Time to say goodbye...for now

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
I’m out for now. Had a 2018 JLU Rubicon. 33,000 miles and only major issue was steering...got the gear box replaced with the steel version and it helped. Wasn’t very bad to begin with.

I had always promised my daughter she’d eventually get it handed down to her and that day has come. She’s living on the east coast while my wife and I are still in Colorado. Eventually when we move out there in a few years I’ll be reunified with it...title is still in my name so it’s not going anywhere or being traded in for a cute VW Beetle.

Anyway, been eyeing the Gladiator Sport S. Will jump over to that forum to see what the owners think, but I know there are some here that own both as well. Any thoughts or feedback in comparison to the Wrangler would be great.
Sponsored

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
#1 Son has a Gladiator Sport S, loves it. He’s averaged a touch over 22 mpg since getting it last spring. 5 k miles thus far, mostly local and short haul stuff, going to base, etc.

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
All I can say is look up the dimensions of that thing and measure how it will fit in your garage. We did that when my wife was thinking of buying a Gladiator before she bought her JLU and there was going to be about 1 ft clearance between the front bumper and the storage cabinets. Thus, the JLU instead.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I’m out for now. Had a 2018 JLU Rubicon. 33,000 miles and only major issue was steering...got the gear box replaced with the steel version and it helped. Wasn’t very bad to begin with.

I had always promised my daughter she’d eventually get it handed down to her and that day has come. She’s living on the east coast while my wife and I are still in Colorado. Eventually when we move out there in a few years I’ll be reunified with it...title is still in my name so it’s not going anywhere or being traded in for a cute VW Beetle.

Anyway, been eyeing the Gladiator Sport S. Will jump over to that forum to see what the owners think, but I know there are some here that own both as well. Any thoughts or feedback in comparison to the Wrangler would be great.
The title may still be in your name but I would expect to see a bunch of pink “girl Jeeper” stickers all over that JLU when you next see it.

JerseyMark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Willys Sport, 2019 JLU Sahara
I seriously considered the Gladiator. I test drove two different ones and each time I felt like they were too long. I also did not really like the look of the Gladiator. So, I went with the JLU.
Having said that,
My brother just bought a Gladiator Sport S about a week ago and it is actually growing on me. In stock form, his did not look right or feel right driving. However, he swapped his 35” wheels/tires from his prior JL and he put the 2” mopar lift on it. I have to say the bigger tires and lift completely changed the truck. It went from looking bad(IMO) to looking badass. It also drives a lot better with the lift and bigger tires. One other thing to consider is the price. Right now, Gladiators have employee pricing and 0% financing. The Popular equipment group on the sport S trim ends up being a bargain(includes hardtop, convenience group, tech group, tow package, remote start). His just has that package and auto trans. He ended up paying mid 30s for it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Saejin

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Actually think my daughter would prefer be all blacked out. Pink is really not her thing which is good.

Agree the Gladiator is long. We’ve got a 4ft extension on an already longer than standard garage so it should fit with no issues.

And yes, is stock for the Gladiator is not very good looking. 35s and a lift do the trick hence the Sport S versus Rubicon. Plan is to build it up.

thanks for all the feedback.

Oilburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
If you have to pull a trailer w/ your Wrangler with any regularity you will enjoy a Gladiator.
Crazy to move from CO to the east coast. That’s about all I got for ya

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
I looked at one. If buying a pickup, it needs to have room. A Ram has more room, comfort and convenience come into play. The 5.7 does not hurt.

Alas, I bought a JL Rubicon. Should have just bought the truck. It was cheaper, more comfortable and I would not be spending all my money modding the crap out of it.

My 2 door JL is cool though.

OP
OP
Saejin

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Yeah, not looking forward to the move to the east coast.

I thought about the Ram 1500 as well. Even the TRX, but that’s gonna be pricey and not sure if I’ll have any real use for what it offers.

It’ll be about a year before I get anything so plenty of time to decide.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
I know a number of folks leaving Colorado for North Carolina, but it is interesting to be leaving the Western side for the East. I will probably never leave Arizona, but if I did it would be to go to Utah or Idaho possibly, although Boise is being overrun by out of staters as we speak.

My wife really likes the Gladiator and it has finally grown on me. I still prefer my JLUR and I will be towing a teardrop trailer in the future, but the one I am going to order, the Off Grid Trailer Expedition 2.0 is 1800 pounds dry, so won't be an issue.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I’m in the process of buying 11 acres of land in upstate NY. I thought about trading in my JLU for a new Gladiator because of the convenience of the pickup bed. That lasted until I measured that I’d have only 4” of clearance to close my garage door, it only tows 500 more pounds than my Jeep and most of all....no Sky One Touch option. Um, I’ll just buy a small trailer.
Sponsored