Tire carrier brake light dilemma

dirt2danasty

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Black
So I tried adjusting the rear brake light that can supposedly go up a few inches to accommodate a larger tire. However once you mount and tighten your tire the light crushes the rear window wiper and makes it unavoidable when you turn it on. Has anyone else experienced this?
Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I certainly don't believe that lack of response is a product of ill will but perhaps lack of people's experience with this problem or solution to it.

Just out of curiosity, did you, prior to putting the large spare on the back, apply any reinforcement products or kits to the tailgate?

I say this not only as it may be a good idea (of course I don't know how much you increased your tire size from stock) but that such products may distance themselves from the back (hardtop) window such that extending your rear brake light doesn't cause the same interference with the rear wiper blade.

I think I've also seen some JL aftermarket rear center/elevated brake light holders for people who increase their tire size on the internet.

I run stock tires and this is not an area in which I "cut my teeth."

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

FrankieFJL

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase
What size tire and size of wheel width and backspace? I don’t experience that with my 35 on a 8.5” wheel with 5’ BS. In fact it doesn’t even contact the rubber spacers.

ParthianShot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
What size tire and size of wheel width and backspace? I don’t experience that with my 35 on a 8.5” wheel with 5’ BS. In fact it doesn’t even contact the rubber spacers.
You should extend the bump stops so it doesn't wobble, which will cause increased wear and tear on the bracket.

Sponsored

W5MQS

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2020 Mercedes GLB 250; 2013 Red Ford F-150 4x4
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Interventional Cardiology
Get the brake-light ring from Rugged Ridge.

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
The light ring from Rugged Ridge is not Federally DOT certified...just so you know!

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
I do not have an answer to your issue.

I suggest you get the third brake light out of there, period. A big plus, is you will gain better rear viewing when driving if you just relocate it.

You can go with the Mopar relocation kit... shop around on eBAY and it can be had for about $60.00 shipped.

Read here:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/mopar-chmsl-relocation-kit-part-number-82215349.5491/

ll.JPG

p.s. Yes, I have the kit on my JL
Yup I have it and it will be a while till I install it lol. Right now serving as decoration.

29B1A789-4567-42AD-89CC-1C06D9F70400.jpeg

W5MQS

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2020 Mercedes GLB 250; 2013 Red Ford F-150 4x4
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
The light ring from Rugged Ridge is not Federally DOT certified...just so you know!
I'm ok with that since I just need to have a 3rd brake light somewhere on the back...it's bigger, brighter and as far as I'm concerned, safer than the smaller one that came with the Jeep.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm ok with that since I just need to have a 3rd brake light somewhere on the back...it's bigger, brighter and as far as I'm concerned, safer than the smaller one that came with the Jeep.
I hear ya but..... but what will the licensed state vehicle Inspection person in your State feel about that 3rd brake light? I know where I'm at, that 3rd brake light would undoubtedly not be acceptable. Yes, I could try to find a mod friendly inspector but now a days that can be very difficult.

Sponsored

W5MQS

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I hear ya but..... but what will the licensed state vehicle Inspection person in your State feel about that 3rd brake light? I know where I'm at, that 3rd brake light would undoubtedly not be acceptable. Yes, I could try to find a mod friendly inspector but now a days that can be very difficult.
I don't anticipate there being a problem with obtaining my inspection. I could be wrong but I don't think it matters here whether its a DOT approved light or not as long as there is a third brake light in the back. And if it does become an issue, I'll just take it back to the place that put it on since they are authorized to do state vehicle inspections...it would be just a tad inconvenient because they are about 60 miles from where I live as opposed to being able to go somewhere more local to my residence. Also...having a brand new vehicle in Texas means it doesn't have to be inspected for two years.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Very cool. Who makes it?
@Firemadz
You can get it here. Do know that it needs some simple modification if you want to use it with the JL/jLU. You have to make the center hole bigger by cutting some with say a dremel.

Get it here:
https://www.amazon.com/Spare-Brake-Light-Wrangler-2007-2017/dp/B07BVT3RKF/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1529588505&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=light+ring,+wrangler&psc=1

For the record, I do not like the look on a Wrangler.. but to each his own. Alot of guys do like it.
Sponsored