it happens.
Noise 9
Ride 8
Dry 8
Look 9
Overall 8.5
These are on a Sport S V6 Manual. Rubicon take off springs 61/62 front and 90/91 rear, 209/210 shocks with Daystar .75 spacers. Got a nice 2.5 lift from that. Now 3.5 total with the Toyos. Much more and it wouldn't fit in the garage... 3rd and 4th gear seem to be in a more usable MPH range now. +3 MPH in 3rd. +4 MPH in 4th. Tom

20200904_171134.jpg

OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Looks good. Pretty close to the stance that I have, you just used different parts to get there.
The rating has been added.
Sponsored

Last edited: