Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
So, I'm looking at swing out tire carriers. the 2 options I'm looking at right now:
1). Deegan 38 Bumper with Tire Carrier
Pros:
- Swingout design
- value: It's a pretty complete kit for the price (Includes plate mount, wiring, etc.)
- Keeps stock Camera location
Cons:
- probably made in china
- doesn't wrap the JL Tub
- isn't available in bare steel

2). JCR Adventure Tire Carrier + JCR Vanguard Full Width Rear Bumper
Pros:
- American made
- design of carrier and coverage
- seems to be heavier duty
- Bumper wraps the JL Tub
- seems to hold the spare higher
- Better plate mount/ 3rd brake light (partial to the plate in the middle of the spare look)
- Available in bare steel
- retains factory hitch
Cons:
- Price
- Does not retain the OEM Camera location (without modification- which I'm planning on)
- 60 day lead time (from JCR, better pricing than other sellers)
- separate kit pieces

I understand you get what you pay for, and the obvious value of American made vs. imported. If money was no object, I'd already have ordered the JCR. But I'm also on a budget- trying to swing suspension, tires, wheels this year. This is the first stage though, because my main concern is getting the weight of the spare off the tailgate. I'm basically trying to entertain all options and save a little money where I can.

Before anyone asks:
NO, I'M NOT INTERESTED IN HINGE BASED TIRE CARRIERS
NO, I'M NOT INTERESTED IN THE "SINGLE ACTION" TIRE CARRIERS WITHOUT A LATCH.

REASON:

I live and wheel on the east coast. When I inevitably slide/ back into a tree- the impact is ultimately going to be transferred to the tailgate/ tub. I realize the swing out could still get bent/ warped depending on the impact, but at least it isn't taking out the rear door; and if it does- i have way bigger problems to worry about.

Thoughts?

Bonus points if you've had experiences with either of these.
Sponsored

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Regardless of what carrier you chose, one recommendation is to air down your rear tire when wheeling. In theory, having only a pound or two of air in the rear tire helps to prevent damage to the sheet metal of your JL.

OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Regardless of what carrier you chose, one recommendation is to air down your rear tire when wheeling. In theory, having only a pound or two of air in the rear tire helps to prevent damage to the sheet metal of your JL.
I've heard that before. My concern isn't the usual "My spare might catch on a ledge," etc- it's literally "My dumb ass will back directly into/ slide directly into a tree, smash the carrier and the tailgate and the tub and the rear glass" if I don't have a swingout. It's happened with both my old TJ's and the only thing saving me from disaster on my 04 Rubi a few times was the swing out. I went through 3 lift gate glasses, and a tailgate on my 98TJ. Ah, to be young and incredibly stupid/ wild lol.

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
@RubiSc0tt
You bring up some good points.
In days past, I am sure that some of us here have use the philosophy of just use the skinny peddle and send it.

Just an idea floating in my brain:
On the front of the JLR, an Artec bumper w/stinger has been installed
Considered making something similar to for the rear but in reverse fashion.
The shape of the rear stinger would be in V and made out of Aluminum.
The rear stinger would mount into the trailer hitch.
Normally, on the trail, it would not be needed.
However, when going off a ledge, install the rear stinger.

Some folks how have said these are not recommended, but I have seen were a rear stinger may be helpful on the trail.

Jeep Wrangler JL Tire Carrier feedback: JCR vs. Deegan IMG_3261.JPG

Looking back at that ledge, a couple of things.

1. Lucky, only scraped the rear shackle.​
2. The Rusty's tire carrier allows me to move the tire higher up. Should have done that.​
3. A rear stinger could have been used as a skid.​

Just trying to promote some discussions to avoid some of the damaged you have mentioned.

OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
on my old TJ Rubi, I wanted one of these:
Poison Spyder Rear Stinger/ Tire carrier.
Until i realized a few things:
1). it's a daily driver, and I used the tailgate enough that if someone parked too close behind me, it would create a giant pain in the ass (moving forward, dropping the stinger, etc.
2). The strap they use would rust and corrode. Because I live in the rust belt.
3). I was only on 33's and would likely need larger tires to justify one of these, as it would end up impeding my departure angle with such small tires/ low lift.
4). Would still transfer most of the impact directly to the tub.
However, this may be of value to you.

For me, if my Jeep was anything more than 50% trail use, I would probably just go for it, but since it's mostly daily driving and family hauling, plus the 1 weekend a month I'm able to get out on average with work/etc, the same issues will persist.

Both carriers I posted allow you to adjust the spare height, but based on pictures, the JCR one seems to have a higher setting.
Sponsored