Sponsored

Thrumming Noise at Highway Speeds (63-67ish)

JeepJohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
I have this issue but it seems to have went away.
I have split my rubicon fenders, used the AAL light kit and fender hardware, Artec inner fender liners, new rims and tires and reprogrammed with a Tazer for the new tire size.
I did the fender split first and liners and still had the thrumming noise, new rims and it was less noticeable, with the new tires it has completely went away. I would be willing to bet it’s a rim and tire issue.
.. I guess we’re back to the wheels/tires. Out of curiosity, what wheel tire combo/size did you go with?
Sponsored

Gcodejedi

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JKUR
Anyone having this issue try retorquing your wheels to 90ftlb. I think the factory 130ftlb spec is causing the factory wheels to warp and thrum.

Sponsored

Yamoo1

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu
Update..
Took to dealer for 5k service. Tokd them still vibrating. They rotated wheels and balanced the tires..
They said it was gone. I picked it up. The first day it was barely there I was like I can hardly tell .the next day it is back not as bad as was but for sure there. My wife calls them. The guys treats her like an idiot. He said when u put bigger offroad tires on there you will have vibration. She said this is stock have not done anything to it . then he's like that is just what rubicons do. She told the guy this isn't first jeep. And we know the gremlins of a jeep.she told him that it's scary to ride in and don't feel safe letting our daughter ride in. Then he said your being dramatic!!!
I have another appointment for Monday if they don't fix then then I'm going to start the process of lemon law.
Very upset over this. Jeep doesn't care about its owners

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
i'm sorry if you are upset bro. my experience: i've never been in a quiet wrangler

Yamoo1

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu
i'm sorry if you are upset bro. my experience: i've never been in a quiet wrangler
I know the normal sounds and quirks being my third. But this vibration is not normal

Gcodejedi

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JKUR
Has yours stopped thrumming after going with 90ftlbs?
The thrumming was significantly reduced for me after reducing lug nut torque. I'd say 90-95% better. Thrumming in the 50mph and 70mph range is completely gone and at ~64-68mph I can just barely feel it but even then sometimes I don't notice it all anymore.

Still not a 100% solution but much easier to live with on the hwy.

Sponsored

JeepJohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
The thrumming was significantly reduced for me after reducing lug nut torque. I'd say 90-95% better. Thrumming in the 50mph and 70mph range is completely gone and at ~64-68mph I can just barely feel it but even then sometimes I don't notice it all anymore.

Still not a 100% solution but much easier to live with on the hwy.

Did you reduce it to 90ftlbs or less than that?

Yamoo1

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu
I seen in an early jl thread a couple people rotated their pinion flange 180 degrees on the shaft and took care of

Gcodejedi

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JKUR
I seen in an early jl thread a couple people rotated their pinion flange 180 degrees on the shaft and took care of
Someone had success doing that early in this thread as well. I didn't have success with it. Over about a month, I clocked my drive shaft in all 8 positions at the pinion and tailshaft and didn't notice a difference. It's easy enough to be worth a shot tho if you haven't tried it.