jreynaud

jreynaud

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon
I did the Mopar reinforcement and Teraflex re-locator. I really like the way they both work together.

Here is a photo with a 35" for now but it adjusts for your size.
(looks funny as it was the first thing I did before lift/wheels/tires.)

I had bumper mounted on another Jeep and hated having two gates to open and it swinging around. This is the way to go in my opinion.

DSCF2307.JPG
Looks amazing
Sponsored

Fonzilla85

First Name
Fonz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Lawman
I came across the Warn Elite rear carrier, anyone have any info on it? Seems like I may go this route if AEV doesn’t release the bumper/carrier in the next few months.

421D6CF5-DD87-4572-B93A-433B93F4EC90.png

704848C6-1168-4460-A907-11BED6E1551B.png

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I did the Mopar reinforcement and Teraflex re-locator. I really like the way they both work together.

Here is a photo with a 35" for now but it adjusts for your size.
(looks funny as it was the first thing I did before lift/wheels/tires.)

I had bumper mounted on another Jeep and hated having two gates to open and it swinging around. This is the way to go in my opinion.

Jeep Wrangler JL Tire Carrier for 37inch tire 704848C6-1168-4460-A907-11BED6E1551B
The quality bumper mounted carriers swing together with your tailgate. I have the LOD and it is fantastic. The Mopar Kit doesn’t even strengthen anything.

HuckleMonster

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 392, 2023 TRX
I have the Mopar kit and it works just fine. It came with my Jeep, not sure I would have ordered it but I'm happy with it. People saying the Mopar kit is inadequate, aren't providing any real world examples of why. Yea, strap a beadlocked 37 on it and bomb down a desert trail loaded with Whoops and it may sag. So will other options, I'm guessing.

I think the,...... shit, Kevin and Brit you tube guys (forgot the channel name) had a 38 on a beadlock on the stock tailgate with no aftermarket kit on it and they showed no (or minimal) sag on the gate.

I'm currently looking to ditch the spare. Getting a 37" tire on the carrier is no small chore, especially after a trail repair. May be easier to just trust the plug kit and power tank and hope a sidewall doesn't get ripped. IDK, your mileage will vary.

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
It strengthens the tailgate, which the tire is mounted to. I'm just guessing that's why they call it a "Tailgate Reinforcement Kit"
It doesn’t though, it just moves the weight completely to the hinges, which I guess is better but that much cantilevered weight is gonna be a problem over time. Especially on the stock hinges/tub mount.

HuckleMonster

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 392, 2023 TRX
It doesn’t though, it just moves the weight completely to the hinges, which I guess is better but that much cantilevered weight is gonna be a problem over time. Especially on the stock hinges/tub mount.
IDK, I'm no engineer, but my guess it would reduce twisting of the tailgate with the added weight. LIke I said. that Youtube couple had a big ass tire/wheel on their stock gate and had zero probs.

no skin in this so I'm not trying to argue. Just throwing out thoughts. Have fun with whatever set up you've got.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
IDK, I'm no engineer, but my guess it would reduce twisting of the tailgate with the added weight. LIke I said. that Youtube couple had a big ass tire/wheel on their stock gate and had zero probs.

no skin in this so I'm not trying to argue. Just throwing out thoughts. Have fun with whatever set up you've got.
No I get that, but the reality is nobody has had a JL long enough for metal fatigue to become a factor. It’s 3-5 years down the line when nothing lines up anymore and you struggle to close your tailgate that people will realize it’s an issue. It’s really pretty simple physics. My issue with the Mopar product is it’s stupid expensive and really does nothing except give people a false sense of security.

Ingrum

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sport; 2018 Jaguar F Pace
I really like the look of the Metalcloak carrier. I have their lift and it's completely solid. Great reputation in the industry.

I looked at this a while back and narrowed it to Rusty's and CavFab, but was waiting on some type of sale from Rusty's to pull the trigger.

This may be my new target product.

I changed my third brake light 2 weeks ago and was surprised by the weight of my 35s, so I moved this project up the list.

Sponsored

HuckleMonster

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 392, 2023 TRX
No I get that, but the reality is nobody has had a JL long enough for metal fatigue to become a factor. It’s 3-5 years down the line when nothing lines up anymore and you struggle to close your tailgate that people will realize it’s an issue. It’s really pretty simple physics. My issue with the Mopar product is it’s stupid expensive and really does nothing except give people a false sense of security.
Agreed. Especially that last sentence. Welcome to the world of aftermarket parts. I just spent $300 on a skid plate for my tow hitch.

BCalvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys JLU, 1996 Porsche 993, 2007 Hummer H3
The Mopar Kit doesn’t even strengthen anything.
I have read people repeating that on this forum and it's some type of social phenomenon.
It absolutely stiffens the rear door and takes out the flexing.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
While I don’t own it, I have heard good things about the LOD bumper mounted carrier.
I heard the same and looked into theirs. Some of the initial owners reported premature issues with rust after going thru a single winter season.

The corrosion wasn’t limited to only this vendor, there were a few others as well. Of course the vendors offered to have the unit returned to them so that they could fix the issue and while that was fine and dandy, it doesn’t negate the fact that it was still an issue. And was something that was going to take weeks to send out and get back in.

Sometimes posters frown on Mopar products but after having their gear, their stuff is no where near as bad as posters made them seem. I also have some metal cloak body armor and have been impressed with their quality.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Here's my 2 cents on the tailgate reinforcement carriers, which the Metalcloak Sportgate is one of:

The stock carrier is bolted to just the tailgate panel. The Metalcloak, Mopar, etc. not only use the tailgate panel, but also tie the carrier into the hinges. By this distribution of weight and force, it naturally is stronger than the factory tire carrier. I feel very comfortable with my 37" spare on the Metalcloak carrier/tailgate reinforcement due to this. The JL hinges are not the same as the weak JK hinges. With the tailgate being closed 99.99% of the time, the hinges aren't bearing the full weight of the spare and anything else you have attached to the tailgate. I can see it being an issue if you drove around with your tailgate opened all the time, but who'd do that??

What I've seen from some carriers (and how some are mounting their spare), is the spare isn't pressed against the spare tire bumpers, whether the stock ones or longer/modified ones. By not having the spare against and compressing these bumpers, the spare will shake, rattle, and move, which can/will fatigue whatever tire carrier installed and the tailgate/hinges itself. It is very important to have the spare tightly against the bumpers.

Yes, rear bumper mounted tire carriers are the best, but also the most expensive solution. If I were to move to 38-40" tires with heavy beadlocks, I'd then think of going this route, but would still be comfortable with my Metalcloak carrier. The longest part of my install was adjusting the back/forth of the wheel mounting flange to ensure the tire was compressing the bumpers.
Sponsored