Sponsored

Tips for not getting oil everywhere when changing that oil filter?

kkarnage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392, 2020 JLUR, 2015 JKR
Occupation
Retired
OK, I’m 3 oil changes in and I’m clearly missing something obvious when it comes to swapping out the oil filter when doing an oil change.

I always manage to get copious quantities of oil everywhere when taking the filter off, even if I let the main pan drain first. Anyone have any tips on how to do it with slightly less mess? I have a Fumoto valve on the pan itself which makes the draining part an absolute breeze.
Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
OK, I’m 3 oil changes in and I’m clearly missing something obvious when it comes to swapping out the oil filter when doing an oil change.

I always manage to get copious quantities of oil everywhere when taking the filter off, even if I let the main pan drain first. Anyone have any tips on how to do it with slightly less mess? I have a Fumoto valve on the pan itself which makes the draining part an absolute breeze.
If it's similar placement to the 5.7, you may want to try the "Oil Udder". XL size. Allows you to tube drain it.

OP
OP

kkarnage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392, 2020 JLUR, 2015 JKR
Occupation
Retired
If it's similar placement to the 5.7, you may want to try the "Oil Udder". XL size. Allows you to tube drain it.
OMG, that’s an awesome tool! TY

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
OMG, that’s an awesome tool! TY
NP, make sure you use a tube, I figured the capacity in the cup would be enough the first time I used it... I was wrong. Don't know where the hell it all comes from.

carmigo

First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A

Found this great resource for some tips on oil change cleanliness.
https://mechanics.stackexchange.com...n-oil-change-at-home-cleanliness-and-disposal
Sponsored