Sponsored

Thrumming Noise at Highway Speeds (63-67ish)

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Not yet. There’s a theory it could be the fender liners. Haven’t ruled them out yet, waiting for someone who has had the issue and then since swapped them out to see if the problem was fixed.
Sponsored

Gcodejedi

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JKUR
They called after having it all day and told me that they were unable to duplicate the vibration! I’m like c’mon if you drive it at 63-67 ish you can hear and feel the thrumming. I requested a ride along road test so I’ll be doing that tomorrow.
Get ready to hear “they all do it” and/or “it’s a characteristic of a 4wd vehic
I was to my dealer today and he told me right off it is tire vibration but he agreed to look at it on the 6th of next month..It really does feel like drive shaft vibration but mine does with stock suspension..The shaft angles looks good by just eyeing it but I will check the angles at my garage..I am also thinking of removing the rear shaft and run it off the front shaft and check it that way..I've been messing with lift kits in vehicles since 1975 and have delt with vibrations before and it's sometimes a real PITA!
I drove in 4Hi with the rear shaft removed just as @W8KFM suggests and the thrumming is completely gone. I think @1977Jimmy has it nailed at being a rear driveshaft angle issue.

I think the pinion angle is set too high from the factory. I’m going to order a set of adjustable lower control arms to see if rotating the pinion to be 0-1 degree lower than the shaft clears the thrum.

JeepJohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL

I drove in 4Hi with the rear shaft removed just as @W8KFM suggests and the thrumming is completely gone. I think @1977Jimmy has it nailed at being a rear driveshaft angle issue.

I think the pinion angle is set too high from the factory. I’m going to order a set of adjustable lower control arms to see if rotating the pinion to be 0-1 degree lower than the shaft clears the thrum.
Please let us know. Thank you

Sponsored

W8KFM

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2020 Cherokee 2002 XJ Limited

Did you use an angle gauge to find the actual angle degree on each end of the shaft? If you lower the pinion end you will create more angle at the output shaft of the transfer case. On mine there probably isn't 2 degrees of angle at either end. I didn't remove my shaft yet because its going to the dealer tomorrow, they get one chance then I'll figure it out myself. I wonder if there isn't too much shaft runout. I really don't expect the shaft angles to be the problem.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Thanks Courtney.. I’d hope you can see we could all use additional support on this. Has there been any fix for this? “Jeep Cares” should know. Please share with us any fix or let us know what Jeep plans to do to eliminate this issue from the JL Rubicon.

Thank you,
Happy Holidays
Good afternoon everyone,

I sincerely apologize for the frustration you might be experiencing right now. However, I can assure you that we are closely monitoring these conversations and documenting your concerns for review. We will keep you updated throughout the process. In the meantime, please do not hesitate to reach out to our team with questions and concerns if you need additional support while working with your Jeep dealers. Thank you for your patience!

Courtney
Jeep Cares

GSLSE21B

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jLURD

I just lifted my 2021 diesel and had the harmonic vibration at speed , my rear driveshaft was 2-2.5 degrees low after suspension settling . Adjusted it up to within .5° Below at static height . Zero vibration at speed now

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
I just lifted my 2021 diesel and had the harmonic vibration at speed , my rear driveshaft was 2-2.5 degrees low after suspension settling . Adjusted it up to within .5° Below at static height . Zero vibration at speed now
That’s interesting. I’ll have to take a look at mine but it didn’t seem to be at any crazy angle at all.

Sponsored

Nele

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangled JL U Rubicon
I have a 2021 unlimited rubicon with the same issue. I have put more miles on my jeep bringing it back and forth from the dealer than just driving it. It has been in the shop for a total of 5 visits for 12 days. The tech's take it for a test drive and feel the vibration but have not been able to figure it out. When I pick up the vehicle, they say " we couldn't find anything, it's normal ". If it were normal, why don't they take it for a test drive and come right back and say "it's normal ". Instead they all recognize that there's a problem and keep the car for days trying to figure it out. I requested to go for a test drive in another Rubicon and when we got it out on the freeway, it DID NOT have the same vibration so how can my issue be normal. I'm really surprised that Jeep isn't taking this issue more seriously and coming up with a fix.

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
That’s interesting the other rubicon didn’t have it. It seems with others have test driven other rubicons on the lot, they too have the issue. If it’s not all of them, what’s different?

Qjoh5510

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Operator
That’s interesting the other rubicon didn’t have it. It seems with others have test driven other rubicons on the lot, they too have the issue. If it’s not all of them, what’s different?
I wonder if anything drivetrain related was updated for the 2021s.

Yamoo1

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu
Mine is a 21 rubi. And does excact same thing. You would think a 56g vehicle wouldn't have problems. It drives me crazy I can live with the squeaks .but the vibration is aggervating as hell.
Sponsored