Sponsored

Thule, Rhino Rack, or... Yakima? (gutter mounted crossbars)

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
For various reasons, I've decided to go with an exposed rack over backbone (at least for now), but I'm finding it overwhelming and could use some help regarding security of the mounts.

For ease of ordering, I'm not interested in Mopar.

So far I'm looking at: Thule Aeroblade or Wingbar Evo, Rhino Rack (if this is your recommendation please be specific of model), and I've read Yakima is also good, but I can't seem to find much information on the mounts. I definitely want a flat aerodynamic (not square) bar though, and mounts that could comfortably hold an average 50 lbs. (I recognize that all of the mentioned would do just fine, but I'm hoping for personal opinions on quality, etc.)

Could someone give me a hand?
Sponsored

maguro

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
I'm currently using a Rhino Vortex SG. It's a great rack which is very sleek and priced competitively.

The mounts clamp down onto the rain gutters and although they don't have any provisions for a lock, they at least use a security torx bit. I've used it to carry a canoe throughout last summer.

My only regret is it's limited carrying space since the cross bars do not extend beyond the towers. The bars are wide enough for most applications but I realized that I can't mount two kayaks side by side.

jl-swiftcanoe.jpg

In case you're wondering, I've since moved the front rack off of the Freedom panels.

OP
OP
TrailJoy

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
I'm currently using a Rhino Vortex SG. It's a great rack which is very sleek and priced competitively.

The mounts clamp down onto the rain gutters and although they don't have any provisions for a lock, they at least use a security torx bit. I've used it to carry a canoe throughout last summer.

My only regret is it's limited carrying space since the cross bars do not extend beyond the towers. The bars are wide enough for most applications but I realized that I can't mount two kayaks side by side.

jl-swiftcanoe.jpg

In case you're wondering, I've since moved the front rack off of the Freedom panels.
Thank you. I should have mentioned that I DO want them to extent the mounts, and I will also NOT be mounting them to the freedom panels (which will soon be replaced with the bestop sunrider).

That's good to know about the torx though. I'll keep that (and security) in mind!

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
If you want security Thule and Yakima have lock cores. As you may have read we use Yakima round bars that are extremely robust with zero flex. Each component is lockable and can be keyed alike. Towers - box - ski/SB rack. We have 3 different Yakima round bar systems on various vehicles. Even after 20+ years all the locking mechanisms still work perfect.

Unfortunately we have never used aero bars - as we have been extremely happy with the load capacity and durability of the round ones. The link is for the longest bar version. Have also looked at Thule systems but ended up staying with Yakima. For the JL use the 1A Raingutter mount. Mount is simple and on there rock solid.

https://www.yakima.com/roundbar

F3964907-5C9A-4EAD-A45A-9DA6DDD2850B.jpeg

OP
OP
TrailJoy

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
If you want security Thule and Yakima have lock cores.
I was shopping for one today. The Thule one comes with a standard flathead screwdriver "lock", but you can buy a key lock for $75. It's a nice option I guess, but it brings the price upwards of $700 CAD. Which is a lot to swallow for crossbars...

Sponsored

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep Thule and Yakima roof racks and boxes are generally top tier quality. But you mentioned you were considering both so there you go insofar as the answer for locks. I think Yakima has a lifetime warranty on most components.

ECHOPLEX

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS

Jeep Wrangler JL Thule, Rhino Rack, or... Yakima? (gutter mounted crossbars) F3964907-5C9A-4EAD-A45A-9DA6DDD2850B

Thanks for posting Ken. May I ask which canoe clamps/supports you used on the crossbars? Pros/Cons as compared to the Rhino RLH2 holders?

Thanks

ian

Gadsden11

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I have Yakima gutter mounts and round crossbars to use a yakima load warrior basket. I've used this setup for about ten years on several different vehicles including the JLU. They make solid stuff and have all kinds of accessories for them. I've never felt the need to lock them on so I can't comment on that part.

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is with both box and canoe loaded on the Yakima bars for camping. Inside converted to sleeping quarters with air mattress and bug screen window vents. Makes a very nice overnight setup without a tent.

E3A1B3FC-B0BF-4B1E-9F14-E034AF00EC8E.png

DE7E50B3-8F41-4B1C-9F71-47C37F0D3AD2.png

jeme

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Does any manufacturer make these that work with the One Touch roof? Anyone with experience using a rack with that roof? thanks so much!

Sponsored

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yakima system works so long as you have roof rail gutters to mount the towers.

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
This is with both box and canoe loaded on the Yakima bars for camping. Inside converted to sleeping quarters with air mattress and bug screen window vents. Makes a very nice overnight setup without a tent.
Sorry about this slight thread detour, but what bug screen window vents do you use?

Thanks!

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My son and his GF fashioned these from soffit vent material they purchased at Home Depot. They also sewed drape material to reflective backing. Actually quite ingenious and well put together. The cross-flow ventilation worked fine and the many bugs stayed outside.

39FAAA36-00D1-43D9-A9F3-5D3A57EEE160.png

CFCBD5F6-A029-46F6-A70F-A17DADD0F9B2.png

57B6FA14-8C93-4154-8B53-5A5AA4C877A0.png

maguro

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
Thanks for posting Ken. May I ask which canoe clamps/supports you used on the crossbars? Pros/Cons as compared to the Rhino RLH2 holders?

Thanks

ian
Ian,

I am using the Yakima KeelOver.

It pretty much does the same thing as the RLH2 while costing over twice as much. However, it's very easy to mount, remove and slide around since it uses a clamping system which works with any aero bar.

I carry a different mix of canoes and kayaks so I was willing to pay the premium for the flexibility...
Sponsored