Kam98

First Name
Kam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL wrangler
Hello everyone,

I've got 2019 JL. Just had the 2.5 level kit with 20x10s and 35x12.5 ridge grapplers and right way noticed thud or door knock noise driving below 25 mlph rolling on its on with no foot on gas. Mostly when drive shaft was under no tension. Then auto transmission would throw it in lower gear the noise would go away until drive shaft up was under no tension again and noise is back. The shop tried 33s but same issue. Finally made him take everything off and leave it stock. I noticed the thuds are still there! Just Never noticed them before. Wtf. Anyone with this scenerio? Please help.
Anyone ran into this? When I put the tranny into D from N or P, it give the jeep a big bang. So could be a tranny issue or bad axle? Got 25k miles on it and still under warranty.

Please help.
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have the rear limited slip differential? What you're describing sounds like what many others have had, and are continuing to have problems with. The lsd clutches are prematurely wearing and the friction material is turning the diff oil into an abrasive fluid that starts hyper wearing the input shaft bearing. The thudding/clunking is always reported as happening when coasting, and it gets louder with larger tires.

If you have lsd, bring it to a good dealer with the stock wheels and tires on it.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
ā€˜Merica
New body style?

OP
OP

Kam98

First Name
Kam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL wrangler
Do you have the rear limited slip differential? What you're describing sounds like what many others have had, and are continuing to have problems with. The lsd clutches are prematurely wearing and the friction material is turning the diff oil into an abrasive fluid that starts hyper wearing the input shaft bearing. The thudding/clunking is always reported as happening when coasting, and it gets louder with larger tires.

If you have lsd, bring it to a good dealer with the stock wheels and tires on it.
I don't know if my jeep has a lsd...seems like a complicated issue? What extqcly is the problem here?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Kam98

First Name
Kam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL wrangler

I've already made an appointment with the dealer in my area. What exactly should I tell them as dealers are always defensive about fixing things. Specially complicated things.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I've already made an appointment with the dealer in my area. What exactly should I tell them as dealers are always defensive about fixing things. Specially complicated things.
Assuming you have a limited slip rear differential, tell them that there is a widely known issue with the lsd clutch. They have to drain the diff oil. If it's blackened, that is the clutch material contaminating it. At that point, a full and detailed inspection of the whole rear axle assembly is required. In most other cases, dealers are replacing the entire axle assembly.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Kam98

First Name
Kam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL wrangler
Assuming you have a limited slip rear differential, tell them that there is a widely known issue with the lsd clutch. They have to drain the diff oil. If it's blackened, that is the clutch material contaminating it. At that point, a full and detailed inspection of the whole rear axle assembly is required. In most other cases, dealers are replacing the entire axle assembly.
Soumds good. Thanks a lot for the info.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

a 2018 Sahara could be a JL or a JK

"New body style" is his way of differentiating between the two. It's a fairly common phrase. Quoting a chassis code is a fairly unique Jeep thing.
no its super common with mustangs and bmws too. im sure others as well. i believe 911s too. its a car enthusiast thing. regular, "normal" (lol) people are like, wtf?

JeepersCreepers2

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Hello everyone,

I've got 2019 JL. Just had the 2.5 level kit with 20x10s and 35x12.5 ridge grapplers and right way noticed thud or door knock noise driving below 25 mlph rolling on its on with no foot on gas. Mostly when drive shaft was under no tension. Then auto transmission would throw it in lower gear the noise would go away until drive shaft up was under no tension again and noise is back. The shop tried 33s but same issue. Finally made him take everything off and leave it stock. I noticed the thuds are still there! Just Never noticed them before. Wtf. Anyone with this scenerio? Please help.
Anyone ran into this? When I put the tranny into D from N or P, it give the jeep a big bang. So could be a tranny issue or bad axle? Got 25k miles on it and still under warranty.

Please help.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/strange-knocking-sound.61309/post-1310883

Here is a thread that should help. Lots of folks including me have had issues with the rear D44 axle. It creates a rotational thud/knocking sound at low speeds with no foot on the gas. I had my rear axle replaced as did many others. Might be good to at least suggest to the dealer. Good Luck

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
ā€˜Merica
a 2018 Sahara could be a JL or a JK

"New body style" is his way of differentiating between the two. It's a fairly common phrase. Quoting a chassis code is a fairly unique Jeep thing.
I got that. I own two 2018 JLU Saharas. I thought that this being the JL forum that four model years into production we wouldnā€™t be talking about JKs at this point.

21 Willys

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys Sarge Green
I got that. I own two 2018 JLU Saharas. I thought that this being the JL forum that four model years into production we wouldnā€™t be talking about JKs at this point.
The OP said it is a 2019 JL. Pretty clear as there were no JKs produced in 2019.
Sponsored