First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I'm a long-time JK owner who is planning a Diesel JL purchase. I'm also a firm believer in the need for additional support on any spare 35" or higher. Ideally, I want a AEV frame-mounted carrier that works with the OEM steel rear bumper, but that has been promised for a long time. [basically the setup in my avatar]

Are their any good solutions on the horizon? I am not very price-sensitive for a well-engineered quality product.
Sponsored

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lots of options are out there
I would agree with your statement on the JK, but haven't seen any for the JL. I don't want to change out the bumper (I like the OEM steel) and I don't trust the tailgate "reinforcement" kits. What's left?

Last edited:

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
There are some options that are "hinged" tailgate reinforcements. Evo already has one available. I'm waiting for Teraflex to release theirs, which will complement the Alpha HD carrier that I've been happy with.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I would agree with your statement on the JK, but haven't seen any for the JL. I don't want to change out the bumper (I like the OEM steel) and I don't trust the tailgate "reinforcement" kits. What's left?
I have the evo tire carrier, it replaces the hinges and bolts to the tub. It is solid, and does not move, or rattle. Some have a problem with the welds not looking very good...:facepalm:.... to me I like the way it looks......:), I think it goes with the whole evo style.......

A9F34527-00F1-442F-B1D0-8E461DCA1355.jpeg
3CC8CEB2-027A-4785-96E9-1A6F45019512.jpeg
C7216578-3EB4-4F22-8675-9EAC243A27B6.jpeg

Sponsored

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
I have the evo tire carrier, it replaces the hinges and bolts to the tub. It is solid, and does not move, or rattle. Some have a problem with the welds not looking very good...:facepalm:.... to me I like the way it looks......:), I think it goes with the whole evo style.......

A9F34527-00F1-442F-B1D0-8E461DCA1355.jpeg
3CC8CEB2-027A-4785-96E9-1A6F45019512.jpeg
C7216578-3EB4-4F22-8675-9EAC243A27B6.jpeg
Man, that passenger front looks stuffed! Were you discoed?

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So if I did go with a reinforcement product, what is the consensus on the best one? If I opt for the Mopar, do I absolutely need the larger tire adapter to run a 35 or is that for 37s and higher?

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Man, that passenger front looks stuffed! Were you discoed?
Yes..... since I did the sway kill with the tazer, I can stay disconnected no matter how fast I go, so we run disconnected most of the time we’re out there.

Last edited:

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Yes..... since I did the sway kill with the tazer, I can stay disconnected no matter how fast I go, so we run disconnected most of the time we’re out there.

The electronic disco is a pain in the ass when you’re just running trails because when you get over 20 mph it re connects.....:facepalm:....So I tazered it’s ass ..:devil: lol. I know I could pack a couple wrenches and disconnect the old fashioned way, but I like being able to do it on the fly.

I remapped the button to my resume button on the steering wheel so I can connect and disconnect using it. When I use the cruise the button works with cruise control like normal.....:)

I can’t say enough good things about the tazer mini. Definitely one of my best mods for sure....:rock:
Should I manually disco at Citrus WMA?

Sponsored

Adamoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon (2.0T w/ eTorque)
I'm a long-time JK owner who is planning a Diesel JL purchase. I'm also a firm believer in the need for additional support on any spare 35" or higher. Ideally, I want a AEV frame-mounted carrier that works with the OEM steel rear bumper, but that has been promised for a long time. [basically the setup in my avatar]

Are their any good solutions on the horizon? I am not very price-sensitive for a well-engineered quality product.
I was wondering if there were any OEM Steel Bumper tire carriers out there or on the horizon. For now I will be using Mopar reinforcement kit.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I was wondering if there were any OEM Steel Bumper tire carriers out there or on the horizon. For now I will be using Mopar reinforcement kit.
AEV claims that their JL version of the tire carrier is in the works.

Memcdowe

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon 2.0
Smittybilt has one out. I have the same model on my JKU and it has been fantastic. Very adjustable and solid. No rattles. The JLU one looks even nicer and has a CB Antennae Mount location. It’s what I’ll be putting on mine.

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I had the Mopar reinforcement until the hinge replacement kits started coming out. I'm happy with my Ace: https://aceengineeringandfab.com/collections/jl-products/products/jl-stand-alone-tire-carrier

You then use whatever bumper you like.

For the Mopar reinforcement, I hung my 35" off of it, but my backup sensors triggered on the tire unless I had a riser. I doubt you could fit larger than a 35" without a riser of some sort, regardless of whether or not you have backup sensors.
Sponsored