Sponsored

Tips on installing a hitch on a 2020 JLU Diesel?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLU Diesel
Any tips on installing a hitch on a diesel? Looks like fuel and DEF tank are in the way unlike a gas model.
Sponsored

fredT

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Any tips on installing a hitch on a diesel? Looks like fuel and DEF tank are in the way unlike a gas model.
There are a couple previous articles about installing the hitch, (with photos) however I did one myself on a diesel and can let you know it’s really not too difficult. I used the Rugged Ridge hitch which is designed exactly like the Mopar hitch. They make other brands that say they fit but if the end bolt areas are not angled up to fit around the DEF tank skid plate bolts it will not fit. (Check out the Mopar hitch first to see what I mean). You do have to remove a couple bolts on the skid plate of the DEF tank and pull it down out of the way to access hitch bolts, but other than that it’s pretty straight forward. You will remove and reuse two bolts on the crossmember where the hitch attaches. I did the entire job in my driveway with minimal hand tools in less than one hour. (Make sure you tighten to torque and use red lock tight on all the bolts).

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLU Diesel
There are a couple previous articles about installing the hitch, (with photos) however I did one myself on a diesel and can let you know it’s really not too difficult. I used the Rugged Ridge hitch which is designed exactly like the Mopar hitch. They make other brands that say they fit but if the end bolt areas are not angled up to fit around the DEF tank skid plate bolts it will not fit. (Check out the Mopar hitch first to see what I mean). You do have to remove a couple bolts on the skid plate of the DEF tank and pull it down out of the way to access hitch bolts, but other than that it’s pretty straight forward. You will remove and reuse two bolts on the crossmember where the hitch attaches. I did the entire job in my driveway with minimal hand tools in less than one hour. (Make sure you tighten to torque and use red lock tight on all the bolts).
Thanks!!