jr-323i

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL 3door
hi guys

Its finally time to replace my stock tyres - Dulcer Bridgestone H/T 255 70 R18. This is my wifes car and not used for off-road - I know! The standard tyres are ok, but handling is crappy.

Main goal from the new tyres is handling and grip on road. She would like something that looks chunky. What would everyone recommend? As I say its on road performance/handling that is number 1 priority.

We dont plan to replace the rims, just the tyres.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
As a fellow owner of a Wrangler that came with Bridgestone Duelers, let me tell you that any tires that look “chunkier” will only make your handling worse.

When it comes to tires, improved handling/braking and “chunkier” sit at opposite ends of the spectrum, unfortunately. So one of you two will need to adjust your expectations.

If you can get BF Goodrich KO2 where you are, it is one of the best all-around truck tires on the market. And look good.

Good luck.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Unfortunately "chunky" tires don't do as well on road. The more chunky the worse on road manners they have.

I'm not sure what is available on your side of the pond. I would focus on tires listed as "all terrain" as they do best on the road compared to the more aggressive tires.

I have found that the BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 is a good all around tire. If those are available I would recommend them.

Sponsored

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 4xe Rubicon (Earl Gray)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Goodyear Wrangler Adventure AT

- came stock on a lot of Saharas with optional Limited Slip Diff. Very road oriented AT with good handling characteristics

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Main goal from the new tyres is handling and grip on road.

As I say its on road performance/handling that is number 1 priority.
Michelin LTX M/S. Sometimes sold with "Defender" also on the sidewall.

Tyres with a "chunky" aesthetic; i.e., those that otherwise look correct on a Wrangler, will move you away from your stated use requirement.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Vredstein Quatrac? Not very chunky. But great all around tires.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jr-323i

jr-323i

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL 3door
There is too much choice, I hate that! So chunky is out the window, 100% focusing on highway on-road handling, which is the best tyre/tire. My wife never knowingly drives off-road, so handling is the main aim with minimal road noise. Why did Jeep fit Dulcer from factory?

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)
There is too much choice, I hate that! So chunky is out the window, 100% focusing on highway on-road handling, which is the best tyre/tire. My wife never knowingly drives off-road, so handling is the main aim with minimal road noise. Why did Jeep fit Dulcer from factory?
Because they were the low bid. If you can go down to 95 percent on road handling, you might try the Yokohama Geolander G015 which is the mildest all terrain tire I've ever seen.

OP
OP
jr-323i

jr-323i

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL 3door
Because they were the low bid. If you can go down to 95 percent on road handling, you might try the Yokohama Geolander G015 which is the mildest all terrain tire I've ever seen.
Thanks they look like an A/T All Terrain tire, could be good, the Dulcer tire I have from factory are stamped H/T highway terrain. So will look more towards the H/T for grip and performance on road, like I say my wife never goes off road, well only when she is parking :clap: