Sponsored

Tire carrier: bumper mount vs hinge replacement?

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I'm pretty sure my next mod is to replace my stock tire carrier. At first, I didn't see the point of the tailgate hinge replacement tire carriers (Ace, Evo, Motobilt, etc) until I watched a few install videos to see they really are quite solid. My plan had been to go with a bumper mount tire carrier as I intend to replace my bumper as well, but the Ace hinge replacement is impressive.

All of this leaves me in a quandary that I wanted to ask you all about: which did you choose (bumper mounted or hinge replacement) and why?
Sponsored

clobato

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR 392
I went with the Ace stand alone carrier, and I’ve been real happy with it. For me, price was the deciding factor. On Black Friday, Ace offered a package for the front bumper, sliders, back bumper, tire carrier and light bars for $1700. That’s basically the same price as the LOD rear bumper and carrier.

The Ace carrier is pretty solid, and should meet all my needs! I think a benefit to the hinge style carriers is that they open up your options for bumpers. If you stick to the bumper mount style, there are fewer bumper options.

Stickerhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1997 TJ on 37’s, 2017 Powerstoke Tow Pig
Vehicle Showcase
My Warn Elite just came in. I have not had time to install it. Had one on my JK and loved it

OP
OP
mikej

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I went with the Ace stand alone carrier, and I’ve been real happy with it. For me, price was the deciding factor. On Black Friday, Ace offered a package for the front bumper, sliders, back bumper, tire carrier and light bars for $1700. That’s basically the same price as the LOD rear bumper and carrier.

The Ace carrier is pretty solid, and should meet all my needs! I think a benefit to the hinge style carriers is that they open up your options for bumpers. If you stick to the bumper mount style, there are fewer bumper options.
It’s a good point that it gives more bumper options. I suppose I’m a little worried that the hinge replacement options aren’t as strong.

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
Any body have pics with the tail gate ace carrier with high lift and rotorpax cans mounted?

Sponsored

Seanst34

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3018 Jeep JLUR 2.0 L 4 Cylinder Turbo on 37s with 2” Mopar Lift, Inginity QX60, and BMW R Nine T Scrambler
Vehicle Showcase
I prefer a hinge reinforcement type kit. Many of the bumper mount options I’ve seen sag over time. Additionally I had a vehicle that had a two step process with the tailgate and tire carrier years ago. It was a pain in the a__. I had a Smittybilt Pivot HD Hinge Kit on my JK for years and couldn’t have been happier. I just ordered the Rugged Ridge Spartus Hinge Kit for the JL to support the 37” wheels I installed last week.

D567B21A-CACE-4F13-8746-F632E459D6C6.jpeg

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR MetalCloak 2.5F/3.5R, LoD Bumper/Carrier.

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I want the spare tire and whatever else weight on the bumper attached to the frame. As soon as a aluminum unit comes on the market I will probably get it. A 150/200lb steel bumper/swing away spare combo is a no go. Add wheel and tire and accessories( fuel cans/Hi-lift) and you just put 300/350 lbs. on the tail. That is 1/3 of the Wranglers 1,000 lb. load capacity. If I can shave 1/3 of that weight, I will wait. How important is weight watching on a Wrangler. Read about the performance gains of a light weight FCA concept Stitch.... It is pretty much stock mechanically. https://www.google.com/search?sourc......0..0i131j0j0i10j0i22i30j33i299.-BfpzpYL3vA
Understand your point. There are a few aluminum bumpers on the market, but good luck with a tire carrier :fingerscrossed:

The LoD full-width bumper and tire carrier weighs 146 lbs, the shorty version 136. All the other items you mention (jack tire, gas cans etc) will add weight whether you have a steel bumper of not. So how much can you possible save using aluminum?
Additional considerations are
  1. Hitch, which will likely not be integrated into an aluminum bumper
  2. Protection on trails with demanding departure angles
But I would definitely agree that you want to upgrade your suspension before you add the weight. I went with the LoD full-width bumper+carrier and the Metalcloak 2.5" lift with dual rate springs. I just come back from an overland trip where I loaded the carrier with two 5 gallon Jerry cans and a hi-lift jack, recovery gear, fridge, and other supplies in the trunk. We drove everything from 80 mph interstate to Teapot Canyon Trail in the Maze (rated as "very technical") and I can't say I had any handling issues at all.

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I bought the Ace stand alone Tire Carrier and an Ace rear bumper. The fit and finish is great. I was looking at bumper with rear tire carrier. Ace also has a bumper with a tire carrier. I drove up and toured the Ace manufacturer center. The employees were professional and their facility was very clean. After talking with them, I changed my mind and ordered the stand alone Tire Carrier instead of the bumper mounted tire carrier. I thought the install was easy. About an hour for the bumper and about four hours for the tire carrier. Most of that time was getting everything adjusted together and wiring the plate like and third brake light. I think I put the spare tire on and off about four times.
20190425_162658.jpg

FDXGUY

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
I bought the Ace stand alone Tire Carrier and an Ace rear bumper. The fit and finish is great. I was looking at bumper with rear tire carrier. Ace also has a bumper with a tire carrier. I drove up and toured the Ace manufacturer center. The employees were professional and their facility was very clean. After talking with them, I changed my mind and ordered the stand alone Tire Carrier instead of the bumper mounted tire carrier. I thought the install was easy. About an hour for the bumper and about four hours for the tire carrier. Most of that time was getting everything adjusted together and wiring the plate like and third brake light. I think I put the spare tire on and off about four times.
20190425_162658.jpg
I really like that setup. I’m kind of leaning towards the Ace set up, plus it be nice to support a shop from my home town area.

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh I don't know exactly, close to 1/4 ton ? Have you ever put yours on a scale?
Genright has a swing out tire carrier and bumper package that's aluminum and weighs 41 lbs total.
Saving 105 lbs. vs your steel. My Rock Hard Patriot aluminum front bumper and winch with synthetic line are just under 80 lbs. A steel bumper and steel cable winch are 100 lbs. more. Just those two items have a 200 lb. difference vs steel. I don't run a back seat in my JL that saves 80+lbs. Aluminum belly pan and sliders would save another 100 libs. or more. Now the savings is at least 380 lbs. If you spec aluminum on all your armor and limit all the weight you carry, nearly a 1/4 ton is possible.
My JLR has the same drivetrain as a JLUR, has no options and is at least 500 lbs. lighter than a JLUR typically optioned. If alum. vs steel shaves another 400/500 lbs. off my Wrangler's load , excellent. A 900 to 1,000 lbs. reduction in GVW is what, 20% of a JLUR loaded with steel. Less weight, less to haul up the hill, performance is better and durability is better.
Well again, I'm sympathetic in principal. The LJ80 was a light and very capable vehicle.
But you jumble up your arguments: the genright does not carry gas cans or the jack as far as I can see, so where would those go? On a steel roof-rack? Protection of the genright bumper is minimal, too, you might as well go without a rear bumper if weight is your premium. My front end is no heavier than yours, but of course, A JLUR is heavier than a JLR.

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Except, Imo your Wrangler is over weight. You are in denial and need to join a Wranglers Weight Watchers program near you. May the force be with you !
Yeah, you are right. I must finally come to terms with the fact that my JLUR has issues, and the weight is the least of it. It also has a gasoline addiction, suffers from elevated tire pressure, and - I hate to say it - there is a gender identity issue at play, too. Sounds like most Jeeps are girls? mine definitely is not :facepalm:.

Anyway as far as the goalpost goes, my requirements were a) ability to carry a 35"+ tire, 10 gallons of extra gas over rough terrain b) still be able to open my soft top when I have it on in summer c) easy access to open the tailgate, and d) more protection than the factory bumper provides. I would have considered an Aluminum solution, cost not being the issue, but frankly could not find one addressing my requirements.

Anyway, keep it light my friend ;)
Sponsored

Last edited: