Sponsored

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
I live right between Chicago and Wisconsin. We get a lot of snow, ice, mix, you name it. I can honestly say these are the worst tires I've ever had in winter.

On days where there was snow or ice, the JKU couldn't even make it out of a parking space unless in 4wd. Even in 4wd, it was a crawl to get around. Equally as bad as a rear wheel drive pick-up truck I had previously. Starting and stopping were both poor.

On other JKUs I owned, with multiple different tires, I could easily get around in 2wd in the same conditions.
I'm from generally the same area... grew up in NW suburbs, now live in Milwaukee...

I'm confident that I can handle most modern tires in the rain or snow... it's the ice rating I'm worried most of all. My 11 mile drive is either on the Interstate, which always gets the first attention, or mostly flat urban street level driving... but there is an occasional hill, so I'm worried most about the 10 days a year it gets a little icy and I slide into a parked car or street lamp.

So far I've left the Michelin highway tires & steel wheels on because I like the way they have handled the weather... but they will be off by March and replaced with something better looking.
Sponsored

Mtenna99

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Programmer
Clubs

Anyone have any additional info on the BFG MK3? Debating that vs the KO2.

Thanks!
I went from 33 K02 to 37 KM3. I have had them on for 3,000 miles. On road quality and noise level is great just run the correct tire pressure via a chalk test. Be sure to stay on top of tire pressure and rotations. I donā€™t find them much different on the road then the K02. I have not been in snow yet but I expect it to be a little bit worse but not bad. When I took them offroad I was very impressed. I decided to get KM3 after talking with some very knowledgeable jeepers. They all had really good things to say and have continued to run KM3. The trails I did would have been a nightmare in the K02. Anything you have specific concerns about or want to know?

MeanPeachMojito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Forester, 2019 JLU Sport S
I went from 33 K02 to 37 KM3. I have had them on for 3,000 miles. On road quality and noise level is great just run the correct tire pressure via a chalk test. Be sure to stay on top of tire pressure and rotations. I donā€™t find them much different on the road then the K02. I have not been in snow yet but I expect it to be a little bit worse but not bad. When I took them offroad I was very impressed. I decided to get KM3 after talking with some very knowledgeable jeepers. They all had really good things to say and have continued to run KM3. The trails I did would have been a nightmare in the K02. Anything you have specific concerns about or want to know?

You say the KO2's would've been a nightmare... I'm looking at them for my daily snow/some off road wear. I'm looking at the 33's on my stock height Sport S. What kind of issues do you think you would've had? I don't think I'll be off road enough for a MT. Ideally I'd have something with low noise and light(ish) weight.

Caymanedge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
So I am running the Patagonia 38 now and looking to make a change. Not unhappy with them, although keeping them at like 35psi for the road is a pain after airing down and the road ride is a little rougher I believe. Jeep is 70% road but the off-road ranges from sand/mud in the East to slickrock in the West. So an all around tire with decent road qualities. I had settled on the KO2 prior to seeing the KM3....

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
I'm from generally the same area... grew up in NW suburbs, now live in Milwaukee...

I'm confident that I can handle most modern tires in the rain or snow... it's the ice rating I'm worried most of all. My 11 mile drive is either on the Interstate, which always gets the first attention, or mostly flat urban street level driving... but there is an occasional hill, so I'm worried most about the 10 days a year it gets a little icy and I slide into a parked car or street lamp.

So far I've left the Michelin highway tires & steel wheels on because I like the way they have handled the weather... but they will be off by March and replaced with something better looking.
My experience with KO2s on packed snow and ice is extensive ā€” certainly more than 100,000 miles ā€” and Oregon is covered in mountains that receive extremely heavy snow-loads. The KO2s are fantastic on packed snow and ice. The Tire Rack customer survey results, which reflect thousands of purchasers, confirm that, as do many videos on YouTube. My brother lives above Glenwood Springs, Colorado at about 8,000 feet. Heā€™s buried in snow every winter, all winter, and he says the 37ā€œ KO2s on his Jeep are the best snow tires heā€™s ever had. He wants to bump up a size to Nittos or Patagonias for better mud and rock performance in the summer, but heā€™s sold on the KO2s for winter driving.

Forty years ago I was running the old generation BFG ATs on my pickup. I had to get from Bend to Eugene on Christmas Eve, but the State Police had closed the pass due to exceptionally heavy snow and wind. When the storm let up they opened the pass and I made it past the check point, but they closed agin shortly after, because the snow and wind returned with a vengeance. It was brutal up top ā€” the worst snow storm Iā€˜ve ever been through. Visibility was terrible and the wind was carrying recently plowed snow from the 8 foot snow banks back into the road. I was scared spitless but it was past midnight and there was no alternative, so I continued on at about 20 mph,. The snow on the roadway was so deep up top I was pushing snow with my license plate bracket.

When I got off the pass and closer to McKenzie Bridge it was raining and the pavement was clear, so I picked up the pace to find a safe place to pull over for a piss and to unlock my hubs. A few miles later I found a place to stop and I got out. I lost my footing as soon as my foot hit the pavement. The rain had been freezing as it his the pavement (and the truck), but I hadnā€™t noticed. There were icicles hanging off my side mirrors, and the truckā€™s hood and antennae were completely encased in ice. I had to hang on the driverā€™s door to piss, because it was too slick to make it around the truck. I couldnā€™t walk on that pavement, but I could drive with the BFG ATs. I made it the last 50 miles, up hills and down, at about 30 mph. No problem.

All things being equal, and they seldom are, an all-position tire with siping is best on ice. Even better with studs. The harder rubber, big-lugged, mud tires tend to be particularly awful on ice. My wifeā€™s diesel Ford Super-duty had Toyo MTs on it, and one winter it wouldnā€™t make it up our driveway in four wheel drive, even with a 1,000 pound tool box in the back. After multiple attempts, in both forward and reverse (to put the greatest weight over the lowest drive wheels) we took the truck down to the tire store for new tires. When we got home we drove up the still-frozen driveway with nary a tire slip.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
My experience with KO2s on packed snow and ice is extensive ā€” certainly more than 100,000 miles ā€” and Oregon is covered in mountains that receive extremely heavy snow-loads. The KO2s are fantastic on packed snow and ice. The Tire Rack customer survey results, which reflect thousands of purchasers, confirm that, as do many videos on YouTube. My brother lives above Glenwood Springs, Colorado at about 8,000 feet. Heā€™s buried in snow every winter, all winter, and he says the 37ā€œ KO2s on his Jeep are the best snow tires heā€™s ever had. He wants to bump up a size to Nittos or Patagonias for better mud and rock performance in the summer, but heā€™s sold on the KO2s for winter driving.

Forty years ago I was running the old generation BFG ATs on my pickup. I had to get from Bend to Eugene on Christmas Eve, but the State Police had closed the pass due to exceptionally heavy snow and wind. When the storm let up they opened the pass and I made it past the check point, but they closed agin shortly after, because the snow and wind returned with a vengeance. It was brutal up top ā€” the worst snow storm Iā€˜ve ever been through. Visibility was terrible and the wind was carrying recently plowed snow from the 8 foot snow banks back into the road. I was scared spitless but it was past midnight and there was no alternative, so I continued on at about 20 mph,. The snow on the roadway was so deep up top I was pushing snow with my license plate bracket.

When I got off the pass and closer to McKenzie Bridge it was raining and the pavement was clear, so I picked up the pace to find a safe place to pull over for a piss and to unlock my hubs. A few miles later I found a place to stop and I got out. I lost my footing as soon as my foot hit the pavement. The rain had been freezing as it his the pavement (and the truck), but I hadnā€™t noticed. There were icicles hanging off my side mirrors, and the truckā€™s hood and antennae were completely encased in ice. I had to hang on the driverā€™s door to piss, because it was too slick to make it around the truck. I couldnā€™t walk on that pavement, but I could drive with the BFG ATs. I made it the last 50 miles, up hills and down, at about 30 mph. No problem.

All things being equal, and they seldom are, an all-position tire with siping is best on ice. Even better with studs. The harder rubber, big-lugged, mud tires tend to be particularly awful on ice. My wifeā€™s diesel Ford Super-duty had Toyo MTs on it, and one winter it wouldnā€™t make it up our driveway in four wheel drive, even with a 1,000 pound tool box in the back. After multiple attempts, in both forward and reverse (to put the greatest weight over the lowest drive wheels) we took the truck down to the tire store for new tires. When we got home we drove up the still-frozen driveway with nary a tire slip.
Now that's one fine post right there^^^^
I think the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT should be a great choice as well, it's 3peak snow rated and has the newest tread compound technology, and w/ the more aggressive and deeper tread and sidewall biters than most ATs it should perform great when the going gets tough as well.

That's the only aspect of most ATs that I'm not a fan of (including the BFGs) is the rather shallow tread depth, but then again this also can contribute to more behaved road manners, so there's that :) The Mickey Thompsons, Cooper ATs and Falken Wildpeak ATs are exceptions w/ tread depth at 18/32nds or deeper.

JollieOllie

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Unlimited Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
KO2 Winter Report

First time Jeep owner. I have the Rubicon 4xe. We received 46 cm (18 inches) in Ottawa today and my Jeep is totally stock with the KO2s. I was pleasantly surprised with the KO2s, again first time Jeep owner and I have nothing to compare it to. I had constant traction. I was out before the snow plows and barely noticed the wheels spinning. It actually did not feel like I was in a snow storm. Utterly amazed by both the Jeep and the tires. I drove through big piles of snow left by the snow plows. I deliberately stopped in those snow piles to get stuck. Nothing. The Jeep just kept on going. I LOVE this Jeep!!!
I will note that in the summer rains, the tire did not meet my expectations with traction not what I had hoped it would be. But winter usage - amazing!
It was not wet snow, more powdery.

Jeep Wrangler JL Tire comparisons, Owner ratings chart.  What's good and what's hype 314B1FF7-1D73-4740-B957-09CD4BC3DA47

Last edited:

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
A/T's are hype IMO. Most any tire with studs win out in ice and packed snow. I've seem AWD SUV's with studs drive right past stuck 4X4's with A/T's. It amazes me folks compromise their Wranglers with one set of A/T tires when they live in snow/ice country. A/T's are noted as a 4 season compromise design and not great in any season. Best to have a dedicated second set of studded winter tires & wheels when you live in snow/ice country. BTW, Today many MT's have good siping and deep tread for wet roads during spring/summer/fall.
I lived in Spokane, Wa. for 24 years which has major ice storms and Tahoe City,Ca. for 7 which gets over 14' of snow annually. I never depended on 1 set of tires & wheels alone. Used winter take off's were common and cheap too. I now live in snow & iceless SoCal and I do enjoy my one set of M/T's on my Wrangler, A/T's :puke:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=276

Last edited:

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Had Blizzaks and Factory AT's on the Wrangler.
Guvmint doesn't allow studs here. Due to highway wear.....

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

Sponsored

panda234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 JKUR
I've had Goodrich KO2, Goodyear Duratrac, and Hankook Dynapro AT-M on my Jeeps. I really didn't care for the Hankooks, they were middling in most regards; their best feature was being fairly quiet. The KO2s and Duratracs are both good tires with different strengths and only minor weaknesses. In order of my preference from worst to best.

Hankook
Noise 9
Ride 7 - Soft and kind of bouncy feeling
Dry 5 - Okay grip, but sidewall is very soft and rolls under when cornering hard and steering feel is like mush.
Wet 5 - Same issues as in the dry
Snow 5 - Better than a mud tire but not good, just adequate
Trail 7 - Grip was okay, but the sidewalls are pretty wimpy and I wouldn't do any rock crawling with them.
Looks 5
Overall 5 - Wouldn't get again or recommend.
Wear 5 - Got 40k out of a set of 5 being rotated through all 5 tires.

Goodrich KO2 - best on the road and in daily driving except for snow and ice, the best A/T type tire I've driven in sand
Noise 9
Ride 8
Dry 10
Wet 8 - They hydroplane a little easier than the Duratracs or the Hankooks but wet grip is good
Snow 7 - They're pretty good in snow call it an 8, not as good on ice call it a 6
Trail 9 - Good for just about anything except mud.
Looks 9
Overall 8 - If I drove in sand a lot instead of snow and ice, this would be my choice.
Wear 9 - Got 75k out of a set of 5 being rotated through all 5 tires.

Duratrac - If snow and ice traction are important to you, these are the ones to get
Noise 8 - Rotate every 5k and noise isn't a problem, past that they start getting noisy, with the KO2s and Hankooks it didn't matter so much, every 10k was fine for rotation
Ride 7 - Mostly pretty good, but a little harsh over some bumps on the street, better offroad
Dry 8 - Pretty good grip but limited steering feedback.
Wet 9
Snow 10 - 8 or 9 on ice, best tire on snow and ice I've ever driven short of full on winter tires like Blizzaks or Xice.
Trail 9 - Not as good in sand as the KO2s but as good everywhere else and better in mud. Some people say the sidewalls are weak. I've had no problems, but I don't do much rock crawling and I tend to be careful.
Looks 9
Overall 9 - Now on my second set of them
Wear 9 - Got 72k out of a set of 5 being rotated through all 5 tires.

Last edited:

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I've had Goodrich KO2, Goodyear Duratrac, and Hankook Dynapro AT-M on my Jeeps. I really didn't care for the Hankooks, they were middling in most regards; their best feature was being fairly quiet. The KO2s and Duratracs are both good tires with different strengths and only minor weaknesses. In order of my preference from worst to best.

Hankook
Noise 9
Ride 7 - Soft and kind of bouncy feeling
Dry 5 - Okay grip, but sidewall is very soft and rolls under when cornering hard and steering feel is like mush.
Wet 5 - Same issues as in the dry
Snow 5 - Better than a mud tire but not good, just adequate
Trail 7 - Grip was okay, but the sidewalls are pretty wimpy and I wouldn't do any rock crawling with them.
Looks 5
Overall 5 - Wouldn't get again or recommend.
Wear 5 - Got 40k out of a set of 5 being rotated through all 5 tires.

Goodrich KO2 - best on the road and in daily driving except for snow and ice, the best A/T type tire I've driven in sand
Noise 9
Ride 8
Dry 10
Wet 8 - They hydroplane a little easier than the Duratracs or the Hankooks but wet grip is good
Snow 7 - They're pretty good in snow call it an 8, not as good on ice call it a 6
Trail 9 - Good for just about anything except mud.
Looks 9
Overall 8 - Wouldn't get again or recommend.
Wear 9 - Got 75k out of a set of 5 being rotated through all 5 tires.

Duratrac - If snow and ice traction are important to you, these are the ones to get
Noise 8 - Rotate every 5k and noise isn't a problem, past that they start getting noisy, with the KO2s and Hankooks it didn't matter so much, every 10k was fine for rotation
Ride 7 - Mostly pretty good, but a little harsh over some bumps on the street, better offroad
Dry 8 - Pretty good grip but limited steering feedback.
Wet 9
Snow 10 - 8 or 9 on ice, best tire on snow and ice I've ever driven short of full on winter tires like Blizzaks or Xice.
Trail 9 - Not as good in sand as the KO2s but as good everywhere else and better in mud. Some people say the sidewalls are weak. I've had no problems, but I don't do much rock crawling and I tend to be careful.
Looks 9
Overall 9 - Now on my second set of them
Wear 9 - Got 72k out of a set of 5 being rotated through all 5 tires.
Nice summation, getting some serious mileage out of those tires, a bit surprised you wouldn't buy BFGs again given your review. Or maybe that just means you would get them again if Duratracs weren't available in the size you needed??? How much tread was left on those 72/75k mile sets?

panda234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 JKUR
I really wanted the extra traction in snow and ice that the Duratracs provide. On a day with really nasty ice, the Duratracs can still make it up and down the hills when the KO2s simply can't. Since I live where snow and ice are pretty common, that was a deciding factor. I generally run the tires down to just a little above the wear bars, so they were pretty used up. I would also say that the Duratracs work better at low tread depth than the KO2s, but it isn't a big difference. To get the kind of mileage I got, it takes rotating through all five tires regularly and keeping a close eye on the inflation pressures.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I really wanted the extra traction in snow and ice that the Duratracs provide. On a day with really nasty ice, the Duratracs can still make it up and down the hills when the KO2s simply can't. Since I live where snow and ice are pretty common, that was a deciding factor. I generally run the tires down to just a little above the wear bars, so they were pretty used up. I would also say that the Duratracs work better at low tread depth than the KO2s, but it isn't a big difference. To get the kind of mileage I got, it takes rotating the tires regularly and keeping a close eye on the inflation pressures.
Understood^^^
I believe the Duratracs have 18/32nds tread depth vs the BFG 15/32nds so a big win there as well!

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I live right between Chicago and Wisconsin. We get a lot of snow, ice, mix, you name it. I can honestly say these are the worst tires I've ever had in winter.

On days where there was snow or ice, the JKU couldn't even make it out of a parking space unless in 4wd. Even in 4wd, it was a crawl to get around. Equally as bad as a rear wheel drive pick-up truck I had previously. Starting and stopping were both poor.

On other JKUs I owned, with multiple different tires, I could easily get around in 2wd in the same conditions.
black ice is my concern.
And untrained drivers with cars that aren't maintained for winters and have not traction. Blizzaks for that reason on the Wrangerl. Not worried about snow. Been a ski instructor for 35 years.
Sponsored