Sponsored

Tinted windows- yay or nay?

Cowboy from hell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Dr Rubicon hydro pearl 6 speed
So Im thinking about tinting my windows on my 2 door ruby. Whats the community thoughts on this mod? Do I also tint my front t windshield?.....
Sponsored

• Love
Reactions: 469

slowcrawlerZJ

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 1982 CJ7, 2018 WK
Occupation
Retired Navy
I think part of the decision maybe on where you live. I live in Oklahoma where it gets toasty and have a JLUR. I tinted all to keep it cool in the summers for my daily driving…minus the front. Not a fan of front window tint personally. I would be to distracted by it.

mferrara91

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Yes. 20% is a perfect match to the back glass...

Jeep Wrangler JL Tinted windows- yay or nay? tempImageQDiuEU

Tethmes

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLWS
Occupation
Management
Be sure to double check your state's laws on it. Here in MI for example, tinting is illegal without a medical exemption. Even with the exemption, completely tinting the front window is still not allowed.

That said, nobody gets pulled over because of side window tints, they just add it on the citation if you do get a ticket. And if you're in a state that allows it, then no issues whatsoever. I like tints on the side, but never been a fan of the windshield tint from a driving perspective. Just seems a bit dangerous for nighttime driving.

I'll be tinting my side windows soon, just haven't had the chance yet. :)

Sponsored

Dwire4xe

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe
I think personally against tint now, ive had it on most of my cars usually in the 5-20% range and dont love not being able too see well at night. As for the windshield i always think of a wrangler driving around topless with a tinted windshield.

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
When one lives in AZ, then tinting windows at a legal %, is needed. But I have never seen this done on windshields, and am not sure that it is even legal.

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
For my sports car, tinted windows is a must have but for my jeep that i ride doorless & topless during the summer, it’s a nay for me.

Jeep Wrangler JL Tinted windows- yay or nay? 1655169312439

Mamba Wrangler

First Name
Black Mamba
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Where I live It gets pretty hot in the summertime so I've decided to put 5% tints on all of my rear windows, 25% on the front ones and almost half of my windshield is tinted.... I can honestly say that it's been a game changer for me in terms of how cool and fresh it keep the car when I pair it with the AC....
Screenshot_20220613-211702_Gallery.jpg

Sponsored

toothirtyj

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Hellayella JL Willys, 3.6L/6MT, 4.10's
Occupation
LE
I tint matched the front two doors (of my two door) to my factory hardtop's tint and am very happy. I don't tint the windshield at all due to the amount of night driving I do.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I say nay. I think it's important to see other drivers, as it allows people to gauge whether someone is going to go, whether they are waving you through, whether they are paying attention. It's especially important when you're riding a motorcycle and you need to see the driver of the other vehicle(s). It makes it very difficult to see other drivers and impacts driving and safety.

Badfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR XR
Occupation
Retired fisherman
The look of full tint all around is a great look. I always tint my windshield. Car commercials have tinted windshields for a look as well.

Problem lies where you live and the local government enforcement on it. I think at minimum to tint to the legal limit even the windshield as it blocks UV.

I’m lucky enough to be in Arizona where no cop has ever ticketed me or anyone I know. I’m illegal as dark as you can go with just one layer of tint(you can black out layering the tint). Been pulled over a lot and that has never been brought up, ticketed or free to go. But that is AZ where it’s more common due to the heat and Sun. There is a need for it where I live.
Sponsored