Sponsored

Tire Carrier for 37inch tire

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
@word302 Why don't you stop laughing at my posts and join the conversation.
Because you don’t seem to listen to reason. You seem to have what I like to call “buyer’s blinders” on. It’s very difficult for people to see the inadequacies in something that they have purchased. I have some Ace sliders that I definitely wouldn’t recommend. Not necessarily for function but the welds look like they were done by a 2nd grader.

BCalvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys JLU, 1996 Porsche 993, 2007 Hummer H3
Because you don’t seem to listen to reason. You seem to have what I like to call “buyer’s blinders” on. It’s very difficult for people to see the inadequacies in something that they have purchased. I have some Ace sliders that I definitely wouldn’t recommend. Not necessarily for function but the welds look like they were done by a 2nd grader.
So you feel im being unreasonable thinking that the issue is the flexing in the rear door and not the hinges sheering off?

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
So you feel im being unreasonable thinking that the issue is the flexing in the rear door and not the hinges sheering off?
Nobody said anything about the hinges sheering off. The mounting hinges point will be the weak link over time. Sure they’re stronger than the JK, but we’re also seeing bigger and heavier tires as the norm on the JL. 37s are the new 33s and people are even going 38 to 40 with not much lift. Cantilevered weight is not your friend over time. Yes the gate is mostly closed but every time you open it you are putting s as lot of stress on it. I don’t trust them in the long run. I certainly don’t trust the stock hinges out the Mopar reinforced gate for a major drop impact. People have already reported sagging without any impacts from 37s.

BCalvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Over doing it is a weight and size penalty for a benefit in strength that will not be realized.
I see no reason to add another 70 pounds to the rear bumper for a 37" tire.

This is my 5th Jeep and i'm going light and tight.

If you see a spare tire with a tail gate bolted to it on the trail, hit me up.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
No one has said that the panel is fine, but the hinges are the only culprit. I've said in other related threads what word302 just said above, that 37-40" tires are the new norm. It's good insurance to beef up both the panel and the hinges. Also for very similar money spent on Mopars reinforcement, one can get a high quality aftermarket version that includes hinges and a carrier. It's a no-brainer. Way more bang for the buck. What's to argue?

skrubi12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Also, of note on the Rusty’s Hinge/carrier... it replaces the hinges and ties the new heavier duty hinges together as well as ties into the tailgate near the passenger side to help with panel flex. Not saying it’s the best out there but it works for me and is definitely solid with a 37” trail grappler on method 701 wheel (I think around 100lbs give or take a few). Just wanted to provide some more detail.

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Another cool thing about the Rusty's TC and 37's is tire is mounted on a relatively low high for DD. If needed, on a trail, the tire can be raised so that it sits higher that reduces the chance the spare tire will hit a rock when coming off a drop. Of course deflating the spare tire when wheeling is a good idea if there is a chance the spare tire will take a hit .

BCalvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No one has said that the panel is fine, but the hinges are the only culprit. I've said in other related threads what word302 just said above, that 37-40" tires are the new norm. It's good insurance to beef up both the panel and the hinges. Also for very similar money spent on Mopars reinforcement, one can get a high quality aftermarket version that includes hinges and a carrier. It's a no-brainer. Way more bang for the buck. What's to argue?
I'm not arguing anything other than the statement that the mopar and similarly designed reinforcements do nothing.

I think the stock hinges are stronger than the panel behind the taillight they are bolted to.

Op was asking about a 37" tire.

Bigger than that I would do something else.

I don't claim to know the facts and i'm open to being wrong. But have there been hinge failures with 37" tires?

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I'm not arguing anything other than the statement that the mopar and similarly designed reinforcements do nothing.

I think the stock hinges are stronger than the panel behind the taillight they are bolted to.

Op was asking about a 37" tire.

Bigger than that I would do something else.

I don't claim to know the facts and i'm open to being wrong. But have there been hinge failures with 37" tires?
There’s already people with sagging issues. The failures will come later, give it time. Physics always wins in the end.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
It’s very difficult for people to see the inadequacies in something that they have purchased.
Sometimes it can be.

I doubt this is meant to be malicious but when people are asked to make a product recommendation, they usually recommend what they have. To be transparent, 37” on the tailgate is the most tire that I would ever place on mopar tailgate reinforcement bracket.

There are stronger and better alternatives out there for that size and larger. Word. Pun intended.

BCalvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just went through it. I measured the deflection with a stock wheel, no wheel and a 35".
With no spare on the alignment was high and with the 35" it was low by about 2mm.

After adjustment it's perfect and opens/closes butter smooth.

My guess is most of the sag or deflection is in the interior panel the hinges mount to rather than the hinges themselves.

Time will tell, but I like this set up so far and haven't seen any fact based data on it failing with tires under 37". If it starts to sag or there are issues i'll be sure to post about it. It's new and I have only had it on two trails so far.

I'm not emotionally attached to my decision for using it.
It's just a tire carier, not my bride. If it's shit, i'll say it.

Jeep Wrangler JL Tire Carrier for 37inch tire DSCF2303.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Tire Carrier for 37inch tire GUAI0785.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Tire Carrier for 37inch tire latch.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Tire Carrier for 37inch tire DSCF2420.JPG

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Sometimes it can be.

I doubt this is meant to be malicious but when people are asked to make a product recommendation, they usually recommend what they have. To be transparent, 37” on the tailgate is the most tire that I would ever place on mopar tailgate reinforcement bracket.

There are stronger and better alternatives out there for that size and larger. Word. Pun intended.
No I totally get it and that’s the problem with asking opinions on forums, you have very few people with experience with more than 1 product so everyone just recommends what they bought. Unfortunately it looks like the op bought from one of the handful of manufacturers that I would actually steer people away from. Soon he’ll be in here recommending the shittybuilt as the best thing out there.

HuckleMonster

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 392, 2023 TRX
There’s already people with sagging issues. The failures will come later, give it time. Physics always wins in the end.

Serious question. Who has had sagging issues? I haven't heard of any. A bunch of posts back you stated that it could be years before one notices issues, which I could agree with. I guess I'm not on here enough to have read about them.

Speaking of physics and failures, how far could a closed tailgate sag to cause a failure? IDK, i'm thinking Mopar has better engineers than us randos on a forum. Especially considering that warranty work may be involved.
Sponsored