Sponsored

Thule Pulse Rooftop Cargo Box (sz: Alpine) on Rhino Rack Vortex (SG59)

Castle999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL
Roof Rack

I looked at Thule, Mopar and Rhino Rack, amongst others.

I didn't want to drill and preferred to not have the end of the rack bars extend out beyond the legs.
This left me with Rhino Rack's Vortex (SG59) that have a weight rating of 88 lbs.

For my 2-door, I did switch the front and rear bars for better fitment.
I also used 3M tape to prevent any scratches at the mounting points and to serve as a reference point for re-mounting.
Special thanks to @Arterius2, @broox and @paulr for the tips!​

I do have some long-term concerns about the roof rack.
Concern 1: The longevity of the mounting points to the rain gutters is something that I am now paranoid about.​
As an experiment, I did not use any (blue) loctite but may apply some after some more mileage.​
Concern 2: Also, after subtracting the 30 lbs of dry weight from the cargo box, I am left with +/- 50 lbs to load.​
Weight distribution is also something that I am looking out for, as I don't want the bars to sag or to over load one side of the legs over the other.​
The rack does flex under a medium amount of pressure applied directly to the top of the rack.​

Cargo/Roof Box

For my personal use, I don't need anything too large or bulky but do need space for bulky sporting equipment (e.g. skis and snowboards).
With 10-16 cubic feet of storage in mind, I looked at options from Yakima and Thule.
I figured this would also minimize any front and/or rear overhang, more on this later...

While neither brands are cheap, Yakima's considerably higher price point made it prohibitively expensive.
I ended up going with Thule's Pulse (size: Alpine) with a load capacity of 110 lbs.
Dry weight alone is 30 lbs.

I mounted it according to the instruction manual with ~24" of space b/w the front and rear crossbars.
This resulted in the front crossbar mounted on the driver and passenger freedom tops and the rear crossbar mounted to the rear hardtop.
The clamps attached to the rack without any problem and clear the freedom top by about ~2".

Now, for the moment of truth, front and rear clearances... As I mentioned before, I did have concerns about overhang in the front and back and expected there to be some on both ends.

For the front, it does hang over the front window but there is no sight of the box at all from inside.
The rear of the box also clears the window, when opened.
It worked out perfectly. :whew:

With this setup, I have put on several thousand miles including through mountains and snow.
There is no noticeable whistling or noise.

FWIW, on stock wheels and suspension, this setup has a height clearance is 7'3".

Many thanks again to all of you and the information shared.
It helped me make the best decision for me and I couldn't of done it on the first attempt without it.
Cheers!

IMG_4208.jpg

IMG_4209.jpg

IMG_4211.JPG

IMG_4212.JPG
Sponsored

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
I like those racks. I have them on my 2-door also!

Just my two cents...

The aerodynamic lift and moment forces on the cargo box are significant, especially at highway speeds. The rack load rating is only related to weight (down force only) and does not take into consideration lifting forces and moments. That said, be careful mounting a rack on the removable freedom panels. Who really knows how much load the removable freedom panels can take. Should consider putting as much weight as you can in the front of the cargo box to minimize the net lifting forces on the front rack. Maybe even move the front rack farther forward to transfer more of the load to the freedom panel's front attach points.

OP
OP
Castle999

Castle999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL
I agree.

Still, after several 4-5 hour road trips at freeway speeds with considerable wind from all directions, I have developed a false sense of security...

Still, I do check the mounting points periodically, especially during those long drives.

Side note, I'm not sure if I've seen a (non-sport) Bronco with a similar roof box or any for that matter.

Hopefully Jeep develops a purpose-based solution in the future!

I like those racks. I have them on my 2-door also!

Just my two cents...

The aerodynamic lift and moment forces on the cargo box are significant, especially at highway speeds. The rack load rating is only related to weight (down force only) and does not take into consideration lifting forces and moments. That said, be careful mounting a rack on the removable freedom panels. Who really knows how much load the removable freedom panels can take. Should consider putting as much weight as you can in the front of the cargo box to minimize the net lifting forces on the front rack. Maybe even move the front rack farther forward to transfer more of the load to the freedom panel's front attach points.
Sponsored