Tire and wheel Question

JeepRx

First Name
Taz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Sahara
Ok my new Sahara is in the shipping stage and I am preparing mods for arrival. I have a question about wheels and how much they will stick out past the fenders. I am looking at getting Fuel Assaults either 20x10 -18 offset or 20x9 -12 offset. I think the backspacing is 4.5. Will probably be putting 33 x 12.5 x 20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on them. How much should I expect each to stick out past the fender. Pictures would be an appreciated bonus!!
Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
20s are heavy and don't look right on Jeeps, plus you will only have load range E tires to choose from. Of the two I'd go with the 9" -12. Both will stick out, but the 9" -12 will only stick out a little.

PacNWJLGecko

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
20s are heavy and don't look right on Jeeps, plus you will only have load range E tires to choose from. Of the two I'd go with the 9" -12. Both will stick out, but the 9" -12 will only stick out a little.
17s will ride far plusher and you will have the ability to air them down for gravel roads/fire trails/the beach/etc

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I'd go no more than a zero offset, and if I was buying new wheels they would be in the + offset. a 17x9 +18 would be perfect, just under the fenders without sticking out.

I know some of you like that "poke" (silly word). But a guy running excessive "poke" on his JK passed me on the shoulder the other day, throwing all kinds of crap up. I was pissed to hear all of that junk hitting me. Guess he was in a real hurry.

Anyway, if his tires weren't sticking out so far, I wouldn't have got sprayed like that. Think about that next time one of you needs a windshield.

Last edited:

Sponsored

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
You should consider 17" or at most 18" wheels for your wrangler. Specially if you are going with only 33" tires. In fact for 33" tires, your best bang for the buck would be to buy some Rubicon takeoff wheels/tires with TPMS.

If you decide on aftermarket wheels +10 offset already sticks out ˜1". 0 offset ˜1.5". -10 offset ˜2" and so on. (in reality each 10mm offset is 0.4", but close enough for rough idea)

aginoc

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
I am swapping out 20 inch OEM Sahara wheels for 17s. Similar set up to what you're looking at. Decided on Fuel Ammo 17" rim with +1 offset paired with 285/70/17 Nitto Ridge. We are adding a spacer (no lift).

The wheel is also available in a -12 offset, but my installer recommended the +1 offset given that I'm not doing a lift. Told me that if I had the lift and 35s, then he would recommend the -12.

These same wheel sizes are available in the Fuel Assault model you're looking at.

This is my wife's car and she hated the 20s with the Dueler street tires - just a personal choice. But as others have pointed out, I think there are many more choices in the 17s and the ride should be much better even with the change from Dueler all season to the Ridge Grappler. The other advantage is total weight - the 17 inch wheel is lighter than the 20 which partially offsets the weight of the heavier tire.

I'd post pictures but the wheels are on backorder.

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Here are 17s with -12 offset and 4.5 backspacing running 35x12.5x17 tires.
Jeep Wrangler JL Tire and wheel Question image2-1
Jeep Wrangler JL Tire and wheel Question image0-3

OP
OP

JeepRx

First Name
Taz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Sahara
I am swapping out 20 inch OEM Sahara wheels for 17s. Similar set up to what you're looking at. Decided on Fuel Ammo 17" rim with +1 offset paired with 285/70/17 Nitto Ridge. We are adding a spacer (no lift).

The wheel is also available in a -12 offset, but my installer recommended the +1 offset given that I'm not doing a lift. Told me that if I had the lift and 35s, then he would recommend the -12.

These same wheel sizes are available in the Fuel Assault model you're looking at.

This is my wife's car and she hated the 20s with the Dueler street tires - just a personal choice. But as others have pointed out, I think there are many more choices in the 17s and the ride should be much better even with the change from Dueler all season to the Ridge Grappler. The other advantage is total weight - the 17 inch wheel is lighter than the 20 which partially offsets the weight of the heavier tire.

I'd post pictures but the wheels are on backorder.
Similar situation. This is a 3rd vehicle for us, replacing my 2014 Sahara. My wife drives it a lot and it will be my daughters in 3-4 years when she gets her license. My wife saw 20” assaults on another jeep and fell in love so I’m kind of stuck. Happy wife happy life! 😂

Hucke_250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sport
Ok my new Sahara is in the shipping stage and I am preparing mods for arrival. I have a question about wheels and how much they will stick out past the fenders. I am looking at getting Fuel Assaults either 20x10 -18 offset or 20x9 -12 offset. I think the backspacing is 4.5. Will probably be putting 33 x 12.5 x 20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on them. How much should I expect each to stick out past the fender. Pictures would be an appreciated bonus!!
The 20x10 -18 will stick out approximately 3 3/4 inches from the fenders.
The 20x9 -12 will stick out approximately 3 inches from the fenders.
I am running 20x9 +1 with 35x12.5x20 on my sport and they stick out 2.5 inches.
Hope this helps.

Sponsored

OP
OP

JeepRx

First Name
Taz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Sahara
The 20x10 -18 will stick out approximately 3 3/4 inches from the fenders.
The 20x9 -12 will stick out approximately 3 inches from the fenders.
I am running 20x9 +1 with 35x12.5x20 on my sport and they stick out 2.5 inches.
Hope this helps.
Yes that is a huge help. I think I have decided that's what I want to go with as well 20 x 9 +1

Hucke_250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sport
Yes that is a huge help. I think I have decided that's what I want to go with as well 20 x 9 +1
To me it’s a perfect fitment with just enough “poke” but not so much that I’m flinging rocks and mud up the sides of the Jeep.

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
You won't find much love for 20's on this forum.

Keep in mind that Rubicons and the Saharas/Sports have different axle widths. The same wheels will look different on each one.

I prefer -12 on a Sport/Sahara. But this is all about individual taste.
Sponsored