Sponsored

Tips for finding trails to explore.

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
I found this web site thats pretty cool that when you zoom in and click on an area it will show you property parcels. Its called acrevalue.com

Here's why that's cool. I search google earth for areas where I can see mountain trails. Clicking on the history button shows you a slider where you can look at different dates/photos of the same area. Finding a view that was in fall with no leaves on the trees will sometimes reveal many trails you can't see thru the trees. Then I trace the trails of interest back to main roads or highways. Look at the access point in street view to see If it looks overgrown, or if there is a gate or is posted with any signs.

Next I look at acrevalue.com of the same area. This way I can see if the trail access is going across a small parcel of land that is privately owned or if its a big parcel like some that I see in northern Maine that are likely logging or paper company land. I avoid going thru personal property to get to a trail. Here's a couple examples that you can see the road is separate from the land parcel its in and the other view you can see a trail that goes thru someones parcel that is in the middle of another huge 10'000 acre parcel.

The roads out in the middle of nowhere sometimes show up in acrevalue where they do not in google earth. After I find some areas I want to check out, I go there and check to see if its gated, overgrown or posted. I make note of different ways to get to a trail so if its a no go I can explore several areas in one trip.

Once I find some good areas I explore the trail condition for a bit, then plan for a trip another day when I now know exactly where I want to go and bring a partner in case I get stuck. One of the promising area's I found there is logging operations. Usually they don't work weekends or when its still really soft wet ground. They leave the access open and not posting except for no snowmobiles on plowed logging road. If they are working stay out of the way.

Jeep Wrangler JL Tips for finding trails to explore. Trail

Jeep Wrangler JL Tips for finding trails to explore. Property
Sponsored

CaseOfAle

First Name
ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 981S, 19JLUS
That is a wicked clever strategy.. I may just have to try that in my area..