Sponsored

Thrumming Noise at Highway Speeds (63-67ish)

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I think different tires just hides the issue or makes it more pronounced depending on the tires but sounds like it doesn’t eliminate it completely. Glad it fixed your issue but still not convinced it’s the problem.

Last edited:

W8KFM

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2020 Cherokee 2002 XJ Limited
I removed the rear driveshaft again and took it to a shop to have them check the balance. I drove the Jeep again off the front shaft and the vibration is 95% better. They had road force balanced the tires and there sure is a lot of weights on a couple of the wheels, I'm not going to discount the wheels being part of the problem. My shaft has a lot of runout also so I'll see what the shop finds out with the shaft and go from there.

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
With many reporting rear differential issues, it wouldn't surprise me if it was a contributing factor.

Nele

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangled JL U Rubicon
I have a 2021 unlimited rubicon with the same issue. I have put more miles on my jeep bringing it back and forth from the dealer than just driving it. It has been in the shop for a total of 5 visits for 12 days. The tech's take it for a test drive and feel the vibration but have not been able to figure it out. When I pick up the vehicle, they say " we couldn't find anything, it's normal ". If it were normal, why don't they take it for a test drive and come right back and say "it's normal ". Instead they all recognize that there's a problem and keep the car for days trying to figure it out. I requested to go for a test drive in another Rubicon and when we got it out on the freeway, it DID NOT have the same vibration so how can my issue be normal. I'm really surprised that Jeep isn't taking this issue more seriously and coming up with a fix.
UPDATE******
The dealership has finally fixed the issue. They had to replace all 4 tires and the rear rims and the vibration is gone. I think it's the rims that had some type of flaw. What's really disappointing is that Jeep would not approve and pay for the fix. The dealership stepped up and paid. They changed the rear rims just to see if it helped and it did. They provided brand new tires because they didn't know if the vibration had worn the tires in a funny way and didn't want to take a chance. I know a lot of people will say that this is not the issue with their jeep, I'm just saying that this is what worked on mine. Good luck!!

Sponsored

Qjoh5510

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Operator
UPDATE******
The dealership has finally fixed the issue. They had to replace all 4 tires and the rear rims and the vibration is gone. I think it's the rims that had some type of flaw. What's really disappointing is that Jeep would not approve and pay for the fix. The dealership stepped up and paid. They changed the rear rims just to see if it helped and it did. They provided brand new tires because they didn't know if the vibration had worn the tires in a funny way and didn't want to take a chance. I know a lot of people will say that this is not the issue with their jeep, I'm just saying that this is what worked on mine. Good luck!!
I believe there was some talk earlier in the thread about the wheels causing the issue as well.

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I believe there was some talk earlier in the thread about the wheels causing the issue as well.
I replaced my Sport wheels and tires with Rubicon take offs. There was no perceivable change.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I think his might be a “one off” type deal. People here have aftermarket wheels and different tires and still have the vibration.
Thanks, that's what I read.

JeepJohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Jeep Wrangler JL Thrumming Noise at Highway Speeds (63-67ish) 8F31DA2C-3A3B-4E13-BC2E-5E0D9FA3F57F

I’m itching to put on bigger tires and aftermarket wheels, but I want to have this thrumming issue resolved first. Otherwise, as I’ve seen others mention, the dealer will claim the thrumming is due to the bigger tires. Please help! Let’s figure this out!

JeepJohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
I took a pole on Facebook Rubicon page and only a few people out of over a hundred that responded replied that they have this issue. What’s different about ours?

Sponsored

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
That is interesting. Really wish we knew what is was already. I’m able to ignore it but it would be nice to solve this. I’d say we can wait til it breaks....but it may not ever break depending on what it is.

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score