Sponsored

Thrumming Noise at Highway Speeds (63-67ish)

W8KFM

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2020 Cherokee 2002 XJ Limited
That would be nice, but I've noticed the thrumming when coasting in neutral, at idle.
I took the rear driveshaft to local shop and had the balance checked and it is OK. The vibration is much better with the rear shaft removed but not perfect. I really don't know what I'm going to do with it next but it is annoying to drive on the interstate so it mostly just sits in the garage. I drive it around town once in a while and that's it. We were planning on a trip to Colorado and Moab next summer but there's no way I'll drive the miserable thing from Ohio out there!
Sponsored

KansasJL

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Replaced the stock rims and I am still running the stock tires. It is still there but it has seem to improve a little bit.

JeepJohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
I feel the vibration in the steering wheel at between 63-67ish mph. Has anyone checked to see if it’s their wheel bearings? I was also noticing how cheap the stock inner wheel well skins are. Is it possible they are vibrating in the wind at a certain speed range? Does anyone who replaced them with aftermarket ones still have this issue?

W8KFM

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I feel the vibration in the steering wheel at between 63-67ish mph. Has anyone checked to see if it’s their wheel bearings? I was also noticing how cheap the stock inner wheel well skins are. Is it possible they are vibrating in the wind at a certain speed range? Does anyone who replaced them with aftermarket ones still have this issue?
The inner fenders were discussed early in this thread but I don't think it was ever confirmed that was the problem. My problem is at the speeds you mentioned but it is a lot better with the rear driveshaft removed and running off the front shaft. I think my problem is driveline related.

Yamoo1

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu
Has this been reported to jeep cares. I know they usually have someone follow these threads but I haven't seen anything from them on this. Is this experience d on non rubicon models? Maybe it's the height of the fenders if not. Is it any better in the rain for anyone? It's really aggervating that jeeps are not cheap and we have this problem.

Sponsored

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
I have a new Willys, and do not have any issues FWIW.

G.

W8KFM

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a new Willys, and do not have any issues FWIW.

G.
They were involved earlier in the thread. I think the problem is just on Rubicons

JeepJohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
The inner fenders were discussed early in this thread but I don't think it was ever confirmed that was the problem. My problem is at the speeds you mentioned but it is a lot better with the rear driveshaft removed and running off the front shaft. I think my problem is driveline related.
Do you think it would go away with an aftermarket drive shaft?

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Do you think it would go away with an aftermarket drive shaft?
I think it's the axles...either internal shafts or the tubes, but this is purely a guess.

Country JLU

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Add another 20 Rubicon to the list. Did it stock and still does it lifted on 37’s. Adjustable arms and have moved pinion from +1 to -3 and no change. I’m going to put Fox ATS steering stabilizer on to see if it will dampen the vibration in the steering wheel.

Sponsored

JeepJohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
It’s funny.. There’s times when I’m at 63ish and this is really noticeable and there are times when I don’t notice it at all in the same speed range. It seems dumb, but I wonder if this is something fluttering due to wind resistance. It seems like it is worse on windy days.

Yamoo1

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu
It’s funny.. There’s times when I’m at 63ish and this is really noticeable and there are times when I don’t notice it at all in the same speed range. It seems dumb, but I wonder if this is something fluttering due to wind resistance. It seems like it is worse on windy days.
I am wondering if the inner fenders are it. They are real flemsy. Has anyone replaced these

Qjoh5510

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Operator
I’ve noticed this too. Although the days where it’s not noticeable are far and few in between.

JeepJohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
I’ve noticed this too. Although the days where it’s not noticeable are far and few in between.
Mine is the same in that the days where this isn’t noticeable are few and far between, but there must be a reason for this. Of course the day I took the service manager from my local dealership out for a ride there was no thrumming but the very next day it was back. Like Yamoo1 said, has anyone replaced the inner fender liners who still has this issue??

KansasJL

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have this issue but it seems to have went away.
I have split my rubicon fenders, used the AAL light kit and fender hardware, Artec inner fender liners, new rims and tires and reprogrammed with a Tazer for the new tire size.
I did the fender split first and liners and still had the thrumming noise, new rims and it was less noticeable, with the new tires it has completely went away. I would be willing to bet it’s a rim and tire issue.
Sponsored