First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
So I’m going to go with either 35X12.50R17 or 315/70/17 tires on my JLUR. Probably on a 8.5x17” wheel, 2.5-3” lift. The question I have is, which tire? I know some of you have had at least 2 of these (perhaps all 4?) on your current or previous Jeeps and can directly compare one to another knowledgebly. For those that have, which do you prefer and why?
Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
I would say if you lived in a snowy or icy climate go with the KO2’s. There is no comparison in those conditions. Being in Texas I would say the Coopers hands down as a mud terrain. I have owned all 4 types and would only consider the two I have mentioned. That’s not to say the others are bad tires whatsoever, I just don’t see them on the same playing field for what and where I use them.

The BFGs are the quietest tire you’ll buy and are just amazing in the snow, and the Coopers are just a crazy sticky rock tire that are darn quiet and wear and look terrific.

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I would say if you lived in a snowy or icy climate go with the KO2’s. There is no comparison in those conditions. Being in Texas I would say the Coopers hands down as a mud terrain. I have owned all 4 types and would only consider the two I have mentioned. That’s not to say the others are bad tires whatsoever, I just don’t see them on the same playing field for what and where I use them.

The BFGs are the quietest tire you’ll buy and are just amazing in the snow, and the Coopers are just a crazy sticky rock tire that are darn quiet and wear and look terrific.
Thanks, very helpful insights. In Houston ice/snow performance isn’t an issue. I’m surprised that you say the STT Pro are quiet, I would have thought that they’d be the noisiest if the group just looking at the tread pattern.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Thanks, very helpful insights. In Houston ice/snow performance isn’t an issue. I’m surprised that you say the STT Pro are quiet, I would have thought that they’d be the noisiest if the group just looking at the tread pattern.
No sir. The tread pattern is designed to keep noise down to a minimum. They really are a great tire. If I didn’t need the snow performance they would be on my JL right now.

Wade Wilson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1962 Willys PU, 2006 TJ, 2014 JKU, 2018 JLU Sahara
I've run 315 Duratracs on my JK, I'll be putting the same tires on the JL as soon as it arrives. Great tires!!!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I've run 315 Duratracs on my JK, I'll be putting the same tires on the JL as soon as it arrives. Great tires!!!
Thanks but not interested in those. Only the 4 options listed. Narrowing down the choices.

johnnymiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ride BFGs for several reasons....
on road theyre quiet, they don't catch pavement grooves, theyre great in snow, they don't hydroplane, and they last.
theyre also pretty good on soft sand at the beach and they look great.
if I was doing serious mud, I might go with a different tire...idk....but I don't, so ill stick with the BFGs
the KOs have been great for me.
i don't know Texas, so your mileage may vary

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I ride BFGs for several reasons....
on road theyre quiet, they don't catch pavement grooves, theyre great in snow, they don't hydroplane, and they last.
theyre also pretty good on soft sand at the beach and they look great.
if I was doing serious mud, I might go with a different tire...idk....but I don't, so ill stick with the BFGs
the KOs have been great for me.
i don't know Texas, so your mileage may vary
Thanks! Snow performance isn't an issue here, but it's a good thing if they perform well in wet conditions. Road manners are important as well since there are no trails very close to me so any off roading will require trips of at least several hours to get there.

boogie

First Name
kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep jl
Locking at all of these also

Pressurized

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Have the Coopers on mine, the Ridge Grapplers on my daughters and the KO2's on my son in laws... I'd do the Ridge Grapplers hands down. Their only drawback is weight. And you might get a slight advantage in inclement weather with the KO2's.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
More votes! More experiences! All terrain tires are a new ball game for me. Knowledge of passenger car Max Performance summer tires I have covered. Mud terrain, all terrain, etc? Not so much.

The Pooch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
So I’m going to go with either 35X12.50R17 or 315/70/17 tires on my JLUR. Probably on a 8.5x17” wheel, 2.5-3” lift. The question I have is, which tire? I know some of you have had at least 2 of these (perhaps all 4?) on your current or previous Jeeps and can directly compare one to another knowledgebly. For those that have, which do you prefer and why?
If you're going to go through the trouble of the lift on the Rubi than no reason not to go with 37s! You'll probably regret the 35s if you can fit 37s.

OP
OP
Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
If you're going to go through the trouble of the lift on the Rubi than no reason not to go with 37s! You'll probably regret the 35s if you can fit 37s.
Trust me, I have had the mental back and forth over this issue. Still do sometimes! In the end, I live in an are where it's not feasible for me to off road very often. If I were hitting trails every month or so, I would probably opt for the 37s. Also I have some concern with my wife being able to get in and out, she's only 5'3" with short legs. Also, I know how I am and if I went with 37s I would definitely regear the axles which is significant additional cost beyond the thousands I am already going to sink into a brand new $54K vehicle. Lol. I'm learning that Jeeps (done right) are really expensive.

All that said, maybe when the time comes I'll talk myself into 37s. The insights and opinions should be still valid for 37" wheels as much as 35's, no?

johnnymiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honestly, if you're not going to hit serious trails where you will need to hit the sway bar disconnect and stuff the tires in the wheel wells, which it sounds like you're not gonna do, then I would just slap 35s on for looks and call it a day.
it will look great, you wont suffer a huge mileage penalty, it will handle pretty much the same, it will stop pretty much the same, your wife will still be able to get in, and it wont cost too much.
I finally got to try a 6 speed this weekend and immediately ordered one. as soon as it gets here, I will do exactly what I suggested with some KO2s.

The Pooch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Trust me, I have had the mental back and forth over this issue. Still do sometimes! In the end, I live in an are where it's not feasible for me to off road very often. If I were hitting trails every month or so, I would probably opt for the 37s. Also I have some concern with my wife being able to get in and out, she's only 5'3" with short legs. Also, I know how I am and if I went with 37s I would definitely regear the axles which is significant additional cost beyond the thousands I am already going to sink into a brand new $54K vehicle. Lol. I'm learning that Jeeps (done right) are really expensive.

All that said, maybe when the time comes I'll talk myself into 37s. The insights and opinions should be still valid for 37" wheels as much as 35's, no?
I more than get it. I guess my point is than why bother with a lift? Just slap some 35s on your Rubicon and be done. I'm more than happy, want 37s but know that would require a lift at a min (prolly regear as well with "C" depending on the offroading frequency). And of course an aftermarket spare tire carrier.

Plus to consider the daily driving changes post the lift.

I'm waiting for running boards (Rhino B20) to be delivered for my wife and kids to get in and out.
Sponsored