Sponsored

Thrumming Noise at Highway Speeds (63-67ish)

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Seems to be the stock rubicon wheels then huh? I know my vibration went away when I swapped wheels and tires so maybe we finally found the issue?

Sponsored

JeepJohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Seems to be the stock rubicon wheels then huh? I know my vibration went away when I swapped wheels and tires so maybe we finally found the issue?
Did you use a torque wrench when you put them on? If so, how many ft lbs?

JeepJohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
I always do. For alloys I typically use 100-120 lbs.
I ask because apparently the manuel says 130 lbs, but it was suspected earlier in the thread that 130 may be to much for the stock wheels to handle. The concern was that they were getting warped which was causing the vibration. I believe in that same post, he said he was able to minimize the vibration by reducing the ft lbs?

Sponsored

W8KFM

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2020 Cherokee 2002 XJ Limited
I ask because apparently the manuel says 130 lbs, but it was suspected earlier in the thread that 130 may be to much for the stock wheels to handle. The concern was that they were getting warped which was causing the vibration. I believe in that same post, he said he was able to minimize the vibration by reducing the ft lbs?
I did that before I took the original wheels off and it seemed to help a little or maybe in my head I thought it helped. LOL

I drove the Jeep yesterday over 300 miles on different road surfaces and it was fine with the new wheels and 37 tires.. I'm very happy with it now!

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah makes sense. I was always taught for alloys 100-120 and steel wheels……honestly can’t remember, haven’t had steelies in a long while. Makes sense though and worth a shot. Not positive but I rotated my stock wheels a while back and always torque to 100 or so and I still remember the thrumming. It didn’t go away until I swapped rims and tires.

Gcodejedi

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JKUR
Reducing lug nut torque helped quite a bit for me. Mine had a nasty vibration starting at 45 right off the lot. Anyway, I finally fixed all my Jeep issues permanently by taking advantage of the market and trading it.

After 2 dead aux batteries, thrumming, random cutting out while cruising, cold start sputtering and the ever so helpful service department, I’m over Jeep’s for now. I’m not about to spend thousands of dollars on top of the vehicle cost and waste any more time to fix problems that came from the factory.

I may revisit Jeep’s again in the future. For now, Godspeed Jeepers;)

W8KFM

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2020 Cherokee 2002 XJ Limited
I cant blame you! I almost dumped mine for a new pickup. I'm happy with mine now but it cost a lot of money to fix i.t

BubbaJeep

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Reducing lug nut torque helped quite a bit for me. Mine had a nasty vibration starting at 45 right off the lot. Anyway, I finally fixed all my Jeep issues permanently by taking advantage of the market and trading it.

After 2 dead aux batteries, thrumming, random cutting out while cruising, cold start sputtering and the ever so helpful service department, I’m over Jeep’s for now. I’m not about to spend thousands of dollars on top of the vehicle cost and waste any more time to fix problems that came from the factory.

I may revisit Jeep’s again in the future. For now, Godspeed Jeepers;)
I am almost there myself. I have 4 Mopars in my driveway and I must say the way we have been handled by JeepCares and the dealers I think I maybe over the whole Jeep thing as well. JeepCares is a complete waste of time and the dealers just want the Rubicon out of their shop!!!! I may have a new Ford truck a Bronco and a Mustang.:)
Sponsored