Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Jalopnik has posted info from an anonymous source claiming to have connections at a FCA plant purporting that the 2018 Wrangler JL and JLU will be offered with up to 6 different engines. Keep in mind that the 6 engine total include those sold in all markets. Also, the fate of the diesel Wrangler remains on hold as FCA deals with its own ongoing dieselgate investigation.
  • Two versions of the V6 3.6L Pentastar engine
  • A 3.0- and a 2.2-liter diesel (see previous Diesel Wrangler sighting)
  • Two versions of the 2.0L four-cylinder engine (Hurricane turbo 4 has previously been spied)

The tipster also claims that these top options will be available:
  • A black soft top
  • A tan soft top
  • A black hard top
  • A body-color hard top
  • A power retractable top
Sponsored

Last edited:

DarthMall

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4runner 4x4, Mazda B2500
Vehicle Showcase
The two Pentastar engine options will most likely include a full power platform for the North American and Middle Eastern markets and a de-tuned version for the European market. I'm interested in seeing what the 2.2 liter diesel engine will make in terms of power and if it will be at all offered in the US.

MLPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Willys JK 6M
6 engine total makes sense. Two V6 like @DarthMall breaks down, the 3.0L EcoDiesel for NA market and smaller 2.2L diesel for Europe, and high output 2.0L Hurricane turbo for NA while Europe gets lower output 2.0L turbo.

RDwheeler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JGC, Rubicon
The article makes it sound like this is launch info. It would be awesome to know that the diesel offerings will be available at the outset, I wish whoever tipped this said something about timing.

Cal_JLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future JLU
A power retractable hardtop is going to be exxxxxpenssssssiiiiive!

Sponsored

Aaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 C7 Corvette Stingray
Did they say if the power retractable top was soft or hard? I would assume soft

SWinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Wrangler JK
Did they say if the power retractable top was soft or hard? I would assume soft
I've read rumors for both. Rumor for power retracting soft top was something like the Jeep Liberty "SkySlider" roof. And rumored retractable hard top was like the Renegade's "MySky" roof.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
The two Pentastar engine options will most likely include a full power platform for the North American and Middle Eastern markets and a de-tuned version for the European market. I'm interested in seeing what the 2.2 liter diesel engine will make in terms of power and if it will be at all offered in the US.
I am praying the 2.2diesel will be available in the USA market ! I think youth sales NUMBERS with a bare bones 2.2 diesel base model in NA would be far higher volume wise than FCA would expect.

Also praying for more roof options, including one with a pano sunroof, in some shape or form.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
NO NO NO NO !!

That's too much choice ;) ...yet NONE of them are Hemis !!! :angry:

Hopefully one of the 3.6s is a forced air solution (preferably a SuperCharger) the type they will eventually use to displace the Hemis from their Cha/Cha sports cars. I'd be ok with a factory 3.6 SC (especially here at altitude), but still want a Hemi.

I would assume that they omitted the 3.0L (edit: that's 3.0L Pentastar not ED) for China from the listas it isn't destined for the US market, but could be replaced with the smaller displacement diesel and turbo, though it would be strange considering the success and accolades that engine has earned.

I am not surprised by the addition of the 2.2L diesel as I always considered it a better export option. It's possible entry in the N.Am. market is likely due to the EcoDiesel woes. They still need the EcoDiesel for the JT, the 2.2 would never cut it there... except in the export market.

It will be interesting to see the tunes they put on the Hurricane. IMO, it was originally going to get a milder tune putting it well under the 3.6 in power, and then the rumours it would get the Alfa tune @ 300HP, likely when someone asked "what is it capable of?" then they quoted the max of the engine tech, not what it would be in the Wrangler.
Now that that number is out there, they're likely stuck with eventually delivering that tune, even though it puts it right next to the 3.6 Pentastar. So once committed, might as well eventually use it to replace the 3.6 (in a similar strategy to the rumour Hemi replacement with forced air).

Last edited:

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tan Soft Top will likely sell like gangbusters in the SunBelt states.

Would love the option for any colour hardtop, so you could 'Chief' any model, or so you could do nice combos, like your favourite team or alma mater.

Interesting to see how the retractable roof works.
If it's fully retractable (like some already iut there), and not just partial retraction MySky or accordian, then the rear windows are gonna get a workout and likely get creases & scratches quick.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All 3 will have ESS
That's the most annoying part , especially since it's very minor in it's emissions/economy savings, and just a bridge solution until Hybrid.

Hate it on our Cherokee and the father-in-law's Mercedes.
I'm sure there will be lots of people looking for 'hidden' permanent disable methods like the seat belt warning defeat, otherwise they'll likely go the OBDII module route.

Would just prefer a combo solution like those currently for people without EVICs.

DarthMall

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4runner 4x4, Mazda B2500
Vehicle Showcase
Only 3 engines will be available at launch:

3.6L Pentastar upgrade
2.0L Hurricane
2.2L Diesel (export only)

All 3 will have ESS

-Milous
I'm kind of new to the forums so forgive me for asking, but what engine will be the standard one? I heard it was the 3.6 but it would be kind of weird to have the v6 as standard and the 4 cyl as optional.

Milous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
I'm kind of new to the forums so forgive me for asking, but what engine will be the standard one? I heard it was the 3.6 but it would be kind of weird to have the v6 as standard and the 4 cyl as optional.
The 2.0 will be Standard, 3.6 optional. It's possible that some upper trim models or special editions would have the 3.6 as Standard.
Sponsored