roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
The draglink was a big pain to get free from the pitman arm, I shudda just pulled the pitman arm right off the bat, and dealt with it off the vehicle. I had to run around town this morning for tools and loctite. So, this has been dragging out longer than I wanted. I also took note that the original Oct 2018 build steering box (I can't tell which revision, because the tag is all faded out) had an unacceptable amount of play at the pitman arm. So, I spent some time dealing with the OEM thread locker on the adjuster before I could adjust it. I got it down to a very small amount of backlash, maybe .010-.020" at the pitman arm. That took a lot of time, working by myself, to make sure I didn't get it too tight and bind across the full range of steering. But then, I'm retired. Slow is ok.

If you're going to install a Synergy sector brace/trackbar brace, you'll need a big ass 42 mm socket and some way to torque the sector shaft nut to 180 lbs/ft. I got by with a 1 11/16" socket, but it's iffy.

The Synergy brace went on pretty easily, but lining up all the holes was a bit time consuming. You have to take the swaybar loose at the link on both sides of the axle. I took it loose at the link to axle location. It really doesn't matter if you choose the swawbar to link location. Either will work. You will need to jack the passenger side to allow the suspension to extend to swing the swaybar down so it's out of the way of installing the Synergy brace. Just do it. It will save you cursing and it is in the instructions to do so. My installation ended up with a bit of misalignment of the trackbar hole where I had to do a few minutes of filing with a rat-tail file. I tried loosening all the bolts and tried to shift it around but it just wouldn't quite align. Not a big deal.

I'm taking a lunch/old timer break right now. But the brace is in and ready for me to re-install the Yeti trackbar and the new draglink and tierod.

20200305_143630.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
FYI

Torque for steering linkage.JPG

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Got it all installed except no room for the Falcon steering damper. I'm running without a damper for a while until I can get the right match of parts. Not going to use it except for the test drive, since the tierod can fall down a bit without a damper supporting it. I set the toe and the draglink for a straight wheel. I drove it 4-5 miles at up to about 55. It seems rock solid. No tendancy to shimmy at all. Steering felt very nice. No real detectable play. But I need to get it up on the freeway for some sustained 70 mph stuff to see if there's any dead area. Maybe later tonight or tomorrow.
20200306_070312.jpg

Djtlaz123

First Name
Destry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler Sahara JlU
OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer

Sponsored

Djtlaz123

First Name
Destry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler Sahara JlU
OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
When the dealer replaced my steering box, they used a pickle fork and ripped the boot at the draglink/pitman arm. I just noticed it a couple weeks ago. Now I have to take it back to the dealer and have them fix what they broke.

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Drove it on the freeway early this morning. It drove like a $50,000 SUV of the year jeep should drive. One hand at 80 mph, no shimmy on overpasses, no sawing on the wheel, no friggin slop in the steering, Most of all: no "it's a jeep thing". ...and I don't have any steering damper installed, nor do I have 6 or 8 degrees of caster. Hell, I didn't even push in my fuses.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Got it all installed except no room for the Falcon steering damper. I'm running without a damper for a while until I can get the right match of parts. Not going to use it except for the test drive, since the tierod can fall down a bit without a damper supporting it. I set the toe and the draglink for a straight wheel. I drove it 4-5 miles at up to about 55. It seems rock solid. No tendancy to shimmy at all. Steering felt very nice. No real detectable play. But I need to get it up on the freeway for some sustained 70 mph stuff to see if there's any dead area. Maybe later tonight or tomorrow.
20200306_070312.jpg
It's perfectly ok to drive without a steering stabilizer. In fact I like to do that after changing anything in the steering so I can feel what's going on. The steering stabilizers job is to dampen the steering system to help eliminate harmonics, but with good parts properly installed it's not so needed.

Sponsored

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
20200306_070312.jpg
Several members here have been able to make this work. I just recently installed all this stuff myself as well so it can be done with the falcon although It is a very tight fit under there. Turn the Jeep on and turn the wheel to full lock, make adjustments for clearances, then turn to the opposite side full lock and make adjustments for clearances. once that is done then of coarse you will have articulate the suspension and check for clearances again to make sure everything clears.

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Several members here have been able to make this work. I just recently installed all this stuff myself as well so it can be done with the falcon although It is a very tight fit under there. Turn the Jeep on and turn the wheel to full lock, make adjustments for clearances, then turn to the opposite side full lock and make adjustments for clearances. once that is done then of coarse you will have articulate the suspension and check for clearances again to make sure everything clears.
Yeah, I went thru all that. I had it laying up against the draglink attenuator to clear the trackbar. But with the steering turned left, when the suspension on the driver side gets compressed the Yeti trackbar won't clear the steering damper body. This damper was the Northridge 4x4 recommendation. I'm gonna call Steersmarts for their solution.

20JL Rubi

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon
When you say steering knuckles are you referring to the tie rod ends only or all of the knuckles drag link control arm etc......

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I went thru all that. I had it laying up against the draglink attenuator to clear the trackbar. But with the steering turned left, when the suspension on the driver side gets compressed the Yeti trackbar won't clear the steering damper body. This damper was the Northridge 4x4 recommendation. I'm gonna call Steersmarts for their solution.
Now that I’m looking a little closer at your pics, you still have the stock suspension on, correct?
Sponsored