Tire Carrier for 37inch tire

Call911man

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Hey guys im new to the forum and the whole Jeep community. I am replacing the stock tires and wheels from my 2018-4 door JL Rubicon with 37 inch tires on 17X9 Fuel wheels. What do you guys recommend for the tire carrier? Thank you for your time.
I went with the Rusty's Off Road Carrier. it replaces the factory hinges, adds additional bolts, includes a cable to limit the opening to 90 degrees, accommodates the camera in a secure manner and allows several tire height adjustments to allow you to determine departure angle and rear view compromise. Also includes an antenna mount and option to add hilift mount. The license plate bracket is an option, at $75 is a little steep, you also will have to wire a tag light. I agree that the bumper mount is likely the strongest but consider the need to always open the tire before the tailgate and beware of solutions that depend on a latch to the body. The body and bumper should move independently, tying them together could be an issue for you. The JT bed is hard mounted and does not share the concern with the JL. Last, many tire carrier options reduce departure angle.

Good luck
Sponsored

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
let us know if you have any questions about our carrier.
if you decide to go with a fabricated steel unit, ours is a great option as well.

https://www.cavfab.com/CavFab-JL-JLU-Elite-Series-Body-Mounted-Tire-Carrier_p_306.html

thanks,
CavFab
For what it's worth, I'm in the market now and I'd be 100% sold on your carrier if I didn't have to chase down my own powder coating / finishing. Just seems a clunky step in what should be a straightforward upgrade. The product itself looks awesome and I've heard good things about both yours and Rusty's product.

72Blazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72BlazerCrawler 72Blazer12V 88SBDuramax 18JLUR
Occupation
SLP
For what it's worth, I'm in the market now and I'd be 100% sold on your carrier if I didn't have to chase down my own powder coating / finishing. Just seems a clunky step in what should be a straightforward upgrade. The product itself looks awesome and I've heard good things about both yours and Rusty's product.
I can agree. But I have personally received powder coated items from other companies with damage. Kind of a damn if you damn if you don’t situation. I went the Bromance route and used the Raptor Liner. Pretty straightforward and seems to be holding up well for the most part.

G.D.S. 4x4

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Hardrock 2dr '19 JL Rubi
Occupation
Old Jeeper not gonna say how long!
I'm running a Rugged Ridge hinge w/Teraflex adjustable carrier. It supports Dick Cepek Extreme Country 37x12.50r17 on Weld Ledge 17 x 9 beadlock @ 4.5 b/s very nicely. The tire assembly can be adjusted to pinch the tailgate hinge ....No rattles! Teraflex mount is in the top holes for departure clearance. The gate swings about 100 degrees...just enough to open the glass with the 37 x 1250 tire.

IMG_20200817_180100542.jpg

IMG_20200817_180114738_HDR.jpg

Sponsored

blkhawk_jl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
I went with the Smittybilt HD tire carrier. I liked that it was not a reinforcement bracket, but replaced the hinges and bolts to the frame. You can also get a hi lift jack mount for it. The mount is also very adjustable and you can move your wheel around based on its size and desired position. It even has a fastback position.

Jeep Wrangler JL Tire Carrier for 37inch tire Door stop JL
I just bought this and installed it. Tire shakes a lot when closing the tailgate and when driving on bumpy roads you can see the tire wiggling slightly from side to side. How do you find yours, any shake at all? The lug plate also requires you to reuse the oe bolts and they stick out so the tire isn't mounted on the carrier flush.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I went with the Rusty's Off Road Carrier. it replaces the factory hinges, adds additional bolts, includes a cable to limit the opening to 90 degrees, accommodates the camera in a secure manner and allows several tire height adjustments to allow you to determine departure angle and rear view compromise. Also includes an antenna mount and option to add hilift mount. The license plate bracket is an option, at $75 is a little steep, you also will have to wire a tag light. I agree that the bumper mount is likely the strongest but consider the need to always open the tire before the tailgate and beware of solutions that depend on a latch to the body. The body and bumper should move independently, tying them together could be an issue for you. The JT bed is hard mounted and does not share the concern with the JL. Last, many tire carrier options reduce departure angle.

Good luck
Again, the good bumper mounted carriers swing with the tailgate and do not have a solid connection with the body.

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
I just bought this and installed it. Tire shakes a lot when closing the tailgate and when driving on bumpy roads you can see the tire wiggling slightly from side to side. How do you find yours, any shake at all? The lug plate also requires you to reuse the oe bolts and they stick out so the tire isn't mounted on the carrier flush.
It does rattle a little when I close it, but it did that with the OE setup as well so I didn’t give it much thought. I don’t have the other issues.

OP
OP
jreynaud

jreynaud

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon
Jeep Wrangler JL Tire Carrier for 37inch tire IMG_2770

I went with the Smittybilt HD Pivot Tire Carrier. The fact that its attached at the hinges was the deciding factor. Cant wait for my tires and wheels to come in. Ill keep you guys posted on the transformation of my jeep. Thank you to everyone for being so helpful and welcoming into this community.

Sponsored

72Blazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72BlazerCrawler 72Blazer12V 88SBDuramax 18JLUR
Occupation
SLP
I initially went with the Shittybilt but had problems with the parts and customer service. I have yet to say anything good about that company. Hope you have better luck than me. Others have so you should be good.

Where you wheeling out of?

OversandJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2017 JKU Sahara, 2014 JKU Sport S, 2007 JKU Sport, 1997 TJ,
I came across the Warn Elite rear carrier, anyone have any info on it? Seems like I may go this route if AEV doesn’t release the bumper/carrier in the next few months.

421D6CF5-DD87-4572-B93A-433B93F4EC90.png

704848C6-1168-4460-A907-11BED6E1551B.png
I just installed the Warn rear bumper but already had the Rugged Ridge tailgate reinforcement installed and its working well. I bought it future proof with the bumper being swingout ready.

Jeep Wrangler JL Tire Carrier for 37inch tire 20200806_195656

BCalvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys JLU, 1996 Porsche 993, 2007 Hummer H3
But what about the hinges?
I don't think the hinges are a weak point. If you test your door you will see the flex in that area being the mounting flange on the body after the flex in the door has been removed. Those stock hinges are way over built in my opinion.

Jeep Generation

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 JK Willys, 1999 TJ Sport, 1966 CJ5-A
LiteBrite, with the Stepchild Jeep. They're members here but i forget the user ID. IF you've been keeping up they're running a Motobilt carrier now that they have 40's and KMC Machetes. In the last vid @ SMORR Kevin hits the front bumper on a ledge, basically "Bunny hops" the Jeep. He was probably at 3-4k RPM's with some momentum and when he made impact with the ledge the entire Jeep shook... including the tailgate, with the spare and Rotopax's. I've seen this Jeep in person, Kevin showed me how well the Motobilt carrier opens/ closes/ swings out- there's zero flex, rattling, etc, but it's the kind of impacts on a trail that I saw in that video that I'm worried about and why it's had me thinking about this again...

I had this happen on one of my TJ's because I was a lazy idiot college kid at the time. I had a swing out, didn't want to bolt it on before going wheeling. 3-4 trail rides later and my gate was warped. Now granted, those hinges were way weaker, but the point still stands. Also a swing out would have saved my OG tailgate from getting horribly mangled when I backed into a tree, but I digress.

This is @Jeep Generation. Perhaps he can weigh in?

I've been debating this with a few of my buddies after watching the Bunny hop in the LIteBrite vid mentioned above. My buddy installed a few and says they're fine. Swingouts are only on a 1/4" spindle anyway. I'm not keen on the idea of having your tire carrier on your tailgate (even in stock configuration) with the way I watch that tailgate shudder when I close it. Now, granted: I won't be going as hard with this Jeep as Kevin and Brittany do with the Stepchild, but $h!t always happens: what If you slid into a tree, if you drag your spare coming off a ledge, or climbing a ledge. Yes, a bumper mounted carrier has a breaking point as well- but I'd rather have that swing out break off and have to replace that, than have my tailgate get all jacked up as well, possibly allowing rain/ snow/ ice into the Jeep until I can get it fixed.

That said, I also don't have $2k to spend on a bumper. I get the cost of materials and labor and I'll definitely pay more for something made in the USA, but the cost is getting pretty prohibitive. Still weighing out the option, but so far I like what I've seen from Poison Spyder, Warn, and even some of the cheaper ones. I'm going to have to revisit the Aftermarket Bumper list
I don't have the Mopar bracket anymore. I landed on my spare during Steel Bender in Moab and bent my tailgate and have a dent it in. I been running the Poison Spyder Crawler bumper and Tire Carrier now. Its held up good so far. The tailgate tire carrier will bend the tailgate if you drop off of a ledge and land on your spare. Keeping the spare aired down helps with the impact.
Sponsored