Sponsored

Thrumming Noise at Highway Speeds (63-67ish)

BubbaJeep

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Waiting for rings to come back from powder coating. I will let you know!!
Did the thrumming go away?
The thrumming is gone!! Dynatrac lift Mopar bead lock rims and Dueler AT3s so far really like the lift and tires. No thanks to JeepCares!!! Truly they did nothing whatsoever. Dealerships wasted my time and money It cost me 3K to fix something the dealership should have taken ownership of!!!!!

1D1FD4D2-0211-41E0-B870-2B972C8ED3DB.jpeg

857B28B8-AEFD-4B79-9327-698FD920E15A.jpeg

JeepJohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Congrats! It looks great.

QUOTE="BubbaJeep, post: 1706404, member: 57259"]
The thrumming is gone!! Dynatrac lift Mopar bead lock rims and Dueler AT3s so far really like the lift and tires. No thanks to JeepCares!!! Truly they did nothing whatsoever. Dealerships wasted my time and money It cost me 3K to fix something the dealership should have taken ownership of!!!!!

Jeep Wrangler JL Thrumming Noise at Highway Speeds (63-67ish) 857B28B8-AEFD-4B79-9327-698FD920E15A

Jeep Wrangler JL Thrumming Noise at Highway Speeds (63-67ish) 857B28B8-AEFD-4B79-9327-698FD920E15A

[/QUOTE]

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Glad. Mojave, 16 JKU Sahara, 20 Supra
Reading thru this thread fills me with dread at how us Jeep customers are dismissed by dealers and Jeep.

Since it seems the issue has been identified, what has everyone been doing with their old defective Rubicon wheels? I hope destroying them and not pawning them off on some other poor unsuspecting soul. Realistically Jeep should buy them back off you all for retail price.

dave1232

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Rubicon
Hi all new here. I have the same issue with the thrumming noise. 2021 rubicon 4xe. I wanted to try something before I changed the wheels to try to get rid of it. As others mentioned it it might be the plastic liner in the fender. There is a gap in the back fender where the liner meets the bumper pice if you look behind it you can see they have a pice of foam which I Imagine is to fill the gap. I surmise that air from the more aggressive tread of the stock K02 tires might be forcing air into it and causing a buffeting. Changing the size or with might cause it to not be as pronounced. If you see in the photo what I did was to put some masking tape over the gap. I only tested it briefly but I believe it has helped. As a control if someone else’s wants to try and report back that would be helpful. I am going to run it for a week like that to make sure there is actually a difference. If it doesn’t work next stop is new wheels and tires (honestly it was kinda a good excuse to buy new wheels) so I will report back after I get some more highway time with it.
Jeep Wrangler JL Thrumming Noise at Highway Speeds (63-67ish) 6AEDC717-50BE-4EEA-9091-726CD64A5F9F

Sponsored

JeepJohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Hi all new here. I have the same issue with the thrumming noise. 2021 rubicon 4xe. I wanted to try something before I changed the wheels to try to get rid of it. As others mentioned it it might be the plastic liner in the fender. There is a gap in the back fender where the liner meets the bumper pice if you look behind it you can see they have a pice of foam which I Imagine is to fill the gap. I surmise that air from the more aggressive tread of the stock K02 tires might be forcing air into it and causing a buffeting. Changing the size or with might cause it to not be as pronounced. If you see in the photo what I did was to put some masking tape over the gap. I only tested it briefly but I believe it has helped. As a control if someone else’s wants to try and report back that would be helpful. I am going to run it for a week like that to make sure there is actually a difference. If it doesn’t work next stop is new wheels and tires (honestly it was kinda a good excuse to buy new wheels) so I will report back after I get some more highway time with it.
Jeep Wrangler JL Thrumming Noise at Highway Speeds (63-67ish) 6AEDC717-50BE-4EEA-9091-726CD64A5F9F
Did this seem to fix the issue?

Sage73

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
My thrumming at 64-68mph is gone with new wheels and tires as well.

mygreenkaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
I started to notice this issue at about 15K miles... its anoying mine is only noticable at 63-65. Stock 2020 JLUR.

Guess good reason yo get new wheels.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Approaching this from a different point of view, are there any aftermarket wheel well liners that fix the issue? If there are some that don't look incredibly tacky, I might be interested in going that route, because I bet it's a lot cheaper than changing the wheels/tires when mine are still fairly new. lol.

Snakeman1992

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 willys
Welp after now just changing my tires to 34s toyo open country at 3, I have the infamous thrumming and vibration at highway speeds.. probably from like 63 to 70+mph… did not have this noise when I had falken wildpeak mts rubicon take offs on it. My jeep is a 2021 Willy’s jlu with a teraflex 1.5.

Sponsored

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Welp after now just changing my tires to 34s toyo open country at 3, I have the infamous thrumming and vibration at highway speeds.. probably from like 63 to 70+mph… did not have this noise when I had falken wildpeak mts rubicon take offs on it. My jeep is a 2021 Willy’s jlu with a teraflex 1.5.
Are you still using the stock rims? It seems to be the rims that are causing the problems.

Snakeman1992

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 willys
Are you still using the stock rims? It seems to be the rims that are causing the problems.
I am yes, just weird it’s never happened to me before for 15k miles until I out these toyos on. Unless I just always though it was the mts making noise while I drove.

CoFlyFishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon and 2017 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Any thoughts on my situation would be appreciated.

I began stock with the rubicon wheels and tires. I upgraded to 35” duratracs on the stock wheels and still had the thrumming. I switched to KO2 tires (315 70 17) and thrumming is minimized. Most recently I replaced the stock rims with black rhino chamber rims, 17x8.5, zero offset…same KO2 tires. The thrumming is back and worse than ever. I’ve had the wheels/tires balanced twice…both times I’m told they are fine.

So, any thoughts on what’s next? New liners, new drive shaft, just slap a lift on it and upgrade to 37s?

Thanks for any advice.
Jeep Wrangler JL Thrumming Noise at Highway Speeds (63-67ish) 13F5FD55-D166-4202-8DB7-0210DDBBC7AD

Last edited:

Category5Bronado

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Any thoughts on my situation would be appreciated.

I began stock with the rubicon wheels and tires. I upgraded to 35” duratracs on the stock wheels and still had the thrumming. I switched to KO2 tires (315 70 17) and thrumming is minimized. Most recently I replaced the stock rims with black rhino chamber rims, 17x8.5, zero offset…same KO2 tires. The thrumming is back and worse than ever. I’ve had the wheels/tires balanced twice…both times I’m told they are fine.
So, any thoughts on what’s next? New liners, new drive shaft, just slap a lift on it and upgrade to 37s?

Thanks for any advice.
Jeep Wrangler JL Thrumming Noise at Highway Speeds (63-67ish) 13F5FD55-D166-4202-8DB7-0210DDBBC7AD
Are those wheels hub centric?