Sponsored

Tire Carrier for 37inch tire

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Serious question. Who has had sagging issues? I haven't heard of any. A bunch of posts back you stated that it could be years before one notices issues, which I could agree with. I guess I'm not on here enough to have read about them.

Speaking of physics and failures, how far could a closed tailgate sag to cause a failure? IDK, i'm thinking Mopar has better engineers than us randos on a forum. Especially considering that warranty work may be involved.
I’ve read a few people on here have had issues. Honestly couldn’t even tell you which thread. The stress comes when the gate is open at the mounting point. 100+ pounds on the factory mounting point ain’t gonna cut it over time. The whole point is that for the price there are better options and ultimately moving the mount to the bumper is the best option.
Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I'm late to this thread, but three points:
  • I think that keeping the spare tight against the rubber bumpers is the most important factor when using a tailgate reinforcement. The TeraFlex Ultra HD is the most sophisticated carrier on the market, but it's expensive. I haven't seen a tire carrier that is better at snugging up against the rubber bumpers.
  • I'm a long term JK owner (four in twelve years). In the JK world I can't recall a single hinge failure. Many don't like the Mopar reinforcement kit because it doesn't reinforce the hinges themselves. Doesn't matter. The tailgate rivets will fail WAY before the hinges. That said, The JL tailgate is substantially stronger than the JK's.
  • A frame-mounted spare carrier (see my avatar) is the absolute strongest solution; even more than bumper-mounted solutions. Unfortunately, no one makes a frame-mounted carrier for the JL yet.

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Here is a review of a 37 with a stock carrier.

With regards to the hinges, Rusty's system replaces the factory hinges. Rusty's hinges bolt to the Jeep and Rusty's also supply a hinge reinforcement bracket to beef up the mounting point.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Here is a review of a 37 with a stock carrier.

With regards to the hinges, Rusty's system replaces the factory hinges. Rusty's hinges bolt to the Jeep and Rusty's also supply a hinge reinforcement bracket to beef up the mounting point.
LOL, that’s not much of a review. Let me guess, you bought the Rusty’s mount?

thestein13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Unlimited Rubicon
No I get that, but the reality is nobody has had a JL long enough for metal fatigue to become a factor. It’s 3-5 years down the line when nothing lines up anymore and you struggle to close your tailgate that people will realize it’s an issue. It’s really pretty simple physics. My issue with the Mopar product is it’s stupid expensive and really does nothing except give people a false sense of security.
You say you get that it helps with the twisting from the additional weight, but then say it does nothing but provide a false sense of security?

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You are more likely to spot Bigfoot than broken a hinge on a JK or (especially) a JL.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
You say you get that it helps with the twisting from the additional weight, but then say it does nothing but provide a false sense of security?
The problem is and always will be where the factory hinges mount to the tub/frame. The fatigue will comes from opening and closing. Give it time.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Who said anything about breaking a hinge?
Well...you did, for starters, but it's a common misconception that been mentioned several times in this thread, and hundreds of times in this forum. I have yet to hear about a SINGLE instance in the 13 years that I've been following the Wrangler forums. Countless broken rivets, but no hinges. I have, however, seen Bigfoot pictures during the same time period. :)

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Well...you did, for starters, but it's a common misconception that been mentioned several times in this thread, and hundreds of times in this forum. I have yet to hear about a SINGLE instance in the 13 years that I've been following the Wrangler forums. Countless broken rivets, but no hinges. I have, however, seen Bigfoot pictures during the same time period. :)
I never said anything about broken hinges, but whatever. Plenty of people with sagging tailgates from 33 and 35” tires on JKs. It’s just a matter of time before the same starts happening to JLs, especially with how common 37” and up are on the new model.

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation