Tie Rod play and noise?

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Weird timing, I just noticed the exact same thing on mine today. Curious if others confirm this as normal or not.

OP
OP
SilverRubi

SilverRubi

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Weird timing, I just noticed the exact same thing on mine today. Curious if others confirm this as normal or not.
I finally got some trails in today for the first time after the lift. I was checking everything when I got home and noticed it.

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
I finally got some trails in today for the first time after the lift. I was checking everything when I got home and noticed it.
Just did some googling and consensus seems to be it's normal. That's the drag link btw.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Just did some googling and consensus seems to be it's normal. That's the drag link btw.
Thatā€™s the tie rod. Drag link is above it. Tie rod ā€˜tiesā€™ the tires together.

That movement seems ok. Not sure where the noise is coming from. To check the tie rod you need to check the ball joints at the ends. Itā€™s a ball joint so some movement is normal and other movement is not.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SilverRubi

SilverRubi

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
My drag link makes the same sound when I twist it too. I did notice on my way home my steering wheel was off center. I didn't hit anything up front and there's no signs of damage. I wasn't really in any rocks. Did flex it pretty decently going through some creeks. Nothing seemed loose, just noticed the tie rod and drag link movement and noise.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
My drag link makes the same sound when I twist it too. I did notice on my way home my steering wheel was off center. I didn't hit anything up front and there's no signs of damage. I wasn't really in any rocks. Did flex it pretty decently going through some creeks. Nothing seemed loose, just noticed the tie rod and drag link movement and noise.
If the lift is fairly new and it was your first time with it off-road, the suspension likely settled a tad. Adjust the drag link to center the wheel and it should be fine.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

Is this normal?
Thatā€™s normal , all factory tie rods do that. If it makes a clicking noise when you turn steering wheel back and forth then thatā€™s a sign itā€™s on its way out. Have someone turn steering wheel slightly back and forth, just enough to start moving tires, while you listen for clicking. If you donā€™t hear anything your good.

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Thatā€™s the tie rod. Drag link is above it. Tie rod ā€˜tiesā€™ the tires together.

That movement seems ok. Not sure where the noise is coming from. To check the tie rod you need to check the ball joints at the ends. Itā€™s a ball joint so some movement is normal and other movement is not.
Ah I didn't notice he was pulling on the different component since my drag link makes the same noise. I just checked and my tie rod does as well. Thanks.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Looks like the rod bolt pin is moving up and down in the tapered sleeve. Tighten the castle nut to specā€™s. BTW, I found several loose nuts in my steering linkage system during conversion to HD Synergy parts. My JLRā€™s steering is working at 100% now. Itā€™s not at a Rack&Pinion 100% feeling , never will.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kit isn't for steering linkage. T.R. and Drag bar have a different type of connection.
No but it will quiet down your track bar and control arms which, if youā€™re still using the factory fasteners, that cause noise, clicks, and bumps.

OP
OP
SilverRubi

SilverRubi

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I've been looking at getting Synergy tie rod and drag link. The jeep is kind of scary over 70. I get some floaty/drifting out of it. I have a metalcloak 3.5 gamechanger and 37s. I'm running just over 6 degrees caster. I also have the track bar and sector shaft brace.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've been looking at getting Synergy tie rod and drag link. The jeep is kind of scary over 70. I get some floaty/drifting out of it. I have a metalcloak 3.5 gamechanger and 37s. I'm running just over 6 degrees caster. I also have the track bar and sector shaft brace.
Iā€™m running 37ā€™s and Synergy and it is solid as a rock. Might want to check your squat and re-torque everything when she is sitting on the ground if not already done so.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Only if the bolts are loose. They aren't suppose to be BTW.
True, but when you re-use the factory fasteners, theyā€™ve been stretched once at the factory and can loosen easily the second or third time used with beefier components. That my experience, take that for what itā€™s worth, hence purchasing replacement grade A nuts and bolts.
Sponsored