Sponsored

Tire carrier brake light dilemma

lookitsadam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
@Firemadz
You can get it here. Do know that it needs some simple modification if you want to use it with the JL/jLU. You have to make the center hole bigger by cutting some with say a dremel.

Get it here:
https://www.amazon.com/Spare-Brake-Light-Wrangler-2007-2017/dp/B07BVT3RKF/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1529588505&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=light+ring,+wrangler&psc=1

For the record, I do not like the look on a Wrangler.. but to each his own. Alot of guys do like it.
Is this plug and play or do you need to cut the wires going to the factory third break light and splice these in?
Sponsored

W5MQS

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2020 Mercedes GLB 250; 2013 Red Ford F-150 4x4
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Interventional Cardiology
Is this plug and play or do you need to cut the wires going to the factory third break light and splice these in?
I think you'll need to splice it in to the existing wire harness for the third brake light. I don't believe it would be difficult as I think there are only 2 wires to contend with...a hot and a ground.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@lookitsadam
@Firemadz
You have to unplug the OEM 3rd brake light and splice in the light ring. A simple 2 wire splice into OEM wires. You'll also remove the plastic bracket that runs behind the tire that held the OEM third brake light.

I suggest you read the directions for the install of the Mopar 3rd Brake Light relocation kit before you do this install. Tells you what tools and how to proceed. You will do all but final attachment of the OEM relocator bracket.
https://www.allmoparparts.com/docs/82215349.pdf

Note, this is an easy install. Hardest part will be cutting the hole bigger but that in itself is pretty easy... Hey, be sure to make sure your splices are sealed up good as the ass end of the JL takes on alot of water back there.

Caveat: Do check your state rules in regard to what they accept in regard to a 3rd brake light on newer vehicles. It may have to be DOT approved and this light ring in not.

Last edited:

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
So I tried adjusting the rear brake light that can supposedly go up a few inches to accommodate a larger tire. However once you mount and tighten your tire the light crushes the rear window wiper and makes it unavoidable when you turn it on. Has anyone else experienced this?
If you’re running the OEM tire carrier with OEM rims with what, probably a 12.5” wide tire the answer is you don’t have enough offset on the run the set up that way. You’ll either need to add a wheel spacer on the tire carrier to push it out just enough to clear things (longer bump stops will be needed), however this may impede your view with the rear view camera. The other option would be the Mopar tire carrier with 3rd brake light relocation.

Zoobie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Does the Rugged Ridge LED brake light adapter work with a JL? Or did you have to cut and splice the wires?

Sponsored

IronCrossAutomotive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon/2018 JLU Sport
How does it attach? (How far beyond the wheel face does the rear face/light extend; just wondering as Mopar's appears to protrude quite a bit past the camera?)
Sorry for the delay, our Jeep was out of town so I couldn't get better pictures. Basically we have a lug that goes over the stud and then the 3rd Brake Light threads into that.
Jeep Wrangler JL Tire carrier brake light dilemma {filename} Jeep Wrangler JL Tire carrier brake light dilemma {filename} Jeep Wrangler JL Tire carrier brake light dilemma {filename} Jeep Wrangler JL Tire carrier brake light dilemma {filename}

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
I just ran into this dilemma today too. Mounted up some LT315/70-R17's on my Rubicon wheels, and the brake light is interfering with the rear wiper arm. Tailgate bumpers are pretty smashed too. No interference issues with the rear bumper though, so I guess that's a win?

Sponsored

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just ran into this dilemma today too. Mounted up some LT315/70-R17's on my Rubicon wheels, and the brake light is interfering with the rear wiper arm. Tailgate bumpers are pretty smashed too. No interference issues with the rear bumper though, so I guess that's a win?
You don't have a enough rim offset in your tire/rim combination, it needs to be pushed out further. The cheapest solutions would be either wheel spacer to mount to the tire carrier, then your spare tire to the wheel spacer or going with something like the Rough Country tire carrier relocation bracket ($80 I think on Amazon).

Either one of these solutions I would view as a temporary option until you upgrade to something like the complete Mopar reinforcement/tire carrier solution or whatever Teraflex comes out with eventually.

Speaking for myself, I am currently using the Rough Country relocation bracket with the factory tire carrier with a 37x12.5x17 Cooper STT Pro and Fuel Trophy wheels. For me this is a temporary solution until aftermarket comes up with a viable solution. I've had it installed for not quite two months and I'm starting to notice the gate rattle some when I hit big bumps. While this has worked so far and I've not had any issues with damage to the gate itself, I honestly don't feel comfortable with it and would recommend anyone running anything larger than stock tires to use something that reinforces the rear gate.

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Software & cloud services
Vehicle Showcase
You don't have a enough rim offset in your tire/rim combination, it needs to be pushed out further. The cheapest solutions would be either wheel spacer to mount to the tire carrier, then your spare tire to the wheel spacer or going with something like the Rough Country tire carrier relocation bracket ($80 I think on Amazon).

Either one of these solutions I would view as a temporary option until you upgrade to something like the complete Mopar reinforcement/tire carrier solution or whatever Teraflex comes out with eventually.

Speaking for myself, I am currently using the Rough Country relocation bracket with the factory tire carrier with a 37x12.5x17 Cooper STT Pro and Fuel Trophy wheels. For me this is a temporary solution until aftermarket comes up with a viable solution. I've had it installed for not quite two months and I'm starting to notice the gate rattle some when I hit big bumps. While this has worked so far and I've not had any issues with damage to the gate itself, I honestly don't feel comfortable with it and would recommend anyone running anything larger than stock tires to use something that reinforces the rear gate.

For the OP I was going to suggest this (which I am running) with or a wheel spacer. The Rough Country bracket does a great job pushing the tire out and up, helping to keep it out of the way off road. I did the MOPAR tailgate reinforcement bracket too, which is costly but cheaper than a new tailgate. It’s been a super solid combo off road and on.

Jeep Wrangler JL Tire carrier brake light dilemma {filename}

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Could you maybe trim a little off of the bumpers or maybe install some smaller ones to gain clearance? The bumpers may have the tire pushed out at the bottom. Just kinda thinking out loud here...

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Could you maybe trim a little off of the bumpers or maybe install some smaller ones to gain clearance? The bumpers may have the tire pushed out at the bottom. Just kinda thinking out loud here...
That doesn't really fix the problem of too big of a tire for the OEM set up, kinda like putting electrical tape over the TPMS warning light because you haven't adjusted the threshold or took the sensors out altogether. This one one things you kinda need to man up and start implementing real fixes.

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
@kkuntz01; I agree that it’s probably not the right way to fix it and OP probably needs relocation kit, but I didn’t read (could’ve just missed it by accident) where OP posted his wheel/tire combo. Therefore I can’t speak to whether or not it’s too large, so I don’t really know if the stock carrier is inadequate. I see no difference in my suggestion and people removing the bottom half of their rubicon fenders to gain more clearance...just because they need clearance doesn’t mean it’s time to purchase aftermarket fenders.
Sponsored