Time to start with modifications on my wrangler

ski.dec

First Name
Katie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Hello all! I purchased my 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL last year and now I'm finally ready to do some modifications. Currently everything on it is stock. I'm so overwhelmed because it feels like you can modify every little piece of a Jeep (which is part of why I bought it in the first place). I'm a baby off roader, I stick to really mellow trails but I'm looking to learn more about off roading next year. I'm mostly just daily driving for now, I live in the PNW and split my time between the city and hiding in the woods. That being said, there are a few things that need to be changed up now that I've been driving it for a year & know what I do/don't like about it. I'd like to learn to do most of this work myself, but not opposed to paying for something that's far too complicated for me. My stepdad is a wizard with cars and has offered his help/tools and I'll be relying on youtube to help as well.

First thing is lights- I know I need brighter headlights, stock headlights are a joke! I know I want LED and I need an IP rating of 68 (PNW life) but I'm looking for recommendations for kits. I'm assuming I'll want to replace the fog lights as well so that both sets of lights are the same color. The next step for lights is adding more- do I go with a strip on top? Add pods? Wait until I drive with the new head/fog light bulbs & see if I even need more light? Some friends have warned that strip lights can cause glare more often than not.

Next up winch vs recovery strap. Since I'm not the most experienced at off roading and don't have the biggest budget I'm leaning towards a recovery strap. I realize I may eventually want a winch, but right now I feel like there are other things I'd prioritize over it. Any recommendations for recovery strap brands? And any other supplies I should include in my off roading kit?

Bull bars- I like the rugged look but I want something that functions. I work in the ski industry & spend the majority of the year living in the woods with all sorts of critters. If I'm looking at adding a bull bar, should I look at replacing my front bumper as well? I don't love the look of the stock bumpers/fenders and have seen some really rad ones out there. I also feel like this is an opportunity to add more lights as I've seen bumpers/fenders with lights set into them.

Any and all suggestions are happily taken! I'm ready to start turning my little stock Jeep into my dream Jeep!
Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
You dont need to go LED. I saw too many potential negatives, with that conversion. I went Philips +100% headlight bulbs. They are a huge improvement over stock, no electrical issues, they aim properly, and are inexpensive.
I also swapped some Rubicon tires/rims, and suspension. This added several inches of ground clearance, plus it looks better, and costs little.
But, I would love a nice heavy duty Aluminum set of bumpers.

OP
OP
ski.dec

ski.dec

First Name
Katie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
If you do go LED make sure they have heaters, LED's don't produce as much heat and will ice over in winter where you are at.
Thanks! I didn't even think of that!

Sponsored

Kpbergma

First Name
Karel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 JKUS, 20 JLUR
I think the problem is that they ice over while driving. Your windshield has a defroster and wipers for that.
Can confirm. I have the LED package and in intense snowfall they just get covered in snow and don’t melt off. It has to REALLY be snowing for this to happen, but when it does, the reduction in illumination is significant.
Sponsored