Sponsored

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
thanks for the effort!

would there be any way we could share the data so as to be able to remove a column to remove its influence on the average?
(for example, i don't frankly give a dang what someone else thinks a tire "looks" like; i can't see them from the drivers seat, and i don't buy tires for looks.)

View attachment 650935

On my quest for tires I've come across multiple threads that become tire debates. There are a lot of threads but not a lot of ways to compare one to another. I hope this thread/chart will serve as an easy reference tool to help people compare tires without having to read a thread for every tire they want to look at. It may also help them find a tire they didn't realize they might be interested in. To do this, I need your help.

I made the above chart based on actual user experience. I also added ratings from vendor/manufacturer on common tires discussed (some aren't rated yet). I will also add tires if someone reviews one that isn't on the list.

To contribute to the chart simply post what tire you want to rate, along with your ratings in the same order as the chart (Tire, Noise, Ride, Dry, Wet, Snow, Trail, Look, Overall). If you haven't driven in a condition, such as snow for you southerners, simply put a "0" or "x" for that rating.
For example someone from Florida wants to rate the Duratrac but they've never had them in the snow. They could post "Duratrac 9, 9, 10, 9, x, 8, 7, 9" and I'll add their rating in.

To clarify my categories. 1 is the worst 10 is the best.
Noise = I'm talking about road noise. How loud are they when you're driving?
Ride = How do they feel? Shhhh don't tell, but Jeeps drive on the road too, not just the trail. How does this tire feel on the road?
Dry = Do they corner well, do the stop well, do they spin easily when you accelerate?
Wet = This is the same question as dry, but when the ground is wet.
Snow = This lumps light snow, deep snow, slush and ice together. How does the tire handle in winter conditions.
Trail = This lumps all off-road use together. Rocks, dirt, sand, mud, etc. I know some tires are specific to different off-road conditions, but this chart is simplified. Just give it an overall trail rating on your experience.
Look = How do you like the look of the tire/tread? Are they aggressive enough looking, are they boring?
Overall = You're overall take on the tire. It doesn't have to be an average of your ratings. You may love the tire, despite it falling short in some categories.
Wear = Do they wear out fast/unevenly or do they wear like iron? Do the tread blocks chip off on the edges or do they hold up well to abuse. How is this tire in regards to durability.

That's it. Post up your ratings, and I'll continue to update the chart. Obviously we can have discussion about various tires throughout the thread too. Hopefully this goes as planned, and it will become a great tool.

EDIT/ADDITION:
Upon popular request, I added a category to the chart for wear. Same 1-10 scale, but you can rate how they've held up for you.
Sponsored

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
I've had Blizzaks on other cars, and KO2s and Duratracs on my Jeeps. New Blizzaks are the best non-studded tires I've ever driven on ice. I'd say that Duratracs have about 70% as much traction as Blizzaks on ice, and KO2s have about 50% as much. If the area is fairly flat, they're all fine as long as you drive within the tires' limits. If you have fairly steep hills, like I do in my area, there have been a couple of days over the last 15 years that I've lived here when Blizzaks were okay but marginal, Duratracs were able to get around but very sketchy, requiring extremely careful driving, and the KO2s were a total no go.
Our driveway is very steep, and there’s no driving condition that’s more slippery than the freezing rain that completely encases and smoothes all road surface texture. We get that ice from time to time — so slick I need boot crampons to walk on the three-quarter-minus margins on the outside shoulder of the highway. With studded Duratracs on my pickup, and 1000 pounds of weight in the bed, I can slowly crawl up the ice encased driveway with nary a slip.

There’s a Duratrac solution for jeeps if you don’t need tires over 35” tall. unfortunately, no 37s for a 17” wheel, so I bought and studded 37” Grabber ATX. I can’t report how they perform on freezing rain.

OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
thanks for the effort!

would there be any way we could share the data so as to be able to remove a column to remove its influence on the average?
(for example, i don't frankly give a dang what someone else thinks a tire "looks" like; i can't see them from the drivers seat, and i don't buy tires for looks.)
I'm not sure I understand the dilemma, but I'm happy to share the file. If you don't care about the looks, just ignore that column.

There may be some confusion though. If you're looking at the "overall" rating, that is not an average of all the columns. The "overall" column is an independent category based on reviewer ratings, which is averaged on it's own like all the other columns.
For example:
If someone rates a tire 10's across the board in everything except sound which they rate it as a 1, it would have a total of 71 (seven 10's and one 1). Divide that by 8 columns to average it and the "overall" average would be 8.8.
However, that person may say, "it's a great tire, but the noise doesn't make it worth it, so overall it's a 5 tire". Therefore, I made it so the "overall" column could be rated on it's own, and would show a reviewed 5 not the average 8.8.
Basically "overall' isn't an average, it's the reviewer's opinion on how good/bad the tire is as a whole, which may or may not match up with it's statistical average.

As for the for data. It's on an exel file saved as ods format. I had to convert it to the standard xls for upload. Unfortunately the forum won't attach the file as the original ods so I'm not sure what formatting, if any, was lost during the conversion. The converted file is attached though if you want to play with it.

Attachments

AEDRUBI

First Name
AED
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL RUBICON
I’ve got to get new tires on, as trying to address a recent past ‘death wobble’ experience.

I found the BFG KO2 that came on it, thru Walmart, for a good price, but wondering if there’s some catch at $189
https://www.walmart.com/ip/BFGoodri...-Season-LT285-70R17-C-116-113Q-Tire/715714802

Stopped by my local Discount-Tire, but they’d couldn’t price match that.

I saw the Micky Thomasons Baja Boss and definitely leaning that way….looking now to see if I can find them cheaper and ask they price match

OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
The link shows $250, so I'm assuming that $189 is after the rebate. Which probably why D-T couldn't price match. $250 is about the right price, so that rebate bringing it down $61 a tire. Sounds like a good deal and probably a buy 3 get 1 free kind of sale, which is pretty good. I'd definitely look at those if I was looking for tires. I've had good experiences with the KO2 and the price doesn't sound like they're up to anything fishy.

Sponsored

AEDRUBI

First Name
AED
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL RUBICON
Wow….looks like they went up

Jeep Wrangler JL Tire comparisons, Owner ratings chart.  What's good and what's hype D49333E9-9AA3-4882-AFBD-F77E328A9053

Last edited:

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
i wouldn’t call it a “dilemma”;
i expected the overall rating to be an average of the other values.

thanks for the file!

I'm not sure I understand the dilemma, but I'm happy to share the file. If you don't care about the looks, just ignore that column.

There may be some confusion though. If you're looking at the "overall" rating, that is not an average of all the columns. The "overall" column is an independent category based on reviewer ratings, which is averaged on it's own like all the other columns.
For example:
If someone rates a tire 10's across the board in everything except sound which they rate it as a 1, it would have a total of 71 (seven 10's and one 1). Divide that by 8 columns to average it and the "overall" average would be 8.8.
However, that person may say, "it's a great tire, but the noise doesn't make it worth it, so overall it's a 5 tire". Therefore, I made it so the "overall" column could be rated on it's own, and would show a reviewed 5 not the average 8.8.
Basically "overall' isn't an average, it's the reviewer's opinion on how good/bad the tire is as a whole, which may or may not match up with it's statistical average.

As for the for data. It's on an exel file saved as ods format. I had to convert it to the standard xls for upload. Unfortunately the forum won't attach the file as the original ods so I'm not sure what formatting, if any, was lost during the conversion. The converted file is attached though if you want to play with it.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
not sure which Mickey Thompson Baja Boss you’re talking about, but i’ve been very happy with the M/Ts i’ve been using, and the new A/Ts are supposed to be very good for All Terrains.
the M/Ts are not too loud for such an open tread, and worked well in all types of Dez i’ve had them in so far.

I’ve got to get new tires on, as trying to address a recent past ‘death wobble’ experience.

I found the BFG KO2 that came on it, thru Walmart, for a good price, but wondering if there’s some catch at $189
https://www.walmart.com/ip/BFGoodri...-Season-LT285-70R17-C-116-113Q-Tire/715714802

Stopped by my local Discount-Tire, but they’d couldn’t price match that.

I saw the Micky Thomasons Baja Boss and definitely leaning that way….looking now to see if I can find them cheaper and ask they price match

OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
i wouldn’t call it a “dilemma”;
i expected the overall rating to be an average of the other values.

thanks for the file!
Yeah, that's what I figured you were thinking. Glad I was able to clarify it for you.
FWIW, now that you've got the file, you can play with it and drop in an extra column that give you the statistical average of any fields you want too. Or just change that column, or anything else. Excel is a pretty powerful tool.

variableknife

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Wrangler Sport S
Need some advice. I am currently running Michelin highway tires on my JL, and they seem to work fine; however, I am saving up for a new set, as I need to plan this expense in advance. I live in Northern Wisconsin, so about 5-6 months of heavy snow and ice. I am trying to balance exceptional snow/ice traction with aggressive off roading tread. I am leaning toward the Falken Wildpeak AT/3, but am open to other suggestions, for those of you much more experienced in the tire world than I. Thanks for any input you may offer.

Sponsored

panda234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 JKUR
Need some advice. I am currently running Michelin highway tires on my JL, and they seem to work fine; however, I am saving up for a new set, as I need to plan this expense in advance. I live in Northern Wisconsin, so about 5-6 months of heavy snow and ice. I am trying to balance exceptional snow/ice traction with aggressive off roading tread. I am leaning toward the Falken Wildpeak AT/3, but am open to other suggestions, for those of you much more experienced in the tire world than I. Thanks for any input you may offer.
With 5 to 6 months of heavy snow, I'd either go with Goodyear Duratracs, or get a second set of wheels with dedicated snow tires.

OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I was going to recommend the Duratrac too. I've run both The Duratrac and Wildpeak AT3W and I don't think you'll be disappointed with either choice. I don't do any extreme off-roading so maybe not the best gauge for their trail use, but they've handled the woods and oilwell road just fine. No real difference off road for me.
Both do well in the winter, but I think the Duractrac are just a little bit better there. Which is why I was going to recommend them as an alternative if you want an option other than the Falken.
FWIW, in Northeast Ohio we get a lot of snow (due to lake effect) which has us dealing with sketchy roads from October/November to March/April.

AZJeepGuy

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Hydro Blue
Need some advice. I am currently running Michelin highway tires on my JL, and they seem to work fine; however, I am saving up for a new set, as I need to plan this expense in advance. I live in Northern Wisconsin, so about 5-6 months of heavy snow and ice. I am trying to balance exceptional snow/ice traction ..,
Get a second set of cheap rims and buy snow tires. They are softer and made for snow. Probably get three winters out of them.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Get a second set of cheap rims and buy snow tires. They are softer and made for snow. Probably get three winters out of them.
Yeah, those Nokians are supposed to be pretty good for that.

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
Cooper STT Pro 33s / 37s

5 sets of these so far: Mixed use including Texas hill country ranch hunting with mesquite thorns and cactus. Very tough side walls. Soft tread that doesn't chip from sharp granite rock. Excellent traction on wet/dry rocks on level 4 trails (1-5 rated) . Never had a flat with any of the five sets. Downside... only get about 40 K miles out of the 33s on my older JKU and about the same on our 2018 JLUR running 37s. On second set of 37s.

37 x 12.5 X 17 (one set was 13.5)

Noise = 7
Ride = 9
Dry = 8 (pavement)
Wet = 8 (pavement)
Snow = X ( not enough exposure to rate. Tops of Ouray passes only)
Trail = 10
Look = 10 (IMHO)
Overall = 8

Wrangler Duratrac 33s

At least 3 sets, and truly loved those tires. Got close to 65 k mixed use miles from them and was totally digging them. Problem was the mesquite thorns on hunting lease (not on most normal trails). Side walls could not handle them and I had many non reparable sidewall punctures. No other type flats but we spend too much time in that environment.
(I will say Discount Tire stands by their warranty no questions asked) I would still be running them if not for the mesquite thorns.

33 x 12.5 x 15

Noise = 9
Ride = 9
Dry = 9
Wet = 9
Snow = x
Trail = 10
Look = 9
Overall = 10 (see above)
Sponsored